i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

5 hours ago, Edgehill said:

I have the 8300H/1050 Ti version, but both the i5 & i7 have the same power throttle issue.

If you're considering the 8750H something else to think about would be the cooling.

I found that initially with the 8300H it would get hot and thermal throttle.

I was able to fix this by undervolting, but the i7 will run hotter so I can't say for definite this won't be a problem.

Hopefully someone with the i7 version might be able to clarify what thermals are like?

I certainly would not recommend it, but I also wouldn't say to avoid it, you just need to be aware of the issues and balance that with how you intend to use it and what price you can get.

I got a really good deal on my with cash back and trade ins, so I'm going to hang onto mine and work around the issue rather than returning it.

I also got a very good deal on mine so I chose the asusFX instead of an acer nitro 5 (i5 8th, gtx1050 4 gb). But I'm a little concerned now that I've read about these throttling issues; is this something that affects only heavy processor-depending tasks, like video editing? I bough mine for gaming, and have not tested any of these benchmarks yet (got the i7 8th; gtx1050 4gb version) but at least the in-game measurements of gpu temperature never goes over 60°C and seems to be stable around 54°C, so maybe for gaming this a good laptop. Or am I wrong and the throttle will affect gaming performance?

@Pio Soesetio

Hi Pio,

I've seen you mention undervolting your gpu a few times - are you talking about the Nvidia GPU or the iGPU?

3 hours ago, ale fuentes said:

Or am I wrong and the throttle will affect gaming performance?

It may or it may not, the throttling is dependant on the application so some games may be affected others will not.

But I've seen the throttling reduce CPU performance from anywhere around 10% to 35%, so if a game is affected it could be noticeable. 

As I mentioned a while back if you disable the UHD630 before shut down and enable it after boot it seems to stop the throttling occuring in most cases.

So there is a work around but doing it manually is a bit annyoing.

(NOTE: This workaround does not work for Asus real bench)

Okay, after going through all these posts, I am still confused on whether buying this would be worth the money. Planning to get i7-8750H and GTX 1060. Rendering and gaming are main purpose. Or would you guys recommend any other laptop?

On 9/20/2018 at 6:48 PM, Edgehill said:

I have the 8300H/1050 Ti version, but both the i5 & i7 have the same power throttle issue.

If you're considering the 8750H something else to think about would be the cooling.

I found that initially with the 8300H it would get hot and thermal throttle.

I was able to fix this by undervolting, but the i7 will run hotter so I can't say for definite this won't be a problem.

Hopefully someone with the i7 version might be able to clarify what thermals are like?

I certainly would not recommend it, but I also wouldn't say to avoid it, you just need to be aware of the issues and balance that with how you intend to use it and what price you can get.

I got a really good deal on my with cash back and trade ins, so I'm going to hang onto mine and work around the issue rather than returning it.

I've changed my mind and will probably go for the i5 8300H over the i7 8750H. The 8750H is probably overkill for gaming on a laptop and will save a few dollars. 

The Asus FX504 is really the only machine within my budget that has the GTX 1050. Another possibility is the Dell G3 15 which has the 1050Ti but is $200-300 over my budget. Perhaps if it comes up on sale. Also possibly an older 7700HQ model but there are not too many left around and from what I've seen the i5 8300H beats out the i7 7700HQ.

Acer Nitro 5 only seems to come with the 8750H where I am and is almost $400 more than the FX504 with 8300H.

2 hours ago, Fade_87 said:

I've changed my mind and will probably go for the i5 8300H over the i7 8750H. The 8750H is probably overkill for gaming on a laptop and will save a few dollars. 

The Asus FX504 is really the only machine within my budget that has the GTX 1050. Another possibility is the Dell G3 15 which has the 1050Ti but is $200-300 over my budget. Perhaps if it comes up on sale. Also possibly an older 7700HQ model but there are not too many left around and from what I've seen the i5 8300H beats out the i7 7700HQ.

Acer Nitro 5 only seems to come with the 8750H where I am and is almost $400 more than the FX504 with 8300H.

I agree, the 8750H seems too much if you are thinking on gaming, and the heat it produces only stress the cooling system. The 8300H as far as I've read, beats the i7 7700HQ, so if you have the chance go for that one. In my case the fx504 (i7 8750H) was on discount and I ended paying the same I would've paid for the acer nitro 5 (i5 8300H), both with the gtx1050, so I chose the asus back then (not knowing about the thermals issues this laptop has). In your case I would keep looking for a laptop with the i5 8300H and the gtx1050. I hope you can find the right one!

I bought a HP Pavilion Gaming 15 with the 8750H, 16GB DDR4-2666, 256GB NVMe SSD, 1TB 7.2k RPM HDD and 1050Ti 4GB a couple of weeks back. Today I had the time to take a look if my CPU throttled as well.

