i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

On 10/10/2018 at 1:04 PM, laidagod said:

Hi Guys,

I Buy TUF 504 GM last 2 month, monitor through XTU i don't know is it good performance. Here the attached picture

Screenshot (4).png

Well I can't tell just by looking at the pic u sent. Do some benchmarks.

On 10/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

Well I can't tell just by looking at the pic u sent. Do some benchmarks.

Which kind of benchmark tools to use? Cinebench r15 is it sufficient or have other ?

will disabling hyperthreading help?? i think it will lower power consumption and physical cores can run at higher clock then!!....just a thought!!

On 10/20/2018 at 10:28 AM, Bluedragon2201 said:

will disabling hyperthreading help?? i think it will lower power consumption and physical cores can run at higher clock then!!....just a thought!!

Pretty sure u can't disable hyperthreading on a laptop.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:18 PM, laidagod said:

Which kind of benchmark tools to use? Cinebench r15 is it sufficient or have other ?

Yeah it's sufficient

Not really related to power limit throttling, but this thread is basically about the FX504 anyway, so thought I would ask here

Has anyone replaced the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU or did ASUS do a good job/use good quality paste?

Not sure if Windows 10 update has caused troubles on other FX504 notebooks, but I'm experiencing some lag on games, and last night a game (DOOM 2016) crushed!! never before had that happened. All around feeling on windows also seems slower, and it all started with the W10 October update. Any suggestions?

On 6/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

I recently bought an ASUS TUF FX504 with an i7 8750h. The first time i ran cinebench (cpu) it has a 900+ score. Note that the first time i run cinebench i don't have any programs like intel xtu, throttlestop, cpuz, etc, just brand new out of the box with nothing installed. The next time i run it came out with only 750 ish score. I monitored the cpu and it was only running at 2.2 Ghz. This was n't caused by thermal throttling, because the cpu's temperatures were really low, only 55-60 celsius under full load. I opened intel xtu and noticed that it has a power limit throttling. And in throttlestop it shows that one of its limits is PL2. I tried undervolting the cache and the cpu core which resulted in an increase to the cpu frequency to 2.5-2.6 Ghz when running cinebench. Same case like before, thermals are not a problem, still hitting 55-60 celsius. Undervolting the cpu cache increases the cpu frequency, while the core clock doesn't do much, but i can only do it until a certain point. The power limit throttling is still there and i think it is the one that is causing the cpu frequency to be so low. Another thing that i noticed is that when the cpu is running all cores at 100% load, the pacakge tdp is only 25W despite the rated tdp at 45W. Changing the package power limit also didn't help. I changed it to 70W but it only reaches a max of 25W TDP when running cinebench. Btw, the cpu can still run up to 4 Ghz in daily tasks where the cpu load is pretty low. Please help me out. 

Capture1.PNG

Capture11.PNG

Capture11111.PNG

Capture123213.PNG

1123.PNG

12312321.PNG

1232142145.PNG

Capture.PNG

1231245124.PNG

Hello the fix is very simple. Turn on fan over boost. It should help your issue asong as the temps are below 70c

Have a good day!

On 11/3/2018 at 2:56 PM, RonTheExpert said:

Hello the fix is very simple. Turn on fan over boost. It should help your issue asong as the temps are below 70c

Have a good day!

but he said temps are not a problem... how is fan over boost going to help in that case?

On 11/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, ale fuentes said:

but he said temps are not a problem... how is fan over boost going to help in that case?

Because ASUS are morons. It power limit throttles unless overboost mode is on.

It still power limit throttles when oberboost is applied. 

20 hours ago, laptopnoob678 said:

how can that be? is there a way to check that?

thanks for the info

On 11/7/2018 at 4:31 PM, laptopnoob678 said:

This is incorrect, the power limit throttling is not linked to overboost.

It occurs when certain software is open.

