i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

3 hours ago, laptopnoob678 said:

No, it's still an issue.

Hasn't been fixed, and it never will be. If it could have been fixed, it would have by now.

It's a design flaw with the laptop.

Edit: CPU doesn't matter as well, it happens with the 8300H

To be honest, after reinstall windows and update bios to 312 i manage to get a score of 1xxx from 7xx, yes the throttle still there but has been reduced

On 8/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, FunKaLiTy said:

I seem to have an issue on my brand new Acer Predator Helios 500 where it very easily power and current throttles, at least according to XTU.

I'm a total noob at this stuff, but trying to learn how to optimize my CPU by undervolting and power boosting however I don't feel I've made much headway regarding the power throttling and current throttling.

What is actually causing the power/current throttling and what settings should I be adjusting in order to try and fix it?

These are the settings that gave me the best results so far on the built in benchmark, but it still power throttles and current throttles a lot during that short benchmarking, please advice how I should try to address this.

Undervolting.PNG

Benchmark.PNG

I managed to beat this score by increasing the Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 110 and undervolting it to -150, I got 4,01 GHz max processor frequency and 1418 Marks score, it also passed a 30 minute stress test.

I've ran Cinebench too and got a score of 1103 which looks...decent I guess.

How about the temperature at heavy load before and after you setting in the intel xtu? 

2 hours ago, aminnur said:

How about the temperature at heavy load before and after you setting in the intel xtu? 

The temperatures have gone down significantly, but that may be because I also solved another issue while researching how to undervolt.

It seems there is an issue with the service "Killer Network Services" where it makes the process named "PSAdminAgent" eat up all your RAM after a while due to some glitch making it constantly attempt restarting.
Solution to this was to go into services and find "Killer Network Services", (you'd most likely see two of them, one attempting to start and the other just running as normal) then go into it's "Properties", go to the 3rd tab there where you have those drop down menus where you can choose what it should do in the event of a failure and in the first drop down menu choose "Do nothing".

This probably did much more for the temps and overall performance than undervolting since it cleared up like 10 GB of RAM ^^

However while fiddling with this new software (XTU) I noticed that my laptop was power throttling and current throttling every so often during the benchmark test and of course that does look like a problem which I hope to find a solution for.
If I turn the settings on XTU back to default I see that the laptop is current limit throttling even during idle so undervolting certainly does help reduce current limit throttling, but I don't see any difference in the amount that it power throttles during the benchmark tests...other than getting a higher score of course, but that may be from other factors than reduced power limit throttling (such as higher power boost limit and less current limit throttling due to undervolting).

I've tried searching around a lot tho and the only "solution" I've found was a youtube clip explaining that the only way to avoid it is to severely underclock your CPU to stay at base clock frequency all the time and disable power boost technology.
Which means just completely crippling your CPU's performance....that to me is not a solution :P

I seem to remember reading somewhere that on some systems you can go into the BIOS in order to adjust the power output limit to the different components, but I would not attempt doing anything like that before I read or see a video of someone doing it first with either a similar system or preferable exactly same as I have (Acer Predator Helios 500 with the i7 8750H)

With this laptop originally it had some kind of fan control thing, but I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, and now I don't know what it was called or where to get it. Anyone know?

On 8/19/2018 at 12:58 PM, aminnur said:

Yeah the stuttering has been reduced on new bios update 312,and yep battery still draining when play games while connected to charger 

Never had my laptop draining while connected to a charger, even after hours of gaming or video editing, or just stressing it

On 8/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, Prajjawal1301 said:

Is gpu undervolting safe or does it affect the longevity of the gpu as I plan on keeping my laptop for at least 2 years. Also can you direct me where I can learn how to undervolt my gpu.

Yes it is safe, it does even more good than not undervolting it. It lowers ur temperature, increasing the lifespan

On 8/17/2018 at 8:39 PM, jammiedod93r said:

Man, I was pretty close to buying the i5 version of this laptop but after reading about these power limit issues and stuttering I'm kinda put off.

I'm guessing that none of you would recommend this laptop right?

I would definitely getting this laptop. I think it's the best value right now. Note that my problem got fixed and it runs smoothly with none of those throttling issues. If ur asking if i would recommend it with its problems, then no. But mine got fixed, and im pretty sure if u buy it now, it'll not have the problems, since i bought mine like a week after it released so it's still new and new means there could be some problems.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:53 AM, aminnur said:

To be honest, this throttling is not because of heat, but because of the powerbrick charger doesn't supply enough power to the laptop

No. It does supply enough power. Never had any problems with the power, it never drains while charging and used to play heavy games / other heavy tasks. (At least mine doesn't)

On 8/16/2018 at 5:48 PM, Combuh said:

Not for me, clocks still go down to about 2.8 when power limit throttling is active.

Complain to asus and get it fixed? (That what i did) mine runs at 3.9 Ghz 100% all cores after asking for a service at their service center.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:07 AM, Alexliemal said:

Hello guys, is the power limit issues still there after the latest bios update(Ver 312)?? Thank you :)

Mine's fixed after bios ver 310

On 8/28/2018 at 11:48 PM, Santhoshb said:

My laptop is power throttling when running on battery and thermal throttling when plugged in when rendering and playing games.

Is there any fix for this?

(The laptop is MSI GS65)

Really? Wow for that price on a laptop it throtltes? Well tbh it's kinda expected, its thin.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:54 PM, laptopnoob678 said:

No, it's still an issue.

Hasn't been fixed, and it never will be. If it could have been fixed, it would have by now.

It's a design flaw with the laptop.

Edit: CPU doesn't matter as well, it happens with the 8300H

Nah, i got mine fixed at an asus service center and now it doesn't throttle, it can run 3.9 Ghz 100% all cores.

On 9/3/2018 at 4:59 AM, laptopnoob678 said:

With this laptop originally it had some kind of fan control thing, but I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, and now I don't know what it was called or where to get it. Anyone know?

Install the keyboard hotkeys driver from fx504's website. Install it, and u should be able to control the fan with the keyboard shortcut.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:25 PM, FunKaLiTy said:

What is actually causing the power/current throttling and what settings should I be adjusting in order to try and fix it?

There is nothing u can do about it, the power limit is set by the manufacturer and u can't change it. If it reaches the limit, it'll start throttling.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:25 PM, FunKaLiTy said:

I've ran Cinebench too and got a score of 1103 which looks...decent I guess.

It's not bad, i got 1115, not just a slight difference, probably just an error. Nothing wrong with that score.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:37 PM, FunKaLiTy said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that on some systems you can go into the BIOS in order to adjust the power output limit to the different components, but I would not attempt doing anything like that before I read or see a video of someone doing it first with either a similar system or preferable exactly same as I have (Acer Predator Helios 500 with the i7 8750H)

Power limit is set by the manufacturer and u can't change it, even in the BIOS.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:37 PM, FunKaLiTy said:

I've tried searching around a lot tho and the only "solution" I've found was a youtube clip explaining that the only way to avoid it is to severely underclock your CPU to stay at base clock frequency all the time and disable power boost technology.
Which means just completely crippling your CPU's performance....that to me is not a solution :P

I fixed mine by asking it to get fixed on a service center and got the motherboard replaced. But it looks like ur cinebench scores are doing fine and if fps aren't dropping in games, u shouldn't be worried at all. One way that i have tried and worked is basically lowering the voltage until it throttles all the time, but still maintains the same clock speed, so the speed is not crippled. Keep in mind that i did that to my gpu, not my cpu.

3 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Nah, i got mine fixed at an asus service center and now it doesn't throttle, it can run 3.9 Ghz 100% all cores.

Interesting

I did email ASUS to complain, and ask if they had any intentions of fixing it, and the guy did reply saying I should open up a service repair request

I replied asking him why, if it seems to be a design flaw and not an individual issue. Let's see what he says.

also, I can't find any keyboard control on the ASUS site, where exactly is it?

I bought the i5-8300H version of the FX504 and I'm getting a similar power throttling issue.

If I have only Throttlestop or XTU open I get no throttling (TDP hitting 40W+), even running the built in benchmarks or stress tests.
However as soon as I open any of the following HWMonitor, AIDA64, RealBench I get throttling and limited to 25W TDP, this is before I even run any stress tests.
It almost seems like the throttling is triggered by the CPU being probed in a certain way.

Is anyone who has had the laptop serviced having the same issue? Are you still limited when HWMonitor, AIDA64, RealBench, etc is open?

I want to stress test my under-volt to check it's stable but the software I normally use is throttling it so it's not possible to stress properly.

i was getting throttling issues like power, current (not this asus) becasue i was stupid, well, it all fix when i go in power option and choose high performance (it was balance, and balance cause alots of throttling, even if plugged)

19 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

No. It does supply enough power. Never had any problems with the power, it never drains while charging and used to play heavy games / other heavy tasks. (At least mine doesn't)

I have tested this thing twice, charge it till full and the charge led goes white then i play some heavy games such as farcry, cod, gta and the led becomes red/orange which is the battery is not full 

21 hours ago, Edgehill said:

I bought the i5-8300H version of the FX504 and I'm getting a similar power throttling issue.

If I have only Throttlestop or XTU open I get no throttling (TDP hitting 40W+), even running the built in benchmarks or stress tests.
However as soon as I open any of the following HWMonitor, AIDA64, RealBench I get throttling and limited to 25W TDP, this is before I even run any stress tests.
It almost seems like the throttling is triggered by the CPU being probed in a certain way.

Is anyone who has had the laptop serviced having the same issue? Are you still limited when HWMonitor, AIDA64, RealBench, etc is open?

I want to stress test my under-volt to check it's stable but the software I normally use is throttling it so it's not possible to stress properly.

Just tested this and appears to be the case for me as well.

Very odd, anyone have an idea what would cause this?

On 06/09/2018 at 5:00 PM, laptopnoob678 said:

Just tested this and appears to be the case for me as well.

Very odd, anyone have an idea what would cause this?

I had another look at this today and I think I've might have got somewhere with it.

I tried a few programs to see what would cause the throttling behaviour and what wouldn't.
Realtemp did not, but CPU-Z did. So I went into the CPU-Z settings file and disabled things one by one.
It turns out at the setting with CPU-Z that was causing the throttling was "Display : disables video card information reported in the validator.", with this off CPU-Z no longer caused throttling.
I then went into the Intel graphics control panel to double check settings, but I noticed having this open also causes the throttling.

So I'm still none the wiser as to why this is happening but the problem seems to be to do with the Intel UHD 630 graphics.

The only work around I've found at the moment is disabling the UHD 630 in device manager and then restarting. For some reason this then stopped me from being able opening the Nvidia control panel.
The relevant thing seems to be starting the PC with the UHD 630 disable, if you then enable it you can access Nvidia settings but won't get the power throttling. 

I also tried the following with no luck;
1.    Updating UHD 630 driver
2.    Telling the Nvidia control panel to use the "use high performance Nvidia processor"

If anyone can think what might be causing this issue or has a fix/better work around please let me know?

tl;dr - Power throttle work around: Disable the Intel UHD 630 in device manager and restart.

3 hours ago, Edgehill said:

The only work around I've found at the moment is disabling the UHD 630 in device manager and then restarting.

Okay, just ran a 3DMark run and realised this kills the performance of the laptop.

Current work around is disabling the 630 before shut down and enabling after boot.

The above seems to stop the 25W TDP throttle and not limit the graphical performance.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:04 PM, laptopnoob678 said:

also, I can't find any keyboard control on the ASUS site, where exactly is it?

It's in the utilities, click view more.

On 9/6/2018 at 1:06 AM, Edgehill said:

Yes, idk why, i have the same issue with the i7-8750H. Well simple workaround, don't use HWmonitor, Aida64, etc. I use throttlestop to monitor my cpu which works well.