At first I let it run with the standard HP Profile in Windows and just running on battery. Cinebench R15 gave me between 770 and 780 points with the Intel XTU and Kaspersky Internet Security in the background. The Intel Extreme Tuner Utility showed me afterwards that the CPU did massively current throttle, about 60-70% of the time in idle and almost 100% of the time during the Cinebench run down to sometise just 1.93 GHz and on average 2.28 GHz although during the Cinebench run the CPU never got hotter than 54°C.

Afterwards I created a high performance profile in Windows and plugged the machine into the wall. Now the Fans started ramping up faster and higher, the Temperature went up to 90°C and the final result was 1144 points in Cinebench. Not as good as the CPU can be but still a massive improvement. It now doesn't current throttle anymore but it now power throttles after about 50% of the Cinebench run down to 3.39 GHz from 3.86 GHz and just a few seconds before it finishes it throttles even further down to 3.06 GHz.

The standard settings in the Intel XTU tool are:

Core Voltage Offset: 0.000V

Core Voltage: Default

Processor Core IccMax: 128.000A

Turbo Boost Power Max: 45.000W

Turbo Boost Short Power Max: 90.000W

Turbo Boost Power Time Window: 28.000 Seconds

Should I just undervolt the CPU and maybe change the Fan-Curve a little to try and keep it at 3.86 GHz constantly or do I have to change some of the other settings as well?

Comparing my initial results to some of the others you have posted, I guess my notebook seems to be one of the better ones out of the box that come with the 8750H. I will test it with the high performance profile on battery power over the weekend. That is how I will normally use it for photo and video editing.

3 hours ago, minakima said:

Should I just undervolt the CPU and maybe change the Fan-Curve a little to try and keep it at 3.86 GHz constantly or do I have to change some of the other settings as well?

It doesn't sound like your 8750H is thermal throttling so fan settings won't do a lot.

I think you're hitting the higher clocks during the initial short power boost after this you drop down to the 45W TDP limit.

Undervolting will reduce the overall wattage need to hit clock speeds and will result in you being able to hit a higher clock at 45W.

However I don't think this will be enough to mantain 3.9ghz.

The only way to maintain 3.9ghz would be increasing the "Turbo boost power max". I would strongly recommend not doing this as you will be running outside of intel's specification for a minimal performance improvement.

Also doing this may result in running into thermal throttling.

3 hours ago, minakima said:

Afterwards I created a high performance profile in Windows and plugged the machine into the wall. Now the Fans started ramping up faster and higher, the Temperature went up to 90°C and the final result was 1144 points in Cinebench. 

what do you mean by "high performance profile in windows"?? (sorry if noob question)

also, why didn't you undervolt your CPU?

1 hour ago, ale fuentes said:

what do you mean by "high performance profile in windows"?? (sorry if noob question)

also, why didn't you undervolt your CPU?

Windows has different power settings. Normally they are used for Notebooks to select if you want maximum performance, save power or have a balanced profile. If you create a new profile, you can create it as one of those three. For a maximum performance profile it is best to just use the high performance plan because most power saving options have already been disabled.

One of the additional settings you can adjust for the power plans is the minimum and maximum processor state. By setting this to 100% for both of them the CPU tries to keep as high a possible frequency within the set thermal and power limit.

You can access these settings by going to Settings - System - Power & sleep - Additional Power Settings. Here you can either select a power plan, change it's settings or create a new one.

I haven't done any undervolting up to now because I first wanted to know the out of box performance.

Posting this in case it's helpful for any FX504 owners.

As Asus aren't going to fix this I've set up a couple of batch files to make implementing the workaround I have previously mentioned quicker and easier.

I've attached a file to this post;

1. Download and extract the file
  2. Copy files from the Desktop folder to the desktop
  3. Move Devcon folder into C:/Program Files

The "Enable 630" desktop shortcut enables the UHD 630

The "Disable 630 & Shutdown" disables the UHD 630 waits a second then shutdowns the laptop.

So rather than shutting down the usual way use "Disable 630 & Shutdown" and when you next boot up click "Enable 630".

This will stop the throttling in the majority of programs, the only exception I have found so far is ASUS real bench.

I did want to automate this with startup and shutdown but I couldn't manage this because of UAC prompts.

I have the 8300H/1050 ti model the files might need small modifications for other models, but I'm happy to help with this if needed.

FX504_Fix.zip

1 minute ago, Edgehill said:

As Asus aren't going to fix this I've set up a couple of batch files to make implementing the workaround I have previously mentioned quicker and easier.

The "Disable 630 & Shutdown" disables the UHD 630 waits a second then shutdowns the laptop.

So rather than shutting down the usual way use "Disable 630 & Shutdown" and when you next boot up click "Enable 630".

This will stop the throttling in the majority of programs, the only exception I have found so far is ASUS real bench.

I did want to automate this with startup and shutdown but I couldn't manage this because of UAC prompts.

I have the 8300H/1050 ti model the files might need small modifications for other models, but I'm happy to help with this if needed.

FX504_Fix.zip

ill try this out.

I have exactly that problem metion here about the throttle at low degrees i have the fx504 i7 8750h with gtx 1060 and cinebench give very low scores because my cpu throttle in no more than 60 degrees and keep the core clock at 2,2 only in normal using can rich the 4 ghz why? how can i fix that guys i have the latest bios update

On 9/20/2018 at 10:45 PM, seekr99 said:

@Pio Soesetio

Hi Pio,

I've seen you mention undervolting your gpu a few times - are you talking about the Nvidia GPU or the iGPU?

Nvidia GPU

28 minutes ago, manumr2408 said:

I have exactly that problem metion here about the throttle at low degrees i have the fx504 i7 8750h with gtx 1060 and cinebench give very low scores because my cpu throttle in no more than 60 degrees and keep the core clock at 2,2 only in normal using can rich the 4 ghz why? how can i fix that guys i have the latest bios update

WIth what laptop? FX504? do u have any undervolting programs like throttlestop or xtu?

Try setting the battery mode to max performance. 

You might've disabled turbo in those programs listed above.

On ‎22‎-‎09‎-‎2018 at 12:40 PM, Edgehill said:

FX504_Fix.zip

Hi! i have the FX504GM model, i already used your files, but i think its not working on my laptop, because i dont see any changes in the clocks, its still throttling. Any chance that you could help me? Im mostly having this issue with Frostbite games,where the cpu clock hits the 2.4 GHz mark from 3.9 GHz, in any other game keeps around 3.5-3.8. Im using Throttlestop with 139.6 offset voltage on CPU core and cache

10 minutes ago, xtrem2k said:

Hi! i have the FX504GM model, i already used your files, but i think its not working on my laptop, because i dont see any changes in the clocks, its still throttling. Any chance that you could help me? Im mostly having this issue with Frostbite games,where the cpu clock hits the 2.4 GHz mark from 3.9 GHz, in any other game keeps around 3.5-3.8. Im using Throttlestop with 139.6 offset voltage on CPU core and cache

When you use the files are they successfully enabling/disabling the UHD 630?

The screen will go black briefly if they are.

Just got this laptop FX504GE a few days back for the purpose of graphics editing. After reading through the posts in this thread, i've run the xtu benchmarking and cinebench.

The scores are pretty low, I guess. Also I couldn't verify the power limiting, as the package TDP went high up to 60+W while running the tests.

XTU1.thumb.jpg.5a62464a0fdb7db7842785c85b05ea3c.jpgXTU2.thumb.jpg.f5db163f7a55fa71467d1bc608e03a65.jpg

Cinebench1.jpg

8 hours ago, Edgehill said:

When you use the files are they successfully enabling/disabling the UHD 630?

The screen will go black briefly if they are.

I think its not disabling the UHD 630, the screen doesnt go black and the laptop shuts down.

4 hours ago, Gary.Kirsten said:

The scores are pretty low, I guess. Also I couldn't verify the power limiting, as the package TDP went high up to 60+W while running the tests.

Your cinebench score is around 200-250 points below what I would expect if you had no throttling.

The inbuilt benchmarks in XTU do not cause the throttling.

If you have cinebench running at the same time as XTU is open do you see any throttling?

1 hour ago, xtrem2k said:

I think its not disabling the UHD 630, the screen doesnt go black and the laptop shuts down.

Do you get a "Are you sure you want to do this" type prompt when you use either the enable or disable shortcut?

It's probably worth manually verifying the workaround works for you to start with.

Please can you try the following;

Open device manager

Expand display adapters, right click and disable the UHD 630.

Restart

Open device manager & enable the UHD.

After this do a short test in the game/application you were having issues with before.

Please let me know how the test goes.

9 hours ago, Gary.Kirsten said:

Just got this laptop FX504GE a few days back for the purpose of graphics editing. After reading through the posts in this thread, i've run the xtu benchmarking and cinebench.

Try closing every other app, open only cinebench and task manager. Run it for 2 times straight, and see if the scores are still low. Cause for some reason apps like hwmonitor limits the cpu performance (for some weird reason).

1 hour ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Cause for some reason apps like hwmonitor limits the cpu performance (for some weird reason).

I think Cinebench is an program that is affected.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:56 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

If anyone is looking to buy FX504.

Don't.

FX505 is out, buy that instead.

I can't find it anywhere, seems like they haven't launched it yet.