i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

I Had the same problem like most describe and at my case the solution was easy but disappointing. (asus tuf fx504gm i78740h, gtx1060 6GB, 60hz screen)

It was all about the fan speed 

Silent = 25W limit

balanced = 45W

Overboost = boost to 60W-70W for a short boost and goes down to 45W limit

so in order to get high score in cinebench i just changed fan speed to overboost and got 1230, for my experience balanced worked fine on shadow of the tomb raider ultra settings but every few minutes i got a 1 sec freeze overboost was smooth but the noise is crazy.

i didn't figure out yet how to overclock the gpu any advise?

14 hours ago, HadesX said:

I Had the same problem like most describe and at my case the solution was easy but disappointing. (asus tuf fx504gm i78740h, gtx1060 6GB, 60hz screen)

It was all about the fan speed 

Silent = 25W limit

balanced = 45W

Overboost = boost to 60W-70W for a short boost and goes down to 45W limit

so in order to get high score in cinebench i just changed fan speed to overboost and got 1230, for my experience balanced worked fine on shadow of the tomb raider ultra settings but every few minutes i got a 1 sec freeze overboost was smooth but the noise is crazy.

i didn't figure out yet how to overclock the gpu any advise?

There is many how to videos on youtube how to make custom voltage curves with MSI Afterburner. 

On 12/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, BackSpace144 said:

Until you use the dedicated GPU, then it power throttles the CPU to 25W and GPU (though I don't know to what extent). Apparently ASUS says it does this to keep the battery from draining while gaming. I don't know how this is even possible with an i5 machine and a 135W power brick though. 

Nah, my cpu goes above 25W when playing games. Also, I never experienced any battery drain from playing games.

i need help,i have the asus tuf fx504 laptop and your solution is not working on mine,the tdp is still locked to 25 while gaming.the main problem is the fps drops or stuttering during gameplay which happens every 30 seconds where the fps comes down to 50 from 100 and again quickly to 100 again which makes it very annoying while playing any gpu intensive game.Is there any solution for it?

i have tried lowering the settings but this happens even in the lowest settings possible.
please help!

On 12/30/2018 at 9:31 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

Nah, my cpu goes above 25W when playing games. Also, I never experienced any battery drain from playing games.

Lucky you man, lucky you. I wish mine did that. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, BackSpace144 said:

Lucky you man, lucky you. I wish mine did that. 

how can it be that the same notebook has such different performances between users? 

7 hours ago, ale fuentes said:

how can it be that the same notebook has such different performances between users? 

I can only think of different configurations or running software. 

17 hours ago, felceaz said:

I can only think of different configurations or running software. 

you mean the software used to do benchmarking?

hello i recent pulyrchased an asus fx504gm, i realized that my cpu hz usage in-game is at half for the power limit, i've read all thread, all possible forum and nothing, i've tried to downgrade the hz of the cpu and the gpu to see in something can change ,but still nothing ,i've almost tried all but i can't loose time for a laptop for wich i spend 1100EURO ;unaccetable . now i think i will change the laptop definitly because ii think this laptop is a fraud. litteraly a fraud. what do you suggest me? take it or leave it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 3:11 AM, Jok3resse said:

hello i recent pulyrchased an asus fx504gm, i realized that my cpu hz usage in-game is at half for the power limit, i've read all thread, all possible forum and nothing, i've tried to downgrade the hz of the cpu and the gpu to see in something can change ,but still nothing ,i've almost tried all but i can't loose time for a laptop for wich i spend 1100EURO ;unaccetable . now i think i will change the laptop definitly because ii think this laptop is a fraud. litteraly a fraud. what do you suggest me? take it or leave it?

Leave it... buy the new model which is FX505GM in which they fixed all power limiting problems + stronger cooling solution (more heatpipe, etc..) ;) by the way.. All those information is depending to the reports that I saw (google is your friend) :)  

On 1/5/2019 at 2:47 AM, Ashutosh` said:

i need help,i have the asus tuf fx504 laptop and your solution is not working on mine,the tdp is still locked to 25 while gaming.the main problem is the fps drops or stuttering during gameplay which happens every 30 seconds where the fps comes down to 50 from 100 and again quickly to 100 again which makes it very annoying while playing any gpu intensive game.Is there any solution for it?

i have tried lowering the settings but this happens even in the lowest settings possible.
please help!

Updated BIOS, windows, and all the drivers yet?

hi guys, unfortunately the pc I had purchased was not available and they offered me the fx504. I had to accept and now I am trying to solve at least partially the throttling problem.

What throttlestop settings do you recommend? Could you help me?
Thanks

Hey guys.

So my ASUS FX504 is about to be delivered and I've just seen this thread. I've bought the laptop for gaming, mainly for Battlefield 1. I've seen it has some issues with thermal throttle, while I don't know what exactly that is, I hope I won't get it but I probably will. So what is the solution for this lack of performance? Undervolting & fan speed overboost? I haven't read the previous page so my apologies for my laziness. :D

Where do I get driver updates from? Is there a must to have ASUS manufactured drivers? I had a Lenovo Y520 and some people told me that I needed to use the drivers that were uploaded on Lenovo support site for better compatibility.

Thanks!

On 1/31/2019 at 3:59 PM, kristalshards said:

Hey guys.

So my ASUS FX504 is about to be delivered and I've just seen this thread. I've bought the laptop for gaming, mainly for Battlefield 1. I've seen it has some issues with thermal throttle, while I don't know what exactly that is, I hope I won't get it but I probably will. So what is the solution for this lack of performance? Undervolting & fan speed overboost? I haven't read the previous page so my apologies for my laziness. :D

Where do I get driver updates from? Is there a must to have ASUS manufactured drivers? I had a Lenovo Y520 and some people told me that I needed to use the drivers that were uploaded on Lenovo support site for better compatibility.

