Apple plans to kill off 2010 and 2011 Mac Support with macOS 10.14 Mojave*

AlTech

Well, they're really aging at this point. 

Not surprising. 

Kinda happy that the iPhone 5s is getting one more OS upgrade though. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

24 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Well, they're really aging at this point. 

Not surprising. 

Kinda happy that the iPhone 5s is getting one more OS upgrade though. 

Tbh, that A7 chip is still a formidable SoC today, with the phone itself really only wanting for more RAM. Those Cyclone cores were/are a very forward thinking design as there isn't much in the Android realm today that can duke it out with them on a per-clock basis.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, NoodleFish said:

I can't even update my 2012 MacBook Pro to the latest Mac OS. Might need a reset. Btw, I thought this forum was for the PC master race?

It is though

As far as the upgrade of the MacBook Pro is concerned: that’s the main way how Apple makes money out of their customers: by selling them hardware. Microsoft on the other hand uses another strategy: they make profit by selling software.

26 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

It is though

As far as the upgrade of the MacBook Pro is concerned: that’s the main way how Apple makes money out of their customers: by selling them hardware. Microsoft on the other hand uses another strategy: they make profit by selling software.

Bingo. This is exactly why entities that regulate markets usually split companies apart. If Apple only sold software they would want to have as much market as possible and would release the new OS for everyone, if you could run it or not that would be your problem, just like any other product. 

If you end up running Windows 10 in a potato even just for the fun, it's on you, they will sell it, it meant more sales, more money.

38 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Bingo. This is exactly why entities that regulate markets usually split companies apart. If Apple only sold software they would want to have as much market as possible and would release the new OS for everyone, if you could run it or not that would be your problem, just like any other product. 

If you end up running Windows 10 in a potato even just for the fun, it's on you, they will sell it, it meant more sales, more money.

Indeed, that's the main difference in sales strategy between Apple and Microsoft.

It's in Microsoft's benefit to make Windows as resource friendly as possible to make it run on as many PCs as possible.

11 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Indeed, that's the main difference in sales strategy between Apple and Microsoft.

It's in Microsoft's benefit to make Windows as resource friendly as possible to make it run on as many PCs as possible.

Yeah well, a lot of people forget Apple still sells software. FCP X costs like $299.00 USD which is expensive $$$.

It's sad to see Apple not further improving their iWork Apps.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

27 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

True, but with the profit margins on Apple's hardware they're really making up for that,and as mentioned they still sell software.  And with this update Apple is also adding iOS apps, so I could see them adding more of the iOS store later with paid apps.

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, but the latest version of Windows and Linux can be installed on very old system past 10 years.

Can be installed and being supported are two entirely different things. Yes, you can install W10 on a Pentium 4, but the official software support likely ended with XP or Vista. That means it technically doesn't support Windows 10, but works fine with it.

For some Macs, you could also get a newer version running. For instance, an early 2008 MacBook Pro non-unibody, wasn't supposed to run anything past El Capitan 10.11.6 but could be made to run Sierra and High Sierra with a specially made patcher, albeit at a loss of WiFi connectivity (but you could switch cards no problem).

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

49 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah well, a lot of people forget Apple still sells software. FCP X costs like $299.00 USD which is expensive $$$.

41 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

True, but with the profit margins on Apple's hardware they're really making up for that,and as mentioned they still sell software.  And with this update Apple is also adding iOS apps, so I could see them adding more of the iOS store later with paid apps.

True, but if you follow that reasoning: Microsoft also sells hardware... :)

10 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

True, but if you follow that reasoning: Microsoft also sells hardware... :)

Well, to a certain extent they're actually worse than Apple as Microsoft has basically stopped giving firmware updates for their Surface Pro 3.

While Apple still supports laptops from 2012.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well, to a certain extent they're actually worse than Apple as Microsoft has basically stopped giving firmware updates for their Surface Pro 3.

While Apple still supports laptops from 2012.

To be fair, the Surface Pro 3 was a bit of a trainwreck reliability wise, so I can see why they're trying to forget the thing xD 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

To be fair, the Surface Pro 3 was a bit of a trainwreck reliability wise, so I can see why they're trying to forget the thing xD 

The surface Pro 3 was indeed a disaster xD

Trying to make it die quietly...

40 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Can be installed and being supported are two entirely different things. Yes, you can install W10 on a Pentium 4, but the official software support likely ended with XP or Vista. That means it technically doesn't support Windows 10, but works fine with it.

For some Macs, you could also get a newer version running. For instance, an early 2008 MacBook Pro non-unibody, wasn't supposed to run anything past El Capitan 10.11.6 but could be made to run Sierra and High Sierra with a specially made patcher, albeit at a loss of WiFi connectivity (but you could switch cards no problem).

in PC one thing is the manufacturer support other is the OS. And to be fair Windows 10 is amazing at supporting old hardware.

I recently had to do a fresh install of W10 on a 2011 laptop, and even if ASUS stop supporting it ages ago, W10 alone solved all the problems of drivers during installation, this was not the case with windows 7 or 8. Microsoft is doing an amazing job with W10 in this regard.

