i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

On 6/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, hargoa said:

I think I find the solution. Before, I was playing SW battlefront 2 and after a few minuts the game was going bad and I have the power limitation of 25w, I tested Cemu with Zelda and it was unplayble.

But today i recived a module of 8gb of ram and I installed in dual channel. And magically I was able to play 1 hour to SWB2 in ultra and the Cemu goes well, no power restriction, near 50w.

Needs more time testing games, but I think it works. (I've done undervolting to the cpu and gpu, but before puting the ram I've done too).

I don't know why going to dual channel apparently solved the problems, but I think it works. I have the 8300h with 1060 model.

The ram in your dual channel? Spec and brand?

On 6/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, hargoa said:

Yes, I see in Throttlestop. Before with the games after a few minutes it goes down to 25w. Now with dual channel it can manage more than 40w (probably more than 45w(have to check it) but less than 50w) and doesn't go down to 25w.

I know that apparently it has no relation the power with the ram, but now the laptop works perfect and with very good performance. But in this post I read another man that tell the same. I think it is very odd and I am very dissappointed with Asus, but I think this is the problem. Next weekend if you want I can post a video if you don't trust me.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:00 PM, davartens said:

Alright then. I will probably order a new 16GB stick to put it in Dual Channel. If i see any difference in the power limit, i will let you know in this thread. Thank you for the info.

Finally, i tested with 2x16GB Crucial DDR4 2666Mhz modules in Dual-Channel, and nothing changed. The CPU Power is still capped at 25W when gaming. I tried undervolting CPU (-150mV) and GPU, and the cap is still there. 

On 7/2/2019 at 2:37 AM, davartens said:

Finally, i tested with 2x16GB Crucial DDR4 2666Mhz modules in Dual-Channel, and nothing changed. The CPU Power is still capped at 25W when gaming. I tried undervolting CPU (-150mV) and GPU, and the cap is still there. 

the 25W cap while gaming is there for a reason, it can exceed that limit if the GPU is not stressed though. there's no point running 50W on CPU when playing games, especially if you managed to undervolt it by -150mV, it should reach above 3.0 GHz with only 25W in games easily.

But, if you really want to exceed that 25W limit, downgrade the BIOS version to 303 & the 25W limit is gone, but the stuttering is back cause they used too much power fighting with each other from the 120W power brick. of course you can set the limit manually, or lowering all graphic options in your games to give power headroom, but the difference is not worth it :D

here is the BIOS :

FX504GE-AS.303

hello everyone there in the discussion. I own FX504 GE and my cpu drops to around 16 W when gaming. Along with this, CPU downclocks to base speed of 2.30GHz and stays there unless i close the game. Anyone experiencing this too?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have FX504 i5 1060 model and am experiencing hard freezes when playing games. I didn't do much to try to solve the problem because lack of time, do you guys can tell me what can I try to do to fix it? 

Thanks in advance

Best regards

• 3 weeks later...
can someone share bios 303 to fx504gm (8750h gtx 1060) ?

Never buy a gaming laptop

I say this typing on an alienware 17 with the same cpu.

Its on my laps burning through my jeans.

Asus FX 504 Update:

I have completely given up, i have tried absolutely everything on the internet. The freezing issue in games still exist and i cannot understand why.

bios limits tdp at low component temperatures. If there was a bios that does not do this, you can use a 180w power supply and modify the cooling

On 7/26/2019 at 2:11 PM, Readere said:

Hi, I have FX504 i5 1060 model and am experiencing hard freezes when playing games. I didn't do much to try to solve the problem because lack of time, do you guys can tell me what can I try to do to fix it? 

Thanks in advance

Best regards

On 8/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, Combuh said:

Asus FX 504 Update:

I have completely given up, i have tried absolutely everything on the internet. The freezing issue in games still exist and i cannot understand why.

Here the same problem. FX504GM i5 8300H GTX1060.

Any solution?

• 2 weeks later...

