Thoughts on getting docking station for my laptop?

I was thinking of using my laptop as a desktop by getting a docking station and plugging my monitor and keyboard/mouse into the laptop. Is this bad at all for the laptop? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-gu501gm-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hybrid-drive-128gb-ssd-brushed-black/6207900.p?skuId=6207900 this is my laptop.

docking station refers to those used by Thinkpad series as a big stand that the laptop sits on top of. Are you refering to USB hubs?

anyway, why dont you just plug them into the USB ports on the laptop?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I'm pretty sure the "docking station" your referring to isnt what you think it is. Do you have a image of what it looks like? Also a docking station would do you no more good then plugging it into the laptop itself.

Oh? Well hello there! Notice me please!

Specs!

CPU: A AMD A10 APU

HDD: like, 1 terabyte

RAM: 2x4 gig sticks of kingston DDR3

GPU: heheh- the amd A10 APU with radeon graphics oh wow

PSU: What ever is inside this thing

MOBO: same thing as the psu

Hah. this is my laptop. spooked.

11 minutes ago, Mike2121 said:

I was thinking of using my laptop as a desktop by getting a docking station and plugging my monitor and keyboard/mouse into the laptop. Is this bad at all for the laptop? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-gu501gm-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hybrid-drive-128gb-ssd-brushed-black/6207900.p?skuId=6207900 this is my laptop.

Why not just plug the laptop on the monitor and plug the mouse and keyboard on the laptop ?

no need to buy docking station

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

18 minutes ago, Mike2121 said:

Unless you need a lot more ports, you probably don't need an ultra dock type solution thing

But why spend that much on that laptop?

Do you 100% need a mobile 1060?

Because I'm pretty sure it's under $1000 for an i7 + GTX 1050/ti

Like these kinds of docks  are only really useful on machines with very limited I/O like a macbook, tablet, or a macbook.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Unless you need a lot more ports, you probably don't need an ultra dock type solution thing

But why spend that much on that laptop?

Do you 100% need a mobile 1060?

Because I'm pretty sure it's under $1000 for an i7 + GTX 1050/ti

Like these kinds of docks  are only really useful on machines with very limited I/O like a macbook, tablet, or a macbook.

My parents bought me a laptop for college so since Im a engineering student I wanted a powerful pc thats also preety thin. They also only wanted to buy from bestbuy and had a budget of 1500 dollars so thats what I chose.

2 minutes ago, Mike2121 said:

My parents bought me a laptop for college so since Im a engineering student I wanted a powerful pc thats also preety thin. They also only wanted to buy from bestbuy and had a budget of 1500 dollars so thats what I chose.

nvm about the prices exactly, didn't notice it was a 6 core laptop.

But no you probably don't need a dock like the plugable one unless you've got to power a lot of monitors.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

But no you probably don't need a dock like the plugable one unless you've got to power a lot of monitors.

I only have to power one. I was planning on selling my desktop since its shitty compared to my laptop and just pluggin everything into my laptop. The only thing Im concerned about is degrading the battery.

Leaving it plugged in all the time

13 minutes ago, Mike2121 said:

Leaving it plugged in all the time

Probably don't want to leave the battery attached then, should look into that.

Spoiler

I have a docking station for my work laptop. It is much more convenient to plop it down onto the dock and have everything plugged in already. What I do requires me to have an ultra portable laptop but the amount of paperwork I have to do really helps to have a more traditional computer peripheral setup.

Laptop docks still have their place...especially with modern laptops doing away with many if not most of their ports.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

.especially with modern laptops doing away with many if not most of their ports.

The bad ones anyways

Spoiler