i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

Hi, I just bought the FX504GM-EN017T and it is having the same hard freezing problem from day one. I have applied for a refund but they wont accept it unless i show it to them exactly. So do you guys know how to trigger this freeze manually? I tried running geekbench and GTA 5 together but it diddnt work ? Please help.

35 minutes ago, Samieeeden said:

Urs one is control the cpu and gpu temperature to lower than the throttle temperature set by asus so it won't trigger power limit throttling (need repaste etc $$$)

And mine one is won't power limit throttling even u reach the temperature limit, just thermal throttling (free + temporary solution)

btw, congrats 2 u

Any fix for the FX504 GD yet?(I5 Model). I feel like it struggles more with the freezing than the other models.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:42 PM, Samieeeden said:

IMG_20190610_015638.thumb.jpg.9350f365c469ee08965b3bb18f50e0f4.jpgFound a workaround for power limit throttling in fx504GE models. From the picture you can see the laptop running at 40w TDP. Running on bios version 317. I will post the complete workaround tomorrow.

IMG_20190610_015540.jpg

IMG_20190610_015638__01.jpg

Hi, any chance you can post your fix. Want to see if it works on fx504gm. Thanks

The problem of this laptop(the fx504GM with i7 and gtx 1060) is that it comes with a 120w power adapter wich isn t enough so they power limited the cpu and gpu to keep the battery from discharging.The fx505GM fixed it by adding a 180w power adapter which is a shitty move from Asus.

6 hours ago, Lazlo1503 said:

The problem of this laptop(the fx504GM with i7 and gtx 1060) is that it comes with a 120w power adapter wich isn t enough so they power limited the cpu and gpu to keep the battery from discharging.The fx505GM fixed it by adding a 180w power adapter which is a shitty move from Asus.

My fx504Gm came with the A17-150P1A AC Power adapter wich is rated at 150W not 120W

27 minutes ago, felceaz said:

My fx504Gm came with the A17-150P1A AC Power adapter wich is rated at 150W not 120W

Mine the same. A bigger adapter won't be the solution?

1 hour ago, felceaz said:

My fx504Gm came with the A17-150P1A AC Power adapter wich is rated at 150W not 

Even 150w isn t enough look at others 1060+i7 like msi,acer(180w),lenovo(170w) but asus instead of changing the chargers of 504 they locked the tdp to half and created a new model with a 180w charger and mostly same specs.(505)

The thing I don't understand is why we could get more than 40 w, and then it goes down to 25w. If there is no problem with temperature and the charger can reach this 40w why it decrease after a time gaming? I know they limit it but i don't know why

24 minutes ago, hargoa said:

The thing I don't understand is why we could get more than 40 w, and then it goes down to 25w. If there is no problem with temperature and the charger can reach this 40w why it decrease after a time gaming? I know they limit it but i don't know why

It goes down to 25w when gpu starts to be used(like over 50%)because the gpu needs power too.Even if the power thing was fixed,there would be the thermal problems since the cooling isn t really good neither.Basically change the fx504 with fx505 or fx705 since they fixed all the problems in those(seems like fx504 was just a failed test for the "buget gaming laptops by asus").

Ok, now I understand the problem. So if I buy a 180w charger I would have this decrease to 25w? You tell me I would have thermal problems but there are some external fans that can decrease the temperature and you can do undervolting...

On 6/10/2019 at 12:42 AM, Samieeeden said:

IMG_20190610_015638.thumb.jpg.9350f365c469ee08965b3bb18f50e0f4.jpgFound a workaround for power limit throttling in fx504GE models. From the picture you can see the laptop running at 40w TDP. Running on bios version 317. I will post the complete workaround tomorrow.

IMG_20190610_015540.jpg

IMG_20190610_015638__01.jpg

Can you post your solution please?

I think I find the solution. Before, I was playing SW battlefront 2 and after a few minuts the game was going bad and I have the power limitation of 25w, I tested Cemu with Zelda and it was unplayble.

But today i recived a module of 8gb of ram and I installed in dual channel. And magically I was able to play 1 hour to SWB2 in ultra and the Cemu goes well, no power restriction, near 50w.

Needs more time testing games, but I think it works. (I've done undervolting to the cpu and gpu, but before puting the ram I've done too).

I don't know why going to dual channel apparently solved the problems, but I think it works. I have the 8300h with 1060 model.

This is the score i get after sending my laptop to RMA. Extremely dissapointed tbh, i doubt the fps drops have stopped if the score is this low.

Capture.PNG

15 hours ago, hargoa said:

I think I find the solution. Before, I was playing SW battlefront 2 and after a few minuts the game was going bad and I have the power limitation of 25w, I tested Cemu with Zelda and it was unplayble.

But today i recived a module of 8gb of ram and I installed in dual channel. And magically I was able to play 1 hour to SWB2 in ultra and the Cemu goes well, no power restriction, near 50w.

Needs more time testing games, but I think it works. (I've done undervolting to the cpu and gpu, but before puting the ram I've done too).

I don't know why going to dual channel apparently solved the problems, but I think it works. I have the 8300h with 1060 model.

Wow I’m happy to hear that.  Do you face the hard freeze problem before you add 8 gb ram in dual channel? The hard freeze that i mean is the screen stuck, no response with keyboard and mouse, and the airplane mode light lit. 

