ThrottleStop - What does this stand for and what does it do?

Go to solution Solved by Jurrunio,
3 minutes ago, Pio Soesetio said:

1. What does speedstep and speedshift do?

2. I heard that setting speedshift to 0 ensures max performance, is it true? and the lower the number, the higher the performance becasue of max power delivery to the core

3. If no. 2 is true, when i change the speedshift max and min to the lowest number which is 1 in the Turbo Power Limits tab in ThrottleStop, why is my core limited to the lowest clock speed (800 MHz)

4. What does BD Prochot do exactly?

5. What is cache ratio and should I change it (in the FIVR tab)

6. What is Analog I/O, System Agent? And should I undervolt that too?

7. I have a dedicated gpu (gtx 1050 Ti), will undervolting the intel gpu do anything to increase performance of the core? (because less power delivered to the gpu, does it mean more power will be used for the core?)

8. What is package power limit, and can i change that in a laptop since changing the package power short and package power long doesn't seem to change my tdp.

9. What is clamp in the TPL tab? should i check it or not

10. What is PP0, PP0 Current Limit, and PP0 current limit, does changing it make an impact? changing the power limit doesn't seem to change my tdp

11. What is intel power balance (TPL tab)

12. What is the tdp level control (TPL tab), i change mine to 0, heard that it will give max performance but my tdp doesn't change at all.

13. What is BCLK, C3, and DTS

1. Speedstep and speedshift both allow the clock speed and voltage of the CPU to change according to load, but through different means. Speedstep is carried out by the OS, Speedshift is carried out by the CPU itself.

2. Speedshift to 0 disables it and locks the core clock to its base clock. Turbo clock still only kicks in when appropriate but not all the time, so while the claim is true in theory (eliminates time for OS to ramp up clock speed), you can't tell difference in reality

3. Try larger numbers

4. BD Prochot stops the CPU from underclocking when it gets near the thermal shutdown temperature, and will shut down right away without notice when it reaches it's thermal shutdown point.

5. CPU cache ratio decreases cache latency, a bit like memory overclocking. Effect is tiny, so leave it as is.

6. Analog I/O are things like onboard sensors (Vccio refers to the voltage of this in desktops). System Agent are stuff like the memory controller and PCIe bus controller (as Vccsa in desktops). Both consume little power so there's no point in undervolting them and cause problems like crashing or sensor reporting false data.

7. Hardly any. With a dedicated card, the integrated GPU only does very light jobs like powering the desktop screen or decoding youtube videos, so there's little power budget spent on it. In games when you want more CPU performance, the integrated GPU isnt used at all so power draw is nearly nothing. Just leave it as is.

8. Package power limit = Limit of CPU (including integrated GPU) power draw. If your CPU is throttled by power, raising this will allow it to run at higher frequencies for longer periods of time. There are many more causes of CPU not going full bore though.

9. idk

10. PP0 refers to the power limit of the CPU cores, and only the CPU cores. It does not include other things in the CPU such as cache, memory controller, integrated graphics and so on. PP1 btw is the power limit of the iGPU.

11. How it spreads power to the CPU and iGPU. Not useful at all when you have a dedicated card.

12. low power CPUs can have multiple TDP settings, say the 8250u has both 10w and 25w TDP settings and 8750h has 35w and 45w settings. Either having it at 0 means it's at 45w (default TDP), or your laptop doesnt fully work with Throttlestop.

13. BCLK is the base clock. BCLK multiplied by the clock multiplier gives you the final clock speed in MHz. Laptops often do not let you tune it (that is, increasing in Throttlestop does nothing).

C3 is a part of c-states, your CPU activates different stages of C-states to lower the clock speed and voltage at idle to save power.

DTS is just degrees from thermal limit. In other words, thermal throttling kicks in when DTS reaches 0. If your CPU's thermal limit is 95C, then 25 DTS means 95-25=70 degrees celcius.

There is a lot of stuffs that i don't really understand about throttlestop 

Here's what i want to know.

Keep in mind that im on a laptop (FX504) please explain both for desktop and laptop

2. I heard that setting speedshift to 0 ensures max performance, is it true? and the lower the number, the higher the performance becasue of max power delivery to the core

3. If no. 2 is true, when i change the speedshift max and min to the lowest number which is 1 in the Turbo Power Limits tab in ThrottleStop, why is my core limited to the lowest clock speed (800 MHz)

7. I have a dedicated gpu (gtx 1050 Ti), will undervolting the intel gpu do anything to increase performance of the core? (because less power delivered to the gpu, does it mean more power will be used for the core?)

