i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

13 hours ago, YEYE said:

I don't think so since this is a bios lock.

By the way, is it normal to hear the fan noise at the silent mode? My silent mode is not silent at all.

Thanks 

You can increase the power limit by changing the values in TPL, if it dosent take go to the FIVR tab and activate and tick "disable and lock turbo limit"

Now you might run into thermal throttling.

Doing this i could change tdp on fx504gm 1060

5 hours ago, Jeremymathew said:

You can increase the power limit by changing the values in TPL, if it dosent take go to the FIVR tab and activate and tick "disable and lock turbo limit"

Now you might run into thermal throttling.

Doing this i could change tdp on fx504gm 1060

My 8750h+1060 model can achieve 45w stably, and can go to about 70w as the peak power consumption for seconds. The only thing I need to do for achieving this TDP is to enter the overboost mode  by fn+f5 (306 bios).

One thing locked by BIOS is the 25w TDP imposed when the GPU and CPU are working together. So I think throttlestop cannot help.

14 hours ago, YEYE said:

My 8750h+1060 model can achieve 45w stably, and can go to about 70w as the peak power consumption for seconds. The only thing I need to do for achieving this TDP is to enter the overboost mode  by fn+f5 (306 bios).

One thing locked by BIOS is the 25w TDP imposed when the GPU and CPU are working together. So I think throttlestop cannot help.

Does your laptop easily runs games now?

i'v just bought FX504GM-ES74 

6 hours ago, JIHADALSWEED said:

Does your laptop easily runs games now?

i'v just bought FX504GM-ES74 

Yes, it can run recent games smoothly, like DMC5, sekiro, ...

Unfortunately I bought this laptop for my brother before checking reliable reviews of it, and facing the same problem as the majority of the users here: the 25w tdp CPU limit (my model is 504GM with i5 8300h and 1060GTX 6G, 8GBs of RAM and 1TB Firecuda SSHD). I have tried everything so far (driver updates, upgrading to latest bios version - 306 for the GM version, undervolting, reading all the entries here, contacting ASUS support) to no avail. Is anyone here with the same hardware specs was able to solve the issue or found some workaround? 

On 4/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, YEYE said:

I don't think so since this is a bios lock.

By the way, is it normal to hear the fan noise at the silent mode? My silent mode is not silent at all.

Thanks 

Depends on what you're using it for during the silent mode.

Fan will still spin if you do heavy loads, even on silent. Without the fans it'll just shut itself down

If you're only doing office work / browsing the web, it should be silent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, felceaz said:

Here i share my Throttlestop settings, you can see all the undervolting settings on the FIVR on it's top right corner, i could reach values of -320mV and little less but i found that with -250mV i got better times on TS Bench.

About TS Bench i don't know how it managed to emulate 16 threads but there is a value. When doing a 256M size test on 12 Threads my CPU throttles to 25W for some seconds then releases to something like 50W then goes throttles to 45W that is a behavior i also found when rendering 3D images, it throttles to 2.2MHz for some seconds or early stages of the rendering process then it releases and goes up to 60+W.

My computer uses stock paste

I'm also sharing some pdfs the tech guys sent me, they are in spanish but it has images and are very simple to use, i think the most important thing to do is to stop windows from updating drivers. 

Throttlestop options.JPG

throttlestop settings fivr.JPG

Throttlestop settings tpl.JPG

TS bench refference.JPG

Inicio Selectivo Windows 10.pdf

Evitar actualización de Drivers de Windows Update.pdf

thank you som much , I did exactly like you and I got this:1055476501_2019-04-24(7).thumb.png.2b0d7f6ffb2dfc3ecbe6c1a886d6dbbe.png1379262476_2019-04-24(6).png.934fcdc8767191f1f105c32aa03e2865.png

• 2 weeks later...

Stuttering heavily and i cant find out the problem any help?

If you're on single channel RAM then you might want to add another stick for dual channel, it helps for most i7 8750H models. It surely fixes mine.

Intel i7 8700 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz | Node 202 | Cryorig C7 Cu | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB OC'ed | WD Black M.2 PCIE NVMe 500GB/WD Blue M.2 SATA 500GB | Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI | Corsair SF600

On 5/4/2019 at 12:26 AM, YeuJin said:

If you're on single channel RAM then you might want to add another stick for dual channel, it helps for most i7 8750H models. It surely fixes mine.

I'm running single channel, i only have one stick of ram 16Gb 2666Mhz, why do you think that going to dual channel would help with the throttle problem? I know that having dual channel will increase the data transfer to the CPU from Ram, tell me about your experience.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:55 PM, felceaz said:

I'm running single channel, i only have one stick of ram 16Gb 2666Mhz, why do you think that going to dual channel would help with the throttle problem? I know that having dual channel will increase the data transfer to the CPU from Ram, tell me about your experience.

Certain apps and games (mostly games for me) gets significant performance boost, on single channel I was having 59fps on BF5 and I upgrade to dual channel 16GBx2 and easily getting 80fps and above.

Before dual channel upgrade, the GPU was sitting around 50-60% load at max, even my CPU was at 2.9 - 3.1GHz (50% cpu load) at 20-25W. Don't really have a way to explain but there are videos on youtube that can help you understand.

Intel i7 8700 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz | Node 202 | Cryorig C7 Cu | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB OC'ed | WD Black M.2 PCIE NVMe 500GB/WD Blue M.2 SATA 500GB | Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI | Corsair SF600

Okay, so ive been receiving unplayable stutters in games such as Fortnite,Csgo recently and ive tried everything i could find on youtube(undervolting gpu and cpu) but the stutters still continues, my gpu temps are fine and i have no idea what is causing the problem, i just downloaded cinebench and ran the test and ill also show my undervolts. My games also crash, and after the crash, my laptop starts to lag extremely bad, forcing me to restart. I also know that my laptop is power limit throttling, I own the Asus Fx 504GD. (Nvidia 1050 and I5 8300H) 

Edit:I ran cinebench a few times, lowest score being all the way at 630, i need help desperately, my games are crashing and i cannot run a single game.

Capture.PNG

s.PNG

12.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the problem of vrm thermal throttling, I have repasted and it still happens, though it takes longer to kick in than before the repaste. I have attached a picture  with the heatsink removed . I need help to identify which vrms are over heating. The red circle is not covered by the heatsink. This is for an fx504gm i5 8300h +1060 

IMG_20190520_232701.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, kkn said:

uninstall intel xtu 1st then revert back to bios v201

then u can stress cpu + gpu together without 25w power limit throttling (thermal throttling still present)

How do i revert?

For asus fx504gm users only:

New bios just came out for Asus TUF FX 504, any updates on the performance?

16 hours ago, Combuh said:

I never had problems with the 306 version (only once it stuck), with the new 307 it sticks constantly

On 6/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, Combuh said:

Still freezing even on 307.

IMG_20190610_015638.thumb.jpg.9350f365c469ee08965b3bb18f50e0f4.jpgFound a workaround for power limit throttling in fx504GE models. From the picture you can see the laptop running at 40w TDP. Running on bios version 317. I will post the complete workaround tomorrow.

IMG_20190610_015540.jpg

IMG_20190610_015638__01.jpg

5 hours ago, Samieeeden said:

IMG_20190610_015638.thumb.jpg.9350f365c469ee08965b3bb18f50e0f4.jpgFound a workaround for power limit throttling in fx504GE models. From the picture you can see the laptop running at 40w TDP. Running on bios version 317. I will post the complete workaround tomorrow.

IMG_20190610_015540.jpg

IMG_20190610_015638__01.jpg

u stress cpu only?

or cpu + gpu?

1 hour ago, kkn said:

u stress cpu only?

or cpu + gpu?

BIOS 317 eliminates TDP limitation. CPU boosts to 4.0ghz with ease and goes up to 55w TDP. But there is VRM thermal throttling as there is no cooling for the VRM. While CPU and GPU stress test CPU boosts to 4 GHz for a few minutes and the VRM thermal throttles. when the VRM cools down it boosts again to 4ghz.

2 hours ago, Samieeeden said:

BIOS 317 eliminates TDP limitation. CPU boosts to 4.0ghz with ease and goes up to 55w TDP. But there is VRM thermal throttling as there is no cooling for the VRM. While CPU and GPU stress test CPU boosts to 4 GHz for a few minutes and the VRM thermal throttles. when the VRM cools down it boosts again to 4ghz.

i just want to know when u stress cpu + gpu the 25w limit gone?

At the beginning, I also think that the 25w throttle was caused by vrm throttle

But now, i don't think so :) because my gm model downgraded to oldest bios and can bypass the 25w throttling 

It just affected by either bios or ec firmware

1 hour ago, kkn said:

i just want to know when u stress cpu + gpu the 25w limit gone?

At the beginning, I also think that the 25w throttle was caused by vrm throttle

But now, i don't think so :) because my gm model downgraded to oldest bios and can bypass the 25w throttling 

It just affected by either bios or ec firmware

I have attached a pic while stress testing CPU and GPU using heaven benchmark and  XTU stress test. Intel XTU only shows VRM thermal throttling for a short time, no power limit throttling for me. And one more thing is that I applied liquid metal for the CPU and GPU and replaced thermal pads instead of the pre-applied thermal paste for GPU memory and power delivery areas. 

IMG_20190610_123010.jpg

2 minutes ago, Samieeeden said:

I have attached a pic while stress testing CPU and GPU using heaven benchmark and  XTU stress test. Intel XTU only shows VRM thermal throttling for a short time, no power limit throttling for me. And one more thing is that I applied liquid metal for the CPU and GPU and replaced thermal pads instead of the pre-applied thermal paste for GPU memory and power delivery areas. Overclocked the GPU to 1759mhz. 

IMG_20190610_123010.jpg