It may miss some hotkeys and stuff like that but it's all accessory, the computer works just fine.

29 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Being even more fair Apple hasn't had great macbook reliability either,just one example Apple designing keyboards that fail unless you're in a clean room environment is kind of a trainwreck, IMO.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Being even more fair Apple hasn't had great macbook reliability either,just one example Apple designing their keyboards that fail unless you're in a clean room environment is kind of a trainwreck, IMO.

A keyboard problem isn't that comparable to outright system board failure and battery problems like the majority of SP3s face.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

$300 is actually pretty cheap for what you get, relative to similar apps like adobe premiere. Plus if you qualify for the educational discount, you get all five apps for $200. 

Final Cut Pro really only exists to sell more Mac hardware. I still remember that Jonathan Morrison video where he challenges Linus to a video editing contest using his MacBook.  

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

A keyboard problem isn't that comparable to outright system board failure and battery problems like the majority of SP3s face.

A keyboard problem is a pretty big deal on a premium laptop, especially when it took a lawsuit for Apple to admit the issue and still haven't gone back to the scissor switch keys. Apple has had both problems also, batteries expanding that damage the trackpad and chassis,motherboards failing or not charging the battery. A majority? If that were true MS wouldn't able to hide it, both brands having flaws with such high end hardware failing is unacceptable either way, i'd personally buy something else.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A keyboard problem is a pretty big deal on a premium laptop, especially when it took a lawsuit for Apple to admit the issue and still haven't gone back to the scissor switch keys. Apple has had both problems also, batteries expanding that damage the trackpad and chassis,motherboards failing or not charging the battery. A majority? If that were true MS wouldn't able to hide it, both brands having flaws with such high end hardware failing is unacceptable either way, i'd personally buy something else.

You're overlooking the fact that the overall RMA rate for the 2016 and 2017 Macs is noticeably lower than for the previous models even though keyboard related issues are higher. Plus the keyboard on the 2017 model also solved some of the issues as its keyboard RMA rate is lower than the 2016 model by a sizeable amount.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

13 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Swapped it with an 850 evo lol so not 100% apple

and my point exactly. xD

Works well. I get cheap used workstation or business oriented regular laptops like dell precisions or latitudes for less than 200-250 on ebay typically with everything I want and throw an SSD in there. Right now I own 2 precisions that cost me less than 250 each 2 years ago, sandy i7, quadro mxm cards (type a, so not really useful for upgrade), 8GB memory (should added more when it was cheap lol) and I added a 480GB SSD in each and slapped the hard drives where the blur ray drives were. 1080p matte screens (matte most important feature to me), really they do everything I want aside from games just fine. Now they are about 150$ on ebay and they work better with an ssd than most new low end laptops. Old high end laptops + SSD is really the way to go even for a workstation if you don't plan on gaming.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So they won't be testing and verifying that the latest OS will work on those 8 year old machines?  Seems fair to me tbh.  That's a decent lifespan and even without official support, odds are they'll still run the latest version fine for many more years.

...or is that not how that works?  Will it actually be impossible to install the latest version on those machines due to some sort of intentional and unnecessary blockade?  I wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

Also, how long to previous versions of the OS continue to get security patches?  Is it several more years after they are no longer current, or do they stop immediately as you're expected to just update?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So they won't be testing and verifying that the latest OS will work on those 8 year old machines? 

No, it's different. They're also likely removing the ability for those machines to run the new OS.

Seems fair to me tbh.  That's a decent lifespan and even without official support, odds are they'll still run the latest version fine for many more years.

You mean the current version?

With Macs, after a device is no longer supported, they don't get updates. And the only way to install them is through unofficial methods.

...or is that not how that works?  Will it actually be impossible to install the latest version on those machines due to some sort of intentional and unnecessary blockade?  I wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

Also, how long to previous versions of the OS continue to get security patches?  Is it several more years after they are no longer current, or do they stop immediately as you're expected to just update?

El Capitan (10.11) received security updates until 2017 afaik. 

Ech. I've got an old mid-2010 Macbook A1342 (the 2.4GHz C2D model) and it's a nice little system for light web browsing and messing around with seeing as I normally otherwise use Windows and Linux for my systems. I'm kinda sad it won't get official updates past MacOS 10.13.*, but in the end that's not too big a deal for something that I don't need to keep fully up-to-date in terms of major OS updates and I was expecting it'd eventually stop being supported anyway.

19 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

It is though

Apple users themselves are pretty ignorant. I remember last year on craigslist, you could have grabbed your self a "totally relevant" MacBook from 2010 for $600 CAD. Lmao, get a life ppl.

It's okay, they don't offer support for new stuff either.

9 minutes ago, NoodleFish said:

Users themselves are pretty ignorant. I remember last year on craigslist, you could have grabbed your self a "totally relevant" MacBook from 2010 for $600 CAD. Lmao, get a life ppl.

FTFY. 

And it's simple economics -- some people prefer Mac OS over Windows, and it just so happens that the market isn't flooded with Macs nor do they ever see 70% off sales. As such, they retain their value. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.