i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

My laptop is asus tuf fx504gm (i5-8300h/1060 6 gb/8gb RAM/SSD 128 gb). Always hard freeze randomly in every single of my game like GTA V, Apex Legend and Scum even in low setting (The screen stuck and I can’t do anything and i have to long press the power button to shut it down). I’ve updated everything even reinstall the windows. The GPU and CPU Temps were not too hot i guess, 65-75 celcius. Ram and cpu usage are not in problem too (Monitored by MSI Afterburner). Any help? Thanks.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, RbutW said:

My laptop is asus tuf fx504gm (i5-8300h/1060 6 gb/8gb RAM/SSD 128 gb). Always hard freeze randomly in every single of my game like GTA V, Apex Legend and Scum even in low setting (The screen stuck and I can’t do anything and i have to long press the power button to shut it down). I’ve updated everything even reinstall the windows. The GPU and CPU Temps were not too hot i guess, 65-75 celcius. Ram and cpu usage are not in problem too (Monitored by MSI Afterburner). Any help? Thanks.

Same here.

Based on my  testing, this power throttle mechanism is triggered when the load is larger than a threshold. I think this mechanism is for the protection of the power system, since the power brick is only 150 watt, which is insufficient for a 8750h+1060 configuration. So, it is reasonable to give a 25w limit to the CPU when the load is too large.

However, I think the real problem lies in the limitation removal judge statement. I found I cannot remove this 25w limitation even if the load returns to a normal state. The only cure seems to be pressing fn+f5 for 3 times manually, when the load is lower than a threshold..

If I am correct, I hope Asus's BIOS engineers can make a smarter BIOS, which can quit the 25w limitation automatically and also rapidly..

By the way, my model is fx504gm-es74. Everything seems to be good unless I use CPU and GPU at the same time..

Hope my poster can help.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, RbutW said:

I have the same configuration and the same problem.

7 hours ago, YEYE said:

Based on my  testing, this power throttle mechanism is triggered when the load is larger than a threshold. I think this mechanism is for the protection of the power system, since the power brick is only 150 watt, which is insufficient for a 8750h+1060 configuration. So, it is reasonable to give a 25w limit to the CPU when the load is too large.

However, I think the real problem lies in the limitation removal judge statement. I found I cannot remove this 25w limitation even if the load returns to a normal state. The only cure seems to be pressing fn+f5 for 3 times manually, when the load is lower than a threshold..

If I am correct, I hope Asus's BIOS engineers can make a smarter BIOS, which can quit the 25w limitation automatically and also rapidly..

By the way, my model is fx504gm-es74. Everything seems to be good unless I use CPU and GPU at the same time..

Hope my poster can help.

Its a good information, but if this is the problems root, the machine isnt usable for gaming, what is a big problem according to me, because this is a gamer laptop.

Here is one of my test, which may show the problem:

1) using benchmark software, we can drive CPU to 45 watt

2) open a gpu demanding software, like furmark. start GPU test. we can see that CPU power drops to 25w immediately.

3) even if we close this gpu software, the CPU still remains 25W, and cannot recover to 45 watt full power. you need to switch out of  overboost mode and then switch into it to re-enable the 45 Watt.

This problem can cause continuous frame drops in games!

3 hours ago, mikcsek said:

Its a good information, but if this is the problems root, the machine isnt usable for gaming, what is a big problem according to me, because this is a gamer laptop.

I also tried 305 BIOS given by dante5102. The phenomenon is nearly the same. 

I undervolt cpu by -175mv.It can run at 3ghz*6core at 25W, which is comparable to other laptops with similar spec. So I have no problem with my games.

The actual problem is the fan control in linux. I cannot overboost my fans. This means that both GPU and CPU cannot function properly in linux due to the heat throttle.

11 hours ago, YEYE said:

Hope my poster can help.

so if I buy a 180w power brick, the problem goes away?

Does anyone have an issue with this laptop where the WiFi card seems to just die suddenly with an error code? Not sure if it's software or hardware, but I want to sell this piece of garbage, and I would feel bad selling it to someone knowing it has that issue

I would like to send it back to ASUS (still under warranty) but not sure how to prove the issue since it doesn't always happen

22 hours ago, CrowbarY said:

so if I buy a 180w power brick, the problem goes away?

No! Bios Lock!

However, I think this can do goods to your battery. The battery life would be longer..

FX504GM.306

306 bios. I got this from windows updates. I don't know what asus have done in this version, but 25w limit still exists when cpu and gpu are used together.

I don't know why windows update gets newer bios versions, it is like beta versions that asus will eventually add to therir official page. When i wrote ASUS they sent me directions to stop windows updating, they wanted me to use only the software listed on their page.