8. What is package power limit, and can i change that in a laptop since changing the package power short and package power long doesn't seem to change my tdp.

10. What is PP0, PP0 Current Limit, and PP0 current limit, does changing it make an impact? changing the power limit doesn't seem to change my tdp

12. What is the tdp level control (TPL tab), i change mine to 0, heard that it will give max performance but my tdp doesn't change at all.

Note : Help me out, my laptop is power limit throttling. It has an i7 8750h but when all cores are running, it only reaches 2.6 Ghz. The temperatures are low, it's on the low 60s, but it's speed is limited by power limit throttling (PL2), i tried changing the power limit in the TPL tab but it doesn't seem to do anyhting. Please help

Check out my post about that problem here : 

qqqq.PNG.8b848ed67a68bfa7be56946ede224cb8.PNG123214.PNG.5f3ec067ea97585803d0bd591f3a53a9.PNG123.PNG.abcd5dc5f758e4d6c44c13c98f2c1ec7.PNG

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Pio Soesetio said:

1. Speedstep and speedshift both allow the clock speed and voltage of the CPU to change according to load, but through different means. Speedstep is carried out by the OS, Speedshift is carried out by the CPU itself.

2. Speedshift to 0 disables it and locks the core clock to its base clock. Turbo clock still only kicks in when appropriate but not all the time, so while the claim is true in theory (eliminates time for OS to ramp up clock speed), you can't tell difference in reality

3. Try larger numbers

4. BD Prochot stops the CPU from underclocking when it gets near the thermal shutdown temperature, and will shut down right away without notice when it reaches it's thermal shutdown point.

5. CPU cache ratio decreases cache latency, a bit like memory overclocking. Effect is tiny, so leave it as is.

6. Analog I/O are things like onboard sensors (Vccio refers to the voltage of this in desktops). System Agent are stuff like the memory controller and PCIe bus controller (as Vccsa in desktops). Both consume little power so there's no point in undervolting them and cause problems like crashing or sensor reporting false data.

7. Hardly any. With a dedicated card, the integrated GPU only does very light jobs like powering the desktop screen or decoding youtube videos, so there's little power budget spent on it. In games when you want more CPU performance, the integrated GPU isnt used at all so power draw is nearly nothing. Just leave it as is.

8. Package power limit = Limit of CPU (including integrated GPU) power draw. If your CPU is throttled by power, raising this will allow it to run at higher frequencies for longer periods of time. There are many more causes of CPU not going full bore though.

9. idk

10. PP0 refers to the power limit of the CPU cores, and only the CPU cores. It does not include other things in the CPU such as cache, memory controller, integrated graphics and so on. PP1 btw is the power limit of the iGPU.

11. How it spreads power to the CPU and iGPU. Not useful at all when you have a dedicated card.

12. low power CPUs can have multiple TDP settings, say the 8250u has both 10w and 25w TDP settings and 8750h has 35w and 45w settings. Either having it at 0 means it's at 45w (default TDP), or your laptop doesnt fully work with Throttlestop.

13. BCLK is the base clock. BCLK multiplied by the clock multiplier gives you the final clock speed in MHz. Laptops often do not let you tune it (that is, increasing in Throttlestop does nothing).

C3 is a part of c-states, your CPU activates different stages of C-states to lower the clock speed and voltage at idle to save power.

DTS is just degrees from thermal limit. In other words, thermal throttling kicks in when DTS reaches 0. If your CPU's thermal limit is 95C, then 25 DTS means 95-25=70 degrees celcius.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

will spreading more power to the cpu and less to the igpu make the cpu faster? I have a dedicated card so the igpu won't really matter.

Just now, Pio Soesetio said:

will spreading more power to the cpu and less to the igpu make the cpu faster? I have a dedicated card so the igpu won't really matter.

no, because your CPU is already getting 95% of power when you put load to it at this point. You cannot turn off the iGPU completely because your dedicated GPU relies on it to show image on your monitor.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

20 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

no, because your CPU is already getting 95% of power when you put load to it at this point. You cannot turn off the iGPU completely because your dedicated GPU relies on it to show image on your monitor.

Oh ok, Thx a lot ! :D