i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

On 9/6/2018 at 3:01 PM, aminnur said:

I have tested this thing twice, charge it till full and the charge led goes white then i play some heavy games such as farcry, cod, gta and the led becomes red/orange which is the battery is not full 

Something's probably wrong with ur laptop. Mine never does that, I tried playing GTA V, other games, Rendering video, Stress testing the gpu and cpu. Battery never drains, and stays at fully charged.

17 hours ago, Edgehill said:

If anyone can think what might be causing this issue or has a fix/better work around please let me know?

Just don't use Cpu-z and other of those programs. Lol. Throtltestop doesn't cause it to throttle so, just use throttlestop(?)

2 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Just don't use Cpu-z and other of those programs. Lol. Throtltestop doesn't cause it to throttle so, just use throttlestop(?)

Personally I don't think throttlestop or XTU are adequate for testing stability so I want to be able to use realbench, adia64, etc.

Also as I mentioned opening the intel graphics tray also seems to cause the problem, so there is no way to know what will and won't cause the problem.

I don't want to have to check every new piece of software or game to know if there is going to be an issue.

I'm going to set up a couple of batch files to see if I can automate the whole process.

For me that's easier as I know I shouldn't have any issues.

6 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

That's not the point at all.

Just the fact it only throttles with certain apps open means there is obviously something strange going on. Games also cause this problem too, so it's not as simple as just "not playing games or using your CPU to do anything at all"

After updating Windows, Drivers and BIOS (312).. I run CinebenchR15, I got good score.. I guess.. (I'm using FX504GE)DSC_1122.thumb.JPG.5c1a0450fa49a2ca081c004fab49c057.JPG

If I open up Cinebench and nothing else I get scores of over 800

If I have HWMonitor or CPUZ or anything like that, I only get 500 :(

(8300H)

SOLVED! :D

At least if you have Predator Sense, they just released an update where, at least if you have the laptop I have (Acer Predator Helios 500), you can adjust the power limit on your CPU!

You can set it to Standard, High or Max, I set mine to High and applied the XTU settings I've been using, ran the built in benchmark on XTU and guess what...it didn't power throttle ONE TIME!! :D:D:D

I also of course got the best score I've gotten so far, both on that benchmark and on Cinebench....praise Acer, they know what we want and they bring it! :D

No power throttling.PNG

Cinebench.PNG

PS: It also did not current throttle at all....so the problem is 100% solved using this feature on Predator Sense

Great news! I also have helios 500 and managed to undervolt it and remove power limit throttling. My problem is that XTU resets my profile values after restart. This laptop is a beast btw! I bought Asus GL504GM, and returned it 4 days later because it was thermal and power throttling to the point it was useless, both for work and for gaming. So I bought this Acer and am seriously impressed! This is one of the very few laptops on the market today that can hold max turbo clocks at full load and still be so cool! Look at the image. This is amazing! I'm testing it with a render engine that actually uses 100% of all 12 cores. Asus would fail at this test in first 5 seconds and drop cpu speed to 800MHz! Ridiculous, and this was after applying kryonaught! My question is how do I make XTU remember the settings or should I just use throttle stop? Maybe it'll work with this new Predator sense app?

IMG_20180912_225014.jpg

19 hours ago, FunKaLiTy said:

SOLVED! :D

I wouldn't quite say it was solved if the "fix" is buying a different laptop entirely.

This is still an issue on the FX504

FunKaLiTy, where did you download that version of Sense? I can't find it anywhere? Do you have I9 or I7 processor? Link please!

12 hours ago, Vela_ZG said:

FunKaLiTy, where did you download that version of Sense? I can't find it anywhere? Do you have I9 or I7 processor? Link please!

Just run Windows Update and it should update it for you, you'll be prompted to restart your computer to complete the update and I actually had to restart my computer an additional time before I could see the new features in my Predator Sense software

On 9/13/2018 at 11:25 PM, Combuh said:

Still no fix for the fx 504? damn.

What's ur problem? Power Limit throttling? Update the bios and if it didn't work, maybe bring it to the service center (the official service center of ASUS). I got mine fixed at the service center and it doesn't power limit throttle anymore.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:14 AM, laptopnoob678 said:

I wouldn't quite say it was solved if the "fix" is buying a different laptop entirely.

This is still an issue on the FX504

Nah, not on mine. Got it fixed at the ASUS' service center. Doesn't power limit throttle anymore.

