Do i need to start over? or continue this idea?

im am new to PC gaming. been playing on console for all my life but recently saw what higher FPS looks like and i'm hooked..

last year i purchased an HP Pavilion 530-p135 destop with an I-7 6700 16gig or ram and 1 TB of hdd.  when i purchased i was not thinking about gaming, i simply wanted a PC that would last me for a while running my DAW.

so since i got interested in gaming (last 6 months) i've been looking into a GPU and decided to go for a GTX1070.  this is where my problem starts.  i researched what i need to consider on the HP forums,  and im told that due to the 24 pin power connector being right next to the PCI slot, it does not allow for a dual slot GPU to properly seat. so according to HP forums,  im out of luck.  i could only go for a single slot GPU or just get a new PC with a GTX1070 on it already. i also asked about buying a new motherboard and case and used my existing CPU, RAM and HDD, but i was also told that this is not worth it because of the hidden costs. is this true?

since i spent $700 on this desktop last year, i really dont want to just go buy a new PC with the  GTX1070 in it. 

so i started thinking,  what can i do to work this out.  HOPEFULLY THIS IS WHERE YOUR COMMENTS CAN HELP DIRECT ME THE RIGHT WAY.

i had an idea to buy a PCI extender and mount the GTX1070 somwhere else in the case, it will probably take some work but im thinking it can be done.  Do any of you think this will not work?  or too much hassle? do you think im better off buying a new PC like i was told before?   any other ideas?

thanks

r0bo

Just buy a new case and power supply, have you already bought the 1070 and what is your budget?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

13 minutes ago, R0bo said:

im am new to PC gaming. been playing on console for all my life but recently saw what higher FPS looks like and i'm hooked..

last year i purchased an HP Pavilion 530-p135 destop with an I-7 6700 16gig or ram and 1 TB of hdd.  when i purchased i was not thinking about gaming, i simply wanted a PC that would last me for a while running my DAW.

so since i got interested in gaming (last 6 months) i've been looking into a GPU and decided to go for a GTX1070.  this is where my problem starts.  i researched what i need to consider on the HP forums,  and im told that due to the 24 pin power connector being right next to the PCI slot, it does not allow for a dual slot GPU to properly seat. so according to HP forums,  im out of luck.  i could only go for a single slot GPU or just get a new PC with a GTX1070 on it already. i also asked about buying a new motherboard and case and used my existing CPU, RAM and HDD, but i was also told that this is not worth it because of the hidden costs. is this true?

since i spent $700 on this desktop last year, i really dont want to just go buy a new PC with the  GTX1070 in it. 

so i started thinking,  what can i do to work this out.  HOPEFULLY THIS IS WHERE YOUR COMMENTS CAN HELP DIRECT ME THE RIGHT WAY.

i had an idea to buy a PCI extender and mount the GTX1070 somwhere else in the case, it will probably take some work but im thinking it can be done.  Do any of you think this will not work?  or too much hassle? do you think im better off buying a new PC like i was told before?   any other ideas?

thanks

r0bo

It sounds like you could keep everything but your motherboard, case and probably power supply.  Find a new motherboard and use your existing cpu, still a viable option for gaming,

sold

yes,  the 1070 is in my budget but i have not purchased it. i was getting ready to get it when i found out about the motherboard issue. 

3 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Just buy a new case and power supply

I doubt the motherboard is a standard formfactor so would need that as well

Looking at the images i can find: 

Spoiler

83-286-169-Z06.jpg

PCI extender would be a challenge to fit but if you do manage it that would be awesome!

The other issue is that is only 180W power supply, I would leave it to others to weigh in but I'd be worried that isn't enough.

15 minutes ago, R0bo said:

buying a new motherboard and case and used my existing CPU, RAM and HDD

I think this is the way to go...

9 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Just buy a new case and power supply, have you already bought the 1070 and what is your budget?

it's not as easy as that, sometimes you get a board with proprietary I/O connectors that needs tinkering around to figure out which pins are for what(assuming it can even work).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, R0bo said:

yes,  the 1070 is in my budget but i have not purchased it. i was getting ready to get it when i found out about the motherboard issue. 

open up your case and see if the mobo connector is really in the way or not. if it is then see if you can find a gtx 1070 katana.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

if it is then see if you can find a gtx 1070 katana

Make sure you check the length as well, looking at internal pics, you don't have that much room due to the hard drive cage.

25 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

open up your case and see if the mobo connector is really in the way or not. if it is then see if you can find a gtx 1070 katana.

no luck finding this card,  but thanks for the info.. i didnt know this existed.

I can think of two solutions:

1. Get a smaller GPU. Link to smaller GPU

2. get a right angle 24 pin connecter. Link to Connecter

Tell me if any of these ideas work. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

5 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

I can think of two solutions:

1. Get a smaller GPU. Link to smaller GPU

2. get a right angle 24 pin connecter. Link to Connecter

Tell me if any of these ideas work. 

funny,  i was just looking at one of these right angle connectors..   i think i will try it.  

30 minutes ago, R0bo said:

funny,  i was just looking at one of these right angle connectors..   i think i will try it.  

It is only $7 usd so it is worth a try.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

19 hours ago, R0bo said:

What's your budget?

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

2 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

What's your budget?

well, technically i would spend up to 1400 on a PC ready for gaming, but that includes the $700 HP pavilion desktop that i already have... if i can sell it for at least 500 im willing to spend another $800 ish..  otherwise make this one work.

4 hours ago, R0bo said:

well, technically i would spend up to 1400 on a PC ready for gaming, but that includes the $700 HP pavilion desktop that i already have... if i can sell it for at least 500 im willing to spend another $800 ish..  otherwise make this one work.

No by budget that means what disposable income do you have now in cash/bank account/gift cards that you are planning on spending on this computer

My current rig:

1 hour ago, hconverse02 said:

No by budget that means what disposable income do you have now in cash/bank account/gift cards that you are planning on spending on this computer

$700 right now...   thinking i was going to be able to buy a PSU and a GPU and easily swap them out. 

2 hours ago, R0bo said:

$700 right now...   thinking i was going to be able to buy a PSU and a GPU and easily swap them out. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($549.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $708.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-06 20:43 EDT-0400

This is much better, you don't know if the psu, gpu and a new motherboard would fit in the same case, or if that motherboard would fit in another case without buying and trying, so this would be great, and the 1070 is still overpriced, so the 1080 is a much better choice at only $550.

EDIT: Also know that the 1070 and 1070ti are $20 apart, and the 1070ti is much better when overclocked http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3943vs3609 https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369,415&X=0,49188

My current rig:

13 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($549.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $708.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-06 20:43 EDT-0400

This is much better, you don't know if the psu, gpu and a new motherboard would fit in the same case, or if that motherboard would fit in another case without buying and trying, so this would be great, and the 1070 is still overpriced, so the 1080 is a much better choice at only $550.

EDIT: Also know that the 1070 and 1070ti are $20 apart, and the 1070ti is much better when overclocked http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3943vs3609 https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369,415&X=0,49188

Nice!!!!   thanks for taking the time to look into this. now i just have to trust myself to take my Pavilion's processor and make sure i put this one together correctly :) 

• 2 weeks later...

so i decided to buy the parts i needed to build my own PC.  i used my old CPU,  RAM and HDD.  got all the parts and took them to a local shop to get everything installed correctly (since i've never worked on PC's before) 

do any of you know if i have something to worry about taking all these new parts to a shop i've never dealt with?  my mail concern was the GPU,  i got a gigabyte GTX 1080.  is it possible for the shop to swap anything on this card that i wont notice?

thanks

robo