6 hours ago, ale fuentes said:

how can that be? is there a way to check that?

thanks for the info

Turn on overboost, open XTU, then open software that has previously shown the symptoms (eg; HWMonitor) and you will see power limit throttling. 

On 11/8/2018 at 4:52 PM, Edgehill said:

Turn on overboost, open XTU, then open software that has previously shown the symptoms (eg; HWMonitor) and you will see power limit throttling. 

this make a lot more sense, so It's a software-related thing...very strange. And the only way to know is checking each case? 

On 11/8/2018 at 7:52 PM, Edgehill said:

Sorry, you're right about this, that some things like HWMonitor cause it to power limit throttle

However in gaming, Cinebench, etc. overboost definitely allows it to use over 25W

23 hours ago, ale fuentes said:

this make a lot more sense, so It's a software-related thing...very strange. And the only way to know is checking each case? 

Pretty much, from previous testing it seems relate in some way to the UHD 630.

Seems to mostly be applications that probe the UHD 630 for data in some way, so mostly monitoring and benchmarking software.

However as others have mentioned some games are affect and unfortunately the only way to know which ones is to try.

Hi everyone, I just got this laptop FX504 I7 8750h GTX1060. I see the problem as software related, and not hardware and not cooling. The cooling capability actually seems quite good. The problem seems to be the software limiting CPU power to only 25w rather than 45w as it should do. 

I started with benching cinebench, scores around 870 with power throttling to 25w, so I changed these settings to much improve the score. Intel XTU used, not throttlestop.

Core offset voltage -120

Processor graphics offset voltage -20

Fan mode overboost

Apply settings and benched again on cinebench and score is much improved, 1221. So I run prime 95, you see in my image the CPU starts off at 3.9GHz for the boost @ roughly 60w and then settles with power throttling as it should at 45w and the CPU is at 3.5GHz steady. Now, restart PC and try bench again... 870 and power throttling to 25w TDP, reapply settings above and re run cinebench and back to 1225 this time. 

Seems to me the problem, is software related possibly to do with the fan control. I had a watt monitor on my plug, when the CPU TDP is throttled to 25w it is only pulling 60w from the wall, when it sits at 45w it pulls 110w or more. 

I played the forza 4 horizon demo and the machine works very well, I hope it continues as such, now to find a way to stop the settings resetting when the machine is switched off.

Bench test Asus.jpg

On 11/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, Shaunster said:

Hi everyone, I just got this laptop FX504 I7 8750h GTX1060. I see the problem as software related, and not hardware and not cooling. The cooling capability actually seems quite good. The problem seems to be the software limiting CPU power to only 25w rather than 45w as it should do. 

I started with benching cinebench, scores around 870 with power throttling to 25w, so I changed these settings to much improve the score. Intel XTU used, not throttlestop.

Core offset voltage -120

Processor graphics offset voltage -20

Fan mode overboost

Apply settings and benched again on cinebench and score is much improved, 1221. So I run prime 95, you see in my image the CPU starts off at 3.9GHz for the boost @ roughly 60w and then settles with power throttling as it should at 45w and the CPU is at 3.5GHz steady. Now, restart PC and try bench again... 870 and power throttling to 25w TDP, reapply settings above and re run cinebench and back to 1225 this time. 

Seems to me the problem, is software related possibly to do with the fan control. I had a watt monitor on my plug, when the CPU TDP is throttled to 25w it is only pulling 60w from the wall, when it sits at 45w it pulls 110w or more. 

I played the forza 4 horizon demo and the machine works very well, I hope it continues as such, now to find a way to stop the settings resetting when the machine is switched off.

Bench test Asus.jpg

amazing! you seem to have fixed the power issue, how can it be prevented from reseting?

Edited by ale fuentes
better expression of the idea

I created an account just to reply to this thread here, because I found something interesting.I have the i5-8300h variant with the 1050ti, so ymmv. I was on the verge of sending this laptop back. but now I'm not so sure! I do believe that the 25w TDP limit is linked to the over-boost profile, in-order to fix the issue you have to manually set the laptop to over boost on every boot. Let me run you through my "procedure"

1. Boot laptop with power plugged in

2. start intel XTU and begin a CPU stress test, prime 95 stress test works as well.

3. notice that TDP is throttling to 25w!

4. hit fn+f5 and profile is set to silent, fn+f5 again and it's set to balanced, fn+f5 again and it's set to overboost.

5. core speeds immediately shoot up to 3.9ghz (I have a -.150mv offset)

6. ????????

7. Profit

Is there something I'm missing here? every time the computer resets, the TDP gets locked back to 25, cycling through the fan modes allows it to exceed 40w. could some people with the fx504 line test to see if this is reproducible? it seems to me that asus is going to lose sales because of a minor software issue that could be easily patched. I got a GREAT deal on this laptop, so if all I have to do is pres fn+f5 3 times every time I want to play a game, so be it. 

throtling.thumb.png.b7ee003c9c5890ac62111ccd730fd0f1.png

^proof of non throttled 8300h running prime95

I've talked via e-mail to the representatives of ASUS Latin America, i asked them to please help me walk through the throttle problems and try to avoid sending my machine to service since there is no ASUS service center in my country (Venezuela).

They told me to reset my computer and stop windows automatically updating drivers, they wanted me to have the drivers they recommend on the ASUS official page. They sent me some pdfs on the procedures.

I've noticed that after applying all the tweaks there is still this "EDP Other" sign on Throttlestop. When you set your power plan to a performance one, you should leave the Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan to Balanced and not Maximum performance , all the other settings can be on Maximum performance. After all if you have the FX504 the GTX graphic card should kick in when you are doing intensive work.

My CPU can reach 50-60+W and then settle in 45W when the task is long, sometimes it throttles momentarily for like 6 seconds to 25W @ 2.2GHz at the start of cinebench then releases to 50-60+W @ 3.9GHz and then drops to 45W @ 3.7GHz Scoring 1100+

edp.JPG

no edp.JPG

power setting.JPG

Although I've read this topic I still decided to go for this laptop because of the amazing price for an i7-8750H with 16Gb of RAM.

The first thing I did when receiving it was a Cinebench test and it's scoring a good 1100 cb right out of the box with no adjustments to fan speed, underclocking,... so I guess I'm not having this throttling problem at all. 

On the downside the TN panel isn't really good (really bad viewing angle) and the trackpad is making way too much noise. The lower part of the trackpad is always moving (down) when just touching it and thats making an awfull noise. I didn't have this on my 2 current laptops (Toshiba and Lenovo). Is it normal or is there something wrong with it? 

3 hours ago, my_6th_sense said:

The first thing I did when receiving it was a Cinebench test and it's scoring a good 1100 cb right out of the box with no adjustments to fan speed, underclocking,... so I guess I'm not having this throttling problem at all. 

Damn, you're lucky.

On the downside the TN panel isn't really good (really bad viewing angle)

Wat? mine has almost 180 degrees viewing angle. Looks clear at any angle.

The lower part of the trackpad is always moving (down) when just touching it and thats making an awfull noise. I didn't have this on my 2 current laptops (Toshiba and Lenovo). Is it normal or is there something wrong with it? 

Don't have the problems in mine. Try updating drivers (?)

1 hour ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Damn, you're lucky.

Wat? mine has almost 180 degrees viewing angle. Looks clear at any angle.

Don't have the problems in mine. Try updating drivers (?)

I received all windows updates now, rebooted and the score went down to about 950-1000 now...Might be an update related problem Felceaz already suggested...

Are you sure you have the version with TN panel and not the IPS version? 

Regarding the touchpad, its a hardware problem...The touchpad is making a ticking sound everytime I touch it...My older Toshiba and Lenovo don't do this but it might be "normal" for the ASUS, I don't know....