[SOLVED] Quiet PC Project: Silent PSU

buri

hi everyone, i am trying to make my pc more quiet so i focus on 3 elements to change to reduce noise.

1- psu

2- rear fan

3- cpu fan (already ordered noctua l9i)

my components;

- i3-8100 stock

- gigabyte lga 1151 z370 hd3

- gigabyte gtx 1060 3 gb

- samsung evo 960 m2 nvme 

- corsair vengeance lpx 8 gb ddr4

- corsair carbide 100r case

- corsair vs550 psu

- 2x 4tb wd red nas hdd - thinking to add soon

for my setup what is the most quiet psu on the market i can buy? and i think my wattage comes out around 365. PC will run 24/7 as i am thinking to turn it as a media server.

thanks alot

The quietest you can get is going to be a fanless model, but those are quite expensive, usually upwards of 75% or more expensive compared to their brothers. Next would be to buy a hybrid model which shuts the fan off until the PSU reaches a certain temp. Most good quality units have this feature. I personally have this one in my home media PC that I only use to watch Hulu, Netflix or Amazon prime. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438124

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

Think silverstone and seasonic Both make fanless units

you think fanless psu is a good idea? i seen some posts and videos that any psu needs fan cooling to be efficient

get a semi-passive psu fan. like the corsair rm650x, or whatever wattage you want. the psu is really silent. fan is not spinning at lower than half the wattage and even if on it's super silent

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

28 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

get a semi-passive psu fan. like the corsair rm650x, or whatever wattage you want. the psu is really silent. fan is not spinning at lower than half the wattage and even if on it's super silent

i heard rm650x and rm750x are very quiet. Also be quiet brand has quiet ones. 

i was just thinking to change the fan of my PSU to a good one, can be an option?

1 hour ago, buri said:

you think fanless psu is a good idea? i seen some posts and videos that any psu needs fan cooling to be efficient

no, it is not because you need the fan anyway.

Get a good, quiet PSU.

You don't need to spend that much either.

If you want to be cheap:
be quiet Pure Power 10 or Bitfenix Formula

Otherwise Bitfenix Whisper M

You have to get the 450 or 550W bitfenix because 650W and up have +50% more fan RPM under lower loads.

1 hour ago, NoobCase said:

Think silverstone and seasonic Both make fanless units

Fanless does not mean quiet.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 minutes ago, buri said:

i heard rm650x and rm750x are very quiet. Also be quiet brand has quiet ones. 

i was just thinking to change the fan of my PSU to a good one, can be an option?

For that rig, 650 or 750W is total overkill - you could power at least 3 PCs with that - waste of money with no benefit for you.

And no, lower relative load does NOT mean quieter!

Especially if they change the fan for higher power models.

Be quiet is a good idea.

57 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

For that rig, 650 or 750W is total overkill - you could power at least 3 PCs with that - waste of money with no benefit for you.

And no, lower relative load does NOT mean quieter!

Especially if they change the fan for higher power models.

Be quiet is a good idea.

in cooler master psu calculater load wattage came out 316W and recommended was 366W so a 400W be quiet Pure Power 10 should be sufficient, right?

6 minutes ago, buri said:

in cooler master psu calculater load wattage came out 316W and recommended was 366W so a 400W be quiet Pure Power 10 should be sufficient, right?

Don't use those "PSU calculators". They overestimate by a ton. Take their estimate, halve it, and you're closer to the real power consumption.

Yes, it's plenty. 

:)

You can perfectly get a dead silent PSU without semi-passive mode.

Regarding EVGA B3, it's highly possible that when the fan turns on it does so with high RPM (Cybenetics: https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=yfR), and you don't want to be hearing the fan start and stop every X minutes/hours. The B3 is not a safe bet, and Pure Power 10 & Formula (like Stefan recommended) are absolutely great units in terms of noise.

2 hours ago, buri said:

Get a Powermeter.

Those PSU Calculators are totally off if you use it wrong. Wich means input more than GPU and CPU.

But yeah, a 400W Pure Power 10 is plenty!

I used a 400W Pure Power 10 with my i7-3930K and RX480 OC and still had plenty of room.

6 hours ago, buri said:

hi everyone, i am trying to make my pc more quiet so i focus on 3 elements to change to reduce noise.

1- psu

2- rear fan

3- cpu fan (already ordered noctua l9i)

my components;

- i3-8100 stock

- gigabyte lga 1151 z370 hd3

- gigabyte gtx 1060 3 gb

- samsung evo 960 m2 nvme 

- corsair vengeance lpx 8 gb ddr4

- corsair carbide 100r case

- corsair vs550 psu

- 2x 4tb wd red nas hdd - thinking to add soon

for my setup what is the most quiet psu on the market i can buy? and i think my wattage comes out around 365. PC will run 24/7 as i am thinking to turn it as a media server.

thanks alot

The aforementioned be Quiet units are probably going to be fine for your needs. If you can't find them for a reasonable price, then something like a Corsair RMx/RMi should do nicely as well.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

thanks everyone, i think i will order the pure power 10 400W and check how its. 

here is the current psu´s noise, i dont know if its normal or needs to be checked. its under warranty still

https://bit.ly/2JgKfUI

at the end i went with Straight Power 10 400W w/ silent wings 3 inside. DEAD SILENT :) recommend it to everyone

Only drawback i see, not modular and still coming with FDD connections, wtf :D