6 hours ago, RbutW said:

Wow I’m happy to hear that.  Do you face the hard freeze problem before you add 8 gb ram in dual channel? The hard freeze that i mean is the screen stuck, no response with keyboard and mouse, and the airplane mode light lit. 

No. The only freeze I had is due to undervolting too much. I have the last bios and with dual channel everything seems to go well..

On 6/19/2019 at 6:51 AM, hargoa said:

No. The only freeze I had is due to undervolting too much. I have the last bios and with dual channel everything seems to go well..

Have you tried any other game to check if the Power Limit is above 25W? I installed an 16GB additional ram to the 8gb one that came with the laptop, and they are working in Dual Channel. But still, i keep seeing the 25W limit when gaming. How much did you undervolt the GPU and CPU?

5 hours ago, davartens said:

Have you tried any other game to check if the Power Limit is above 25W? I installed an 16GB additional ram to the 8gb one that came with the laptop, and they are working in Dual Channel. But still, i keep seeing the 25W limit when gaming. How much did you undervolt the GPU and CPU?

I've tried Zelda Breath of the Wild in cemu too (before it had a lot of lag and small freezes) now it works perfect at 1080 at 50-60 frames. Also tried 2k19 and gta v.

First. Are you sure that you are in dual channel? You can check it with software Cpuz.

For undervolting the cpu I think I used 185mw and gpu I don't remember now. But I think the real problem is with dual channel.

Put the latest bios too. And remember going to the overboost mode selecting it with the keyboard. 

For me adding a stick of 8gb of ram from Aliexpress solved my problems. 

15 hours ago, hargoa said:

I've tried Zelda Breath of the Wild in cemu too (before it had a lot of lag and small freezes) now it works perfect at 1080 at 50-60 frames. Also tried 2k19 and gta v.

First. Are you sure that you are in dual channel? You can check it with software Cpuz.

For undervolting the cpu I think I used 185mw and gpu I don't remember now. But I think the real problem is with dual channel.

Put the latest bios too. And remember going to the overboost mode selecting it with the keyboard. 

For me adding a stick of 8gb of ram from Aliexpress solved my problems. 

Yes, CPU-Z shows Dual Channel, but as far as i know, it is working in Intel Flex Mode (8GB of the 16GB module work in Dual Channel with the 8GB Module that came with the laptop, and the other 8GB of the 16GB module work in Single Channel). Probably that 8GB of Single Channel is not letting me unlock the power limit.

I'm using the latest bios (307) for the FX504GM. And i'm always using the Laptop in Overboost mode.

I'm thinking in buying another 16GB module, exactly the same as the Crucial one that i'm using, to test real Dual Channel.

Are you monitoring the CPU Power consumption when playing Zelda, NBA or GTA? Are you seeing a 45W cap? Or does it move freely?

1 hour ago, davartens said:

Yes, CPU-Z shows Dual Channel, but as far as i know, it is working in Intel Flex Mode (8GB of the 16GB module work in Dual Channel with the 8GB Module that came with the laptop, and the other 8GB of the 16GB module work in Single Channel). Probably that 8GB of Single Channel is not letting me unlock the power limit.

I'm using the latest bios (307) for the FX504GM. And i'm always using the Laptop in Overboost mode.

I'm thinking in buying another 16GB module, exactly the same as the Crucial one that i'm using, to test real Dual Channel.

Are you monitoring the CPU Power consumption when playing Zelda, NBA or GTA? Are you seeing a 45W cap? Or does it move freely?

RAM being in single, dual or flex has absolutely nothing to do with a power limit.  Only the worst of cancer firmware bugs would cause RAM configuration to affect this.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

RAM being in single, dual or flex has absolutely nothing to do with a power limit.  Only the worst of cancer firmware bugs would cause RAM configuration to affect this.

I totally agree with you, these are unrelated things. But in this post, there are 3 people claiming that using ram in Dual Channel fixed the 25W cap. 

5 hours ago, davartens said:

Yes, I see in Throttlestop. Before with the games after a few minutes it goes down to 25w. Now with dual channel it can manage more than 40w (probably more than 45w(have to check it) but less than 50w) and doesn't go down to 25w.

I know that apparently it has no relation the power with the ram, but now the laptop works perfect and with very good performance. But in this post I read another man that tell the same. I think it is very odd and I am very dissappointed with Asus, but I think this is the problem. Next weekend if you want I can post a video if you don't trust me.

43 minutes ago, hargoa said:

Yes, I see in Throttlestop. Before with the games after a few minutes it goes down to 25w. Now with dual channel it can manage more than 40w (probably more than 45w(have to check it) but less than 50w) and doesn't go down to 25w.

I know that apparently it has no relation the power with the ram, but now the laptop works perfect and with very good performance. But in this post I read another man that tell the same. I think it is very odd and I am very dissappointed with Asus, but I think this is the problem. Next weekend if you want I can post a video if you don't trust me.

Alright then. I will probably order a new 16GB stick to put it in Dual Channel. If i see any difference in the power limit, i will let you know in this thread. Thank you for the info.

Is it possible to send back my asus fx 504 GD and get an replacement? The laptop has too many fps drops, ive already sent it to RMA and came back with no difference.

Still hard freeze here, airplane mode light lit, there are no any response, the only response is when i unplug the power brick, the power charging indicator turn off, and turn on again when i plug it, and have to long press to turn off my laptop. Help me please :(