3 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

What's ur problem? Power Limit throttling? Update the bios and if it didn't work, maybe bring it to the service center (the official service center of ASUS). I got mine fixed at the service center and it doesn't power limit throttle anymore.

Gotta admit, im too lazy to do that, the power limit throttling only affects some games.

5 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Nah, not on mine. Got it fixed at the ASUS' service center. Doesn't power limit throttle anymore.

You said before that you're still getting the throttling when opening hwmonitor, etc so it isn't really fixed.

Enough people/reviews are reporting this issue that it looks like affects all FX504s.

So I don't think service center will make any difference unless there are other issues at play.

If the issue is software/firmware based swapping parts won't make a difference.

As all FX504s seem to be affected if the issue is hardware based its linked to design of the laptop rather than faulty components. So doing like for like part swaps will not fix this.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:47 AM, Edgehill said:

You said before that you're still getting the throttling when opening hwmonitor, etc so it isn't really fixed.

Yeah but at least it doesn't happen anymore. It only affects if i open hwmonitor and aida64 which i won't be opening when im doing daily tasks.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:47 AM, Edgehill said:

Enough people/reviews are reporting this issue that it looks like affects all FX504s.

So I don't think service center will make any difference unless there are other issues at play.

If the issue is software/firmware based swapping parts won't make a difference.

As all FX504s seem to be affected if the issue is hardware based its linked to design of the laptop rather than faulty components. So doing like for like part swaps will not fix this.

Well, at least mine doesn't power limit throttle anymore (except when opening those apps i said above). idk what they did in the service center, whether it was parts, firmware, or both. But the power limit throttling isn't there anymore.

45 minutes ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Well, at least mine doesn't power limit throttle anymore (except when opening those apps i said above).

This is just semantics.

Having certain programs open is the only time I've seen the issue.

So if it's still doing that I don't consider it fixed.

If you count this as fixed, then we just have different usages of the word.

Like i said before I can't see how the service could make a difference unless there are also other issues at the same time.

It looks like a lot of your early screen shots have HWmonitor open, so even as it is now you would be throttling if you repeated these tests.

I have been considering purchasing the Asus FX504 with the 8750H and only recently learnt about the power throttling issues. I emailed the store and they replied that the recently released Bios version 312 addresses the throttling issue. Can anybody confirm? 

Also is the i7 8750 necessary for a gaming laptop or would the 8th gen i5 variant be sufficient?

12 hours ago, Fade_87 said:

Bios version 312 addresses the throttling issue. Can anybody confirm? 

I still get throttling with BIOS 312, but the throttling is dependant on which programs you have open.

I raised a support case with Asus regarding this.

It went to the headquarters team who have advised the power limit throttling is not abnormal and the laptop was designed this way.

@Edgehill Is this the Asus FX504 with the 8750H that you have? Would you still recommend buying the laptop or looking for  something else?

58 minutes ago, Fade_87 said:

@Edgehill Is this the Asus FX504 with the 8750H that you have?

I have the 8300H/1050 Ti version, but both the i5 & i7 have the same power throttle issue.

If you're considering the 8750H something else to think about would be the cooling.

I found that initially with the 8300H it would get hot and thermal throttle.

I was able to fix this by undervolting, but the i7 will run hotter so I can't say for definite this won't be a problem.

Hopefully someone with the i7 version might be able to clarify what thermals are like?

1 hour ago, Fade_87 said:

Would you still recommend buying the laptop or looking for  something else?

I certainly would not recommend it, but I also wouldn't say to avoid it, you just need to be aware of the issues and balance that with how you intend to use it and what price you can get.

I got a really good deal on my with cash back and trade ins, so I'm going to hang onto mine and work around the issue rather than returning it.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:36 AM, Fade_87 said:

I have been considering purchasing the Asus FX504 with the 8750H and only recently learnt about the power throttling issues. I emailed the store and they replied that the recently released Bios version 312 addresses the throttling issue. Can anybody confirm? 

Also is the i7 8750 necessary for a gaming laptop or would the 8th gen i5 variant be sufficient?

I think i5 variant should be enough, be sure to check the video card and the clockspeeds always, gaming depends a lot on these features.

6 hours ago, Fade_87 said:

@Edgehill Is this the Asus FX504 with the 8750H that you have? Would you still recommend buying the laptop or looking for  something else?

maybe acer nitro 5, I was looking at that one when the FX504 appeared