Thanks!

It shouldn't thermal throttle after u update the drivers and bios (and also windows maybe)

find the drivers here :

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504/HelpDesk_Download/

On 1/28/2019 at 4:20 PM, fauchelafleur said:

hi guys, unfortunately the pc I had purchased was not available and they offered me the fx504. I had to accept and now I am trying to solve at least partially the throttling problem.

What throttlestop settings do you recommend? Could you help me?
Thanks

Try updating the drivers, bios, and windows before u start undervolting and tweaking. It should be fixed by now.

On 2/3/2019 at 6:01 AM, Pio Soesetio said:

It shouldn't thermal throttle after u update the drivers and bios (and also windows maybe)

find the drivers here :

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX504/HelpDesk_Download/

Hi, I played Battlefield 1 these days and it looks like CPU temperature is acceptable, 75 degrees Celsius max, but the GPU is higher than that, it gets up to 78 degrees which is a bit too much for my liking. Do you have any ideas what could be done to decrease the GPU temperature?

23 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Hi, I played Battlefield 1 these days and it looks like CPU temperature is acceptable, 75 degrees Celsius max, but the GPU is higher than that, it gets up to 78 degrees which is a bit too much for my liking. Do you have any ideas what could be done to decrease the GPU temperature?

in simple words, temps will not go higher because the cpu is locked to work on a low 25W TDP. As a consequence of this throttling, the cpu wont work a max performance.Have you updated bios and drivers? start with that, then undervolt and tweak. 

hope it helps

On 2/3/2019 at 1:01 AM, Pio Soesetio said:

Try updating the drivers, bios, and windows before u start undervolting and tweaking. It should be fixed by now.

hi, the website of asus has v.312 BIOS. It is from late august 2018, so nothing has changed in the last month. Are you sure it should be fixed by now?

On 2/5/2019 at 3:06 PM, ale fuentes said:

in simple words, temps will not go higher because the cpu is locked to work on a low 25W TDP. As a consequence of this throttling, the cpu wont work a max performance.Have you updated bios and drivers? start with that, then undervolt and tweak. 

hope it helps

Yeah I have up to dated drivers and BIOS, I also undervolted both CPU and GPU and the temperatures are almost the same... As for the power limitation, wasn't it removed with the new BIOS update?

Edit: Does anyone knows why Fn+F5 combination doesn't do anything? It's supposed to change the fan control to Silent, Overboost etc, but it just doesn't show anything for me.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:27 AM, kristalshards said:

Yeah I have up to dated drivers and BIOS, I also undervolted both CPU and GPU and the temperatures are almost the same... As for the power limitation, wasn't it removed with the new BIOS update?

Edit: Does anyone knows why Fn+F5 combination doesn't do anything? It's supposed to change the fan control to Silent, Overboost etc, but it just doesn't show anything for me.

check if you have the interface component disabled, that solved it when fn+f5 didnt work in my pc. 

I have Asus Tuf Fx504GM . Power limit throttling has been fixed in Bios 305. However that is not benefiting at all as i face thermal throttling now( 96degree C).

Cinebench scores are somewhere around 700 and while playing fortnite sometimes fps go down to 30fps because of thermal throttling and stay that way till the temperatures are high. Undervolting upto -150mv didnt help either temperatures didnt reduce a bit.

If u have Bios 305 and you are still facing power limit throttling you could try updating one of those ACPI things in system devices . I remember manually opening each of them and then update > check drivers online and one of those updated. Also try uninstalling IDPTF and let it be automatically reinstalled by windows on restart.

I have now switched numerous times between bios 303 and bios 305 and seen the power limit and temperature differences.

NOTE : If you update your bios to 305 while your pc is in overboost mode and when your pc restarts you need to move through the fan options and select overboost again to get higher power use.

update.thumb.png.a017eff3858ee78086034f0f01869cf9.png

powerlimit.png

On 2/8/2019 at 4:06 PM, ale fuentes said:

check if you have the interface component disabled, that solved it when fn+f5 didnt work in my pc. 

What is interface component disabled and where to find it

On 2/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, dante5102 said:

I have Asus Tuf Fx504GM . Power limit throttling has been fixed in Bios 305. However that is not benefiting at all as i face thermal throttling now( 96degree C).

Cinebench scores are somewhere around 700 and while playing fortnite sometimes fps go down to 30fps because of thermal throttling and stay that way till the temperatures are high. Undervolting upto -150mv didnt help either temperatures didnt reduce a bit.

If u have Bios 305 and you are still facing power limit throttling you could try updating one of those ACPI things in system devices . I remember manually opening each of them and then update > check drivers online and one of those updated. Also try uninstalling IDPTF and let it be automatically reinstalled by windows on restart.

I have now switched numerous times between bios 303 and bios 305 and seen the power limit and temperature differences.

NOTE : If you update your bios to 305 while your pc is in overboost mode and when your pc restarts you need to move through the fan options and select overboost again to get higher power use.

update.thumb.png.a017eff3858ee78086034f0f01869cf9.png

powerlimit.png

I have the FX504GM with bios 305. How did you downgrade to 303 as it will not let me do it via winflash and I'm sure i via E-Z flash in bios settings. Thanks

On 2/10/2019 at 11:43 PM, dante5102 said:

Power limit throttling has been fixed in Bios 305. However that is not benefiting at all as i face thermal throttling now( 96degree C).

How??? Mine gets to 45W TDP and it only reaches 91 celsius max, after long stress tests. I got around 1100 cb in cinebench