Getting around Vancouver

LienusLateTips
5 hours ago, danieltien said:

Is gasoline at Costco Canada any cheaper? It tends to be cheaper than most chains here in the States, plus you get 3-4% back if you use a Costco branded credit card.

It varies per day and per store, but you can count on at least 4c/L cheaper at Costco - it can vary upwards of 6 to 10c/L cheaper at times.

You get 2% Cashback on Gas with the Costco Mastercard (1% Cashback for all other purchases).

Source: I fill up exclusively at Costco.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Is biking a decently supported mode of transportation in Vancouver? I don't know what I'm going to do in Vancouver yet but I'm thinking about buying a cheap bike when I arrive for local transportation. Would that be safe to do up there?

19 hours ago, danieltien said:

Is gasoline at Costco Canada any cheaper? It tends to be cheaper than most chains here in the States, plus you get 3-4% back if you use a Costco branded credit card.

It's due to Metro Vancouver gas tax. You'll need to drive ~100km+ to Abby to avoid it. I believe it's 50 cents for every litre currently, set to increase every year for the next four years. Sure, it's expensive, but it funds new subway expansions.

15 hours ago, Peskanova said:

That is not expensive gas , look the other way usa have cheap gas cause of taxes, you canadians have same level as all here in europe.

Compared to the US and the rest of Canada.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 hours ago, Lambda Complex said:

Is biking a decently supported mode of transportation in Vancouver? I don't know what I'm going to do in Vancouver yet but I'm thinking about buying a cheap bike when I arrive for local transportation. Would that be safe to do up there?

Yes! The city of Vancouver has been trying to build bike lanes everywhere, and they've been popping up everywhere, especially in newer areas. However, cycling in Richmond, the municipality where LTX is being held, is still pretty mediocre. There's only a few roads with bike lanes. 

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

13 hours ago, JDE said:

It's due to Metro Vancouver gas tax. You'll need to drive ~100km+ to Abby to avoid it. I believe it's 50 cents for every litre currently, set to increase every year for the next four years. Sure, it's expensive, but it funds new subway expansions.

Compared to the US and the rest of Canada.

Excise Tax in Vancouver is $0.4328/L, + 5% GST on top of the total fuel bill - if gas is around $1.50/L, then the GST would work out to around $0.075/L, which would make the total of $0.50/L accurate.

Very few cities in Canada charge an excise tax, and Vancouver is the expensive of them - by over triple the next nearest one.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 6/6/2018 at 3:47 PM, dalekphalm said:

Mostly because looking it up online are averages generally. Second, because I don't care? :P

Third, the person I quoted made a very confusing post, and didn't state where they were from. Either they're in the US, and they are paying very low USD/Gallon rates, or they're from Europe somewhere, and are mixing units of measurement that don't belong somewhere.

And besides, Europe is as diverse as North America. Just because you pay $1.56EUR/L in one city in Germany, does not make that price typical or representative of anywhere except the city you live in. I'm not about to randomly google 40 different European cities to see if it averages out xD 

No need to be snarky or so defensive.  Don't make looking up facts to be some kind of burden, it's not and you didn't even bother to look up one place in Europe so why bring up 40?  An opinion based on speculation is not better than one based on facts.  

How difficult is it to type "average price of fuel in Europe" into google?

https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html#.WyS5HBIzZ0s

As that website says the average price for the entirety of Europe is €1.31 it took me less than 10 seconds which is a lot less time than either of us spent defending ourselves for being lazy or for calling someone lazy. 

I don't think the price of fuel should keep anyone from renting a car.  I don't have much time and I have a small list of things I want to do and getting the rental car will help me do those things within the short 20 hours I'll have in Canada.    

With that said I think taking public transportation would give someone a better idea of what Vancouver is about and would be a much better experience and it would be healthier.  I might just use my rental car to get to and from the airport.

5 hours ago, BobbyPdue said:

No need to be snarky or so defensive.  Don't make looking up facts to be some kind of burden, it's not and you didn't even bother to look up one place in Europe so why bring up 40?  An opinion based on speculation is not better than one based on facts.  

How difficult is it to type "average price of fuel in Europe" into google?

https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html#.WyS5HBIzZ0s

As that website says the average price for the entirety of Europe is €1.31 it took me less than 10 seconds which is a lot less time than either of us spent defending ourselves for being lazy or for calling someone lazy. 