Same issues on my GL502VM ever since last firmware update, the temperature is well in 60-70 but as soon as I got render on C4D the frequency drops from 3.38to 2.67 throughout the render. It happens only when I render otherwise it's okay being stable at 3.6ghz. I haven't tinkered with setting in XTU but tried keeping tems low by under-volting CPU still the same issue ... Can there be a possible solution for this....?

what is temp phc? in my fx504gm hwinfo shows me playing 75 degrees. Is this a safe value?

first of all , im not speak english native so im sorry for any misspell, ok first of all , after test after test ,  i have came a cross whit a workaround , the problem is the power , asus did not limit the 25w TDP on cpu , if you change the tdp on trottlestop you can see that cpu can achive 45w without a problem , BUT the system can manage the power of the VGA and the CPU so when your gaming and have the cpu and the gpu are at max load , the power is not enought , the CPU is capped at 25w, and this make games fps drop like crazy and it cant be played well ,this cant be change  so we have to make a workaround , i attach my settings of afterburner and throttlestop , with this configs i not see any fps drop on demanding games.

i have a fx504gm i5 8300h 8gb ram 1060gtx

ts1.jpg

ts2.jpg

msi.jpg

tl3.jpg

On 8/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, droppoll said:

what is temp phc? in my fx504gm hwinfo shows me playing 75 degrees. Is this a safe value?

yes, everything below 85°C is safe

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, ZitoManBoy said:

first of all , im not speak english native so im sorry for any misspell, ok first of all , after test after test ,  i have came a cross whit a workaround , the problem is the power , asus did not limit the 25w TDP on cpu , if you change the tdp on trottlestop you can see that cpu can achive 45w without a problem , BUT the system can manage the power of the VGA and the CPU so when your gaming and have the cpu and the gpu are at max load , the power is not enought , the CPU is capped at 25w, and this make games fps drop like crazy and it cant be played well ,this cant be change  so we have to make a workaround , i attach my settings of afterburner and throttlestop , with this configs i not see any fps drop on demanding games.

i have a fx504gm i5 8300h 8gb ram 1060gtx

ts1.jpg

ts2.jpg

msi.jpg

tl3.jpg

Dude can you send me your discord ID or anywhere else to chat with you. I need help in setting up these softwares

pude solucionar el problema de la asus tuf fx504 gm gtx1060 de 6 con i5 de octava generacion ablenme y les paso la sulucion a la caidas de fps y sutering

this settings are for FX504GM I5 8300h 8gb ram and 1060GTX 6gb

problem : load cpu cap at 25w when use at the same time with VGA

ok final fix on 3 steps:

fix 1 CPU: you have to undervolt and lower the clocks until you reach 3.0ghz in this configuration even at full load the cpu doesnt reach more than 25w

fix2 VGA : you have to config the voltage curve to lock frecuency (lock the frecuency at 1670 on 831mv) , with this method you prevent to swing between frecuency (lower fps )

fix3 Display : by default the only resolution that has this laptop is 1920x1080 120hz, if you play any game that doesnt play at locked 120fps you are going to experience certain artifacts and nothing smooth as you expected, so to fix this you have to downlaod a program call  custom resolution utility, whit this create a new reslution with 60hz and save , thats it , use this 3 steps and enjoy this excelent laptop , now im playing with 0 problem and 0 fps drop.

i attach the pictures of the 3 fix

vga voltaje curve , throttlestop and CRU 

i hope you enjoy this magnificent notebook

VoltageFrequency curve editor.jpg 

Custom Resolution Utility 1.4.1 by ToastyX.jpg

trothlestop.jpg

17 hours ago, ZitoManBoy said:

this settings are for FX504GM I5 8300h 8gb ram and 1060GTX 6gb

problem : load cpu cap at 25w when use at the same time with VGA

ok final fix on 3 steps:

fix 1 CPU: you have to undervolt and lower the clocks until you reach 3.0ghz in this configuration even at full load the cpu doesnt reach more than 25w

fix2 VGA : you have to config the voltage curve to lock frecuency (lock the frecuency at 1670 on 831mv) , with this method you prevent to swing between frecuency (lower fps )

fix3 Display : by default the only resolution that has this laptop is 1920x1080 120hz, if you play any game that doesnt play at locked 120fps you are going to experience certain artifacts and nothing smooth as you expected, so to fix this you have to downlaod a program call  custom resolution utility, whit this create a new reslution with 60hz and save , thats it , use this 3 steps and enjoy this excelent laptop , now im playing with 0 problem and 0 fps drop.

i attach the pictures of the 3 fix

vga voltaje curve , throttlestop and CRU 

i hope you enjoy this magnificent notebook

VoltageFrequency curve editor.jpg 

Custom Resolution Utility 1.4.1 by ToastyX.jpg

trothlestop.jpg

I will try this on the Asus FX 504 GD with the 1050 graphics card and the i5 8300H

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys new to the forum but not this thread its one of the first I read after getting this laptop back in March.

I followed all the throttlestop and MSI afterburner guides on here to a T and eventually the micro stuttering stopped in game for a while but it did come back after a few weeks.

What I done to cure it was enable Nvidia's whisper mode to limit the power of the GPU further then use the Nvidia control panel to manually set the refresh rate on a per game basis - If you dont do this everything will try to run at a 40fps limit which sucks.

Any offline game I just set to 60fps and if I decide I want more I go as high as 120 (this is the limit in whisper mode) Online shooters I set to 120fps and can honestly say I have had no issues with the laptop gaming wise since I started using whisper mode as well as my undervolt on GPU and CPU - I have the CPU at 3.2ghz.

If this has already been tried and tested and I am just lucky then sorry but thought I would share this and hope it helps some of you guys out as it really is a quality laptop once its running correctly and plugged into wall power of course.

Edit - In Nvidia's control panel also under power settings I use the adaptive profile - FX504GM user.

just a quick remainder , when your gaming on the laptop dispplay , you have to change the resolution of the intel control panel , on the other hand , if your gaming with the laptop contected to a monitor/tv via HDMI , the resolution and refresh rates has to be change via nvidia control panel.

solo un recordatorio rápido, cuando su juego en la computadora portátil muestra, debe cambiar la resolución del panel de control de Intel, por otro lado, si su juego con la computadora portátil se conecta a un monitor / televisor a través de HDMI, la resolución y las tasas de actualización tiene que ser cambiado a través del panel de control de nvidia.

como ases eso amigo 

On 10/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, ZitoManBoy said:

just a quick remainder , when your gaming on the laptop dispplay , you have to change the resolution of the intel control panel , on the other hand , if your gaming with the laptop contected to a monitor/tv via HDMI , the resolution and refresh rates has to be change via nvidia control panel.

Can you elaborate? I game on the laptop display all the time and change everything through Nvidia control panel without issue including the refresh rate.

• 3 weeks later...

I have too Asus TUF FX504GD (8750H 6c/12t) and I have before Lenovo Legion Y520 with i5 (4c/4t). All 2 notebooks have Nvidia 1050 4GB. When I run any benchmark in games, Shadow of Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed Odyssey... etc in all games have more FPS and silent the Legion, the Asus is again terrible. I read anywhere the notebooks motherboard of Asus can work only with 104W (that´s for all notebook, CPU, GPU...). So in benchmarks like Passmark you have great points in CPU, in GPU, but when need in real life like in games, terrible.

I hate very very few years Asus, always are saving money where he can (my Asus K550 burned - very small cooler, or another Asus with cheap HDD and burned). Never buy NOTHING FROM ASUS!!!

And the +ram solution not help. Switch on brain: You put more +1 ram what need any Wattage, the 120W adapter is not enough.

Calculating:

45W cpu, peak 55W running at 1,5 minutes TurboCore.

If you have 1060 nvidia, 80W: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Laptop-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169547.0.html

We are after 120W+, and I not calculate RAMs, HDD+SSD, the LED panel... And mouse or other connected things... Impossible is from 120W. You can make anything, but there will be 1 problem always: THIS IS ASUS.

This calculating not know engineers from Asus, congratulations masters! Every year make bad notebooks.

And where is calculating the hot from Wattages, nonstop will be throttling because he calculate with 120W energy...

Solution: Change notebook to FX505 series or better Brand names who know whats make...

Asus known this bug, but can´t repair it with new BIOS or something else. Nothing to do with this notebook. And that low-end, low quality with cheapest components on circuit can´t take 180W or more adapter (burning). Many people says that board make on 120W buzzing the coils on motherboard, only Google it.