I guess a good practice is to complain to ASUS so they can make an effort in releasing a better BIOS other than that they will just move on to the new laptop models. When i say complain is to describe the problems you are facing and giving them a chance to resolve it, in  the end all those complains will become part of their statistics and will surely get more and more attention.

So what should i do then to clear my problem? My friend’s asus tuf fx504 gm (Same with my model)  work properly never face the hardfreeze problem like me. His bios 303. And my bios 305. 

On 3/12/2019 at 5:37 PM, RbutW said:

Mine was the i7-8750H, GTX 1060 one and the total same thing happened to me since the 1st day I'd bought the laptop. Sent it to repair under warranty for 4 times over the span of 3-4 months (they reinstalled Windows every time and replaced almost all the hardware, mobo twice, speaker, keyboard, wireless etc) but the problem is still there. Contacted ASUS (my country) they again asking me to send it to the service center. Even though I provided them screen shot of other users (4-5) on ROG forum, reddit and Amazon review of the same model saying they're facing the same hard freeze. 

Tried all possible methods to solve it by myself (changing power options, DISM, sfc, DDU and reinstall nvidia, bought cooling pad, vacuum cooler for both vents, using driver booster, manually update all drivers (including hidden ones) ETC ETC ETC and nothing works AT ALL. I'm very sure the problem is with the ASUS laptop's software itself but ASUS is doing nothing to fix it or help at all.

I could not play games at all at this stage with the laptop and it's usage is just to browse the net and sits there as a decorative machine in my room....Could not refund either...

Went 6 days without freezing just by playing Subnautica but on the 7th day it froze twice corrupting my save file. I think It hard freeze more often with those high usage game like GTA V, kingdom come deliverance, PoE and even dota 2. Even when I left my game there to AFK and came back it froze, or with the game opened and alt-tab to browse, it also hard freezes. Could not play any games at all at this stage, in fear of losing progression and save files...

If anyone find a fix or solution to this non-stop random hard freeze please let me know...ASUS will not do anything at all even they are aware of this problem that's affecting this model and their users. They sold us a faulty NEW product and will not do anything to fix it....and we cannot do anything but to hold onto it and suffer.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:05 AM, RbutW said:

So what should i do then to clear my problem? My friend’s asus tuf fx504 gm (Same with my model)  work properly never face the hardfreeze problem like me. His bios 303. And my bios 305. 

Your friend played the same games as you did? Mine hard freeze for 303, and they updated to 305 also same. Now on bios version 306 still hard freezes....

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:54 AM, bestofu said:

Your friend played the same games as you did? Mine hard freeze for 303, and they updated to 305 also same. Now on bios version 306 still hard freezes....

Hi, I think the issue is either hardware related or BIOS version related. I say this because I bought a resealed broken fx504gm which hard freeze and light up the airplane mode led in games, the laptop  had bios 303(with same creation date as the one on ASUS website). Also I have seen that that laptop was thermal throttling a lot even if the temperatures were not that high. I was lucky because I had 30 days to return the laptop and that's what I did.. I just ordered another same model which was not re-sealed(had to pay extra), this one never had any hardfreeze in 2 months since I am using it, and I used it a lot. What I can see is that it has bios 303 but with a newer creation date and doesn't thermal throttling(only voltage, but games run great even so)

So in conclusion, if it was software related, than why some om the laptops from this model doesn't have this problems?

13 hours ago, Porkus said:

Hi, I think the issue is either hardware related or BIOS version related. I say this because I bought a resealed broken fx504gm which hard freeze and light up the airplane mode led in games, the laptop  had bios 303(with same creation date as the one on ASUS website). Also I have seen that that laptop was thermal throttling a lot even if the temperatures were not that high. I was lucky because I had 30 days to return the laptop and that's what I did.. I just ordered another same model which was not re-sealed(had to pay extra), this one never had any hardfreeze in 2 months since I am using it, and I used it a lot. What I can see is that it has bios 303 but with a newer creation date and doesn't thermal throttling(only voltage, but games run great even so)

So in conclusion, if it was software related, than why some om the laptops from this model doesn't have this problems?

I had it hard freeze no matter the bios version. And yea the airplane mode light was lit everytime. I'm thinking maybe it's due to the thermal throttling issue leading it to hard freeze under heavy usage especially gaming? I've known 5 or 6 other users also having the same hard freeze as I am, of course the same model. 

So far for low-end / mild usage game like Stardew Valley, Frostpunk, L4D2 it never freezes...so far... But I don't know as of why d2 froze, d2 is a high usage game? If you know how to fix the thermal throttling problem please let me know so I could test and see whether it still freezes or not. Or maybe this issue only somehow? affect 20-30% of FX504 that produced? Some sort of unknown error? If not why after you changed a brand NEW fx504gm and the problem somehow went away totally?