Let's take the $1.31 EUR/L (I'm assuming this is per Litre, yes?). That's $2.01 CAD/L.

Using that same source, the average price in Germany is $1.49 EUR/L. That's $2.29 CAD/L.

Damn, that's pretty expensive. Granted, cheaper than I had assumed.

I'll give you that I assumed the price (or rather, I presented my assumption as a question). Next time, I'd suggest simply correcting me, rather than making a big deal about it. I'd suggest you're being significantly more snarky about it than I am. Instead of this being two posts, one with my incorrect assumption, and a second with you simply saying "Ahh actually this is what the correct answer is" - instead of the 4? it is now?

Regardless, we're off topic, so let's drop this and get back to the proper discussion.

Renting a car is NOT a bad idea. It just DEPENDS on where you are staying and what you plan to do on the trip. There are some tourist places that are not transit friendly such as Capilano suspension bridge. Heck, even LMG HQ is not transit friendly as it is pretty far out near Langley. (That's one of the reason they chose the oval, even though renting the oval is not cheap.)

I mean, if your hotel is near the skytrain and you only plan to do LTX and hang out in the downtown area, then sure, you don't need to rent a car. There's no one size fits all answer.

16 minutes ago, pk-man said:

Renting a car is NOT a bad idea. It just DEPENDS on where you are staying and what you plan to do on the trip. There are some tourist places that are not transit friendly such as Capilano suspension bridge. Heck, even LMG HQ is not transit friendly as it is pretty far out near Langley. (That's one of the reason they chose the oval, even though renting the oval is not cheap.)

I mean, if your hotel is near the skytrain and you only plan to do LTX and hang out in the downtown area, then sure, you don't need to rent a car. There's no one size fits all answer.

Capilano? Not tourist friendly. I say 247 bus route. Takes an hour from LTX area.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

48 minutes ago, pk-man said:

You also gonna factor in parking. We're pretty much in summer vacation mode and we have a huge number of tourists coming in from other provinces and from the states. Good luck finding a parking spot at the Suspension bridge. For certain areas like Deep Cove, you're gonna be circling around for about half an hour or more just to find a spot. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

31 minutes ago, JDE said:

Capilano? Not tourist friendly. I say 247 bus route. Takes an hour from LTX area.

247 runs only during rush hours and in mono direction only so it is not reliable at all.  The most direct way is take Canada Line to Waterfront, then seabus to Lonsdale Quay, and 236 bus. Even then, it's a trip that requires 2 transfers so it'll take more than a hour for sure.

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You also gonna factor in parking. We're pretty much in summer vacation mode and we have a huge number of tourists coming in from other provinces and from the states. Good luck finding a parking spot at the Suspension bridge. For certain areas like Deep Cove, you're gonna be circling around for about half an hour or more just to find a spot. 

that is true, but IMO, for any North Shore locations besides Lonsdale Quay, it's better to drive because transit is not convenient or reliable enough with the exception of seabus.

4 hours ago, pk-man said:

247 runs only during rush hours and in mono direction only so it is not reliable at all.  The most direct way is take Canada Line to Waterfront, then seabus to Lonsdale Quay, and 236 bus. Even then, it's a trip that requires 2 transfers so it'll take more than a hour for sure.

that is true, but IMO, for any North Shore locations besides Lonsdale Quay, it's better to drive because transit is not convenient or reliable enough with the exception of seabus.

From Brighouse Station, closest major station to LTX.

5b2880c8546a0_Screenshot(12).png.4b3f89b05bb910eeb3ac9afaab36cebd.png

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

On 2018-06-04 at 7:21 PM, SC2Mitch said:

You guys don't have Uber up there? wtf

nope its banned

The geek himself.

if I use google maps public transit mode will it know how to do the public transit in Vancouver or will I need to look at the signs at all the stations and figure it out?

cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

10 hours ago, cTurtle98 said:

if I use google maps public transit mode will it know how to do the public transit in Vancouver or will I need to look at the signs at all the stations and figure it out?

Vancouver is a pretty big city. It should work much like Google Maps Transit in any other big city, telling you when buses depart, what route number, when your stop is and where, etc.

18 hours ago, cTurtle98 said:

TransLink is lazy and puts station stops at random locations.

For example:

http://infomaps.translink.ca/System_Maps/exchange_maps/ubcloop.pdf

But for the routes yes.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop