i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

18 hours ago, The Tiger said:

FX504GD-E4075

Wait. FX504GD? R u sure that's the right model? cuz GE=i7 GD=i5

19 hours ago, The Tiger said:

Just came from the service and nothing happened :( ... still is worst on gaming with a lot of stuttering, fps drop ... they doesn't found any issue on the motherboard...

I see no problems at all on your cpu and gpu benchmark scores there.

23 minutes ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Wait. FX504GD? R u sure that's the right model? cuz GE=i7 GD=i5

GE=1050ti

GD=1050

Spoiler

Asus gaming laptop naming scheme

G: CFL-H, V: KBL-H

D,E,M,S,I: 1050,1050TI,1060,1070,1080

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, Pio Soesetio said:

I see no problems at all on your cpu and gpu benchmark scores there.

Yea... the benchmark score is good, but in games... fps drops every 5 sec

Ok guys... I solved the problem! 

Apparently the CPU turboboost caused my fps drops because of high temperature. Now I disabled it and all games it's working good:D 

I've just updated my windows and i've got a BIOS update from 310 to 311 (FX504.311). Strange because on official support i don't find it.

20 hours ago, The Tiger said:

I've just updated my windows and i've got a BIOS update from 310 to 311 (FX504.311). Strange because on official support i don't find it.

yea the website is kinda outdated.

22 hours ago, The Tiger said:

Ok guys... I solved the problem! 

Apparently the CPU turboboost caused my fps drops because of high temperature. Now I disabled it and all games it's working good:D 

That's now how you solve a problem. You're just finding a workaround that way.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:09 PM, ZM Fong said:

Asus gaming laptop naming scheme

G: CFL-H, V: KBL-H

D,E,M,S,I: 1050,1050TI,1060,1070,1080

Thanks for the info.

20 hours ago, The Tiger said:

btw, thanks for telling me there's a bios update cause i usually turn off windows update.

That's now how you solve a problem. You're just finding a workaround that way.

The problem itself it's the construction of the laptop due the heat problems... is kinda a "solve problem" for games by stopping CPU booster. 

Maybe a undervolt will help, but dunno how to do that... :D so.. I will never find a stable undervoltage.

btw, thanks for telling me there's a bios update cause i usually turn off windows update.

Yea... the official support is really outdated, np. 

But what I don't know what changes was made on version 311 :-?

On 7/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, The Tiger said:

But what I don't know what changes was made on version 311 :-?

Yea I also don't know what changes, but it should be an improvement

On 7/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, The Tiger said:

The problem itself it's the construction of the laptop due the heat problems... is kinda a "solve problem" for games by stopping CPU booster. 

Maybe a undervolt will help, but dunno how to do that... :D so.. I will never find a stable undervoltage.

Disabling turbo boost will make you lose some of the cpu's performance. Undervolt on the other hand increases performance and reduces heat. Why can't u find a stable undervolt?

That's what I do too.

I do think i7-8750H is somewhat an overkill for most of the tasks including gaming, turbo boost is really not necessary.

I underclock to 2.0 GHz by reducing multiplier and everything running perfectly fine, temperature even keeping at 60°C while gaming.

And.. undervolt 0.175V is working for me, it's been running for days (but of course it would be different for everyone).

However, more than -0.2V would most likely fail

Ok... just undervolted my CPU and the score is this: 

Screenshot_9.png

10 hours ago, The Tiger said:

Ok... just undervolted my CPU and the score is this: 

<image>

that's perfectly what you should expect to see.

undervolting lowers the heat generated at no performance loss.

If you try to cook the cpu before you do cinebench, you may notice the difference.

I wonder how did you get to 1100cb though, because highest I can get is only 950 with everything set to default

3 hours ago, Neptunelav said:

I wonder how did you get to 1100cb though, because highest I can get is only 950 with everything set to default

Without undervolting I get around 860-950. With undervolt I get 1100 :D

Is there any solution to show me Fan Speed Mode (Silence/Auto/Boost) when I press the "fn + f5" ?

15 hours ago, Neptunelav said:

That's what I do too.

I do think i7-8750H is somewhat an overkill for most of the tasks including gaming, turbo boost is really not necessary.

I underclock to 2.0 GHz by reducing multiplier and everything running perfectly fine, temperature even keeping at 60°C while gaming.

And.. undervolt 0.175V is working for me, it's been running for days (but of course it would be different for everyone).

If you undervolt it in very small steps of -0.020 Volts it might work. I did this to my HP Envy and even though I don't do many intensive tasks except for some Fortnite, I reduced the temperature under load by 15-20 degrees

On 7/15/2018 at 8:07 PM, The Tiger said:

Without undervolting I get around 860-950. With undervolt I get 1100 :D

Is there any solution to show me Fan Speed Mode (Silence/Auto/Boost) when I press the "fn + f5" ?

Other than the default OSD as mentioned in Asus Keyboard Hotkeys, I cannot think of any ideas.

Even worst, little can be figured out about how the program do it.

As far as I can get is finding out the location of the program

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\B9ECED6F.ASUSKeyboardHotkeys_1.0.6.0_x86__qmba6cd70vzyy\ATK Package

Okay... I downloaded from Windows Store the app ASUS Keyboard Hotkeys. 

On 15/07/2018 at 5:09 AM, Neptunelav said:

Why underclock

On 15/07/2018 at 5:09 AM, Neptunelav said:

-0.175V is too much. Forget about -0.2V. Undervolt cache voltage first for stability.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

15 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Why underclock

-0.175V is too much. Forget about -0.2V. Undervolt cache voltage first for stability.

is -0.175V too much because of any negative effect here? because I've been using this profile for a week without running into any problem.

BTW, one thing I'm pretty upset with this laptop is lacking thunderbolt. Despite of that I'm pretty happy with everything on this notebook.

4 hours ago, Neptunelav said:

is -0.175V too much because of any negative effect here? because I've been using this profile for a week without running into any problem.

BTW, one thing I'm pretty upset with this laptop is lacking thunderbolt. Despite of that I'm pretty happy with everything on this notebook.

Yes too much, however in some rare cases it can be stable. Which program do you use for stability testing? You can't expect much for a budget gaming laptop

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Yes too much, however in some rare cases it can be stable. Which program do you use for stability testing? You can't expect much for a budget gaming laptop

intel xtu, I did a few 10 minutes run, but I tweak the cpu using throttlestop (I am concerning the interference of the two program though)

Do you suggest burning the cpu for a prolonged time? Because the cpu is actually running fine with daily work, gaming and VMs