2 hours ago, bestofu said:

I had it hard freeze no matter the bios version. And yea the airplane mode light was lit everytime. I'm thinking maybe it's due to the thermal throttling issue leading it to hard freeze under heavy usage especially gaming? I've known 5 or 6 other users also having the same hard freeze as I am, of course the same model. 

So far for low-end / mild usage game like Stardew Valley, Frostpunk, L4D2 it never freezes...so far... But I don't know as of why d2 froze, d2 is a high usage game? If you know how to fix the thermal throttling problem please let me know so I could test and see whether it still freezes or not. Or maybe this issue only somehow? affect 20-30% of FX504 that produced? Some sort of unknown error? If not why after you changed a brand NEW fx504gm and the problem somehow went away totally?

I don't think is related to high usage game, I remember I had the hard freeze in APEX Legends after Playing for 1 hour and after restarting the laptop I opened the same game and it just hard froze in the main menu, there was no way it got enough time to get hot and didn't had any hardcore graphics to process there.

One thing I forgot to mention. The Windows installation on the new laptop was identical with the one I had on the broken one (this is because I bought an m2 SSD on which I installed Windows and when I sent the broken laptop back I kept the SSD and put it in the new one(same hardware) and just run the windows which was already installed on the broken one(so same drivers and software). Taking this into consideration I think the problem is not software related(it is true that sometimes same models may have different wifi card or Bluetooth card).

20 hours ago, Porkus said:

I don't think is related to high usage game, I remember I had the hard freeze in APEX Legends after Playing for 1 hour and after restarting the laptop I opened the same game and it just hard froze in the main menu, there was no way it got enough time to get hot and didn't had any hardcore graphics to process there.

One thing I forgot to mention. The Windows installation on the new laptop was identical with the one I had on the broken one (this is because I bought an m2 SSD on which I installed Windows and when I sent the broken laptop back I kept the SSD and put it in the new one(same hardware) and just run the windows which was already installed on the broken one(so same drivers and software). Taking this into consideration I think the problem is not software related(it is true that sometimes same models may have different wifi card or Bluetooth card).

But thing is I'd RMA my laptop 4 times and in those 4 times they replaced the mobo twice and SSD and HDD. Before and after the hardware replacement, the hard freeze still occurred. And yea they reformatted Windows every single time.

Did you swap your m2 SSD out? And if yes, after that did you not face any sort of hard freeze at all? 

7 hours ago, bestofu said:

But thing is I'd RMA my laptop 4 times and in those 4 times they replaced the mobo twice and SSD and HDD. Before and after the hardware replacement, the hard freeze still occurred. And yea they reformatted Windows every single time.

Did you swap your m2 SSD out? And if yes, after that did you not face any sort of hard freeze at all? 

Maybe it's from the Video card, maybe it's faulty memory on video card(video card except the main chip is designed and manufactured by asus for this model of laptop).

Yes I just swapped the m2 SSD from the broken laptop to the new one. After swapping, it just booted into the already installed windows just like it was on the same laptop, and had no freeze in 2 months since purchase of the new one, and believe me, I tested the laptop a lot, just to make sure before the 30 days mark that it really has no problem(knowing that some of them have this issue).

I really like the laptop design and how it works.. that's why I opted to go for the same model in case it works :D

19 hours ago, Porkus said:

Maybe it's from the Video card, maybe it's faulty memory on video card(video card except the main chip is designed and manufactured by asus for this model of laptop).

Yes I just swapped the m2 SSD from the broken laptop to the new one. After swapping, it just booted into the already installed windows just like it was on the same laptop, and had no freeze in 2 months since purchase of the new one, and believe me, I tested the laptop a lot, just to make sure before the 30 days mark that it really has no problem(knowing that some of them have this issue).

I really like the laptop design and how it works.. that's why I opted to go for the same model in case it works :D

By video card you mean the graphic card? I thought the graphic card is integrated onto the mobo and cannot be removed because ASUS manufactured their own mobo? If yes and I'd changed mobo twice meaning i'm unlucky and got the bad graphic card on the mobo twice? What about the first time? When I just bought it new it also hard freeze, the other users are the same too... Meaning ASUS is producing the same motherboard that consisted of normal ones and faulty ones?

i love these temps ❤️ keeps my hands warm during winter

35W.png

I v´have the same Problem with the Model FX 504 GM. And the Bios 306 also brings Nothing?

On 3/25/2019 at 12:30 AM, Lathaniel said:

I watched the following you tube clip: https://youtu.be/VhXIiBPJseI and here they use throttlestop 8.7 to remove power limit throttling.

Could this be an answer to the FX504gm performance issues? Your replies are appreciated 

I don't think so since this is a bios lock.

By the way, is it normal to hear the fan noise at the silent mode? My silent mode is not silent at all.

Thanks