Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pio Soesetio

i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, The Tiger said:

Just came from the service and nothing happened :( ... still is worst on gaming with a lot of stuttering, fps drop ... they doesn't found any issue on the motherboard...

I see no problems at all on your cpu and gpu benchmark scores there.

Asus gaming laptop naming scheme

G: CFL-H, V: KBL-H

D,E,M,S,I: 1050,1050TI,1060,1070,1080

Laptop recommender and enthusiast

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Lenovo Legion Y520 - no.16 most viewed review in LTT forum (as of 25/11)

Illegear Selenite Illegear Onyx Commandos Glock 5 Illegear Raven Acer Aspire 5

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

1 hour ago, Pio Soesetio said:

I see no problems at all on your cpu and gpu benchmark scores there.

Yea... the benchmark score is good, but in games... fps drops every 5 sec

Ok guys... I solved the problem! 

Apparently the CPU turboboost caused my fps drops because of high temperature. Now I disabled it and all games it's working good:D 

20 hours ago, The Tiger said:

I've just updated my windows and i've got a BIOS update from 310 to 311 (FX504.311). Strange because on official support i don't find it.

yea the website is kinda outdated.

22 hours ago, The Tiger said:

Ok guys... I solved the problem! 

Apparently the CPU turboboost caused my fps drops because of high temperature. Now I disabled it and all games it's working good:D 

That's now how you solve a problem. You're just finding a workaround that way.

20 hours ago, The Tiger said:

I've just updated my windows and i've got a BIOS update from 310 to 311 (FX504.311). Strange because on official support i don't find it.

btw, thanks for telling me there's a bios update cause i usually turn off windows update.

That's now how you solve a problem. You're just finding a workaround that way.

The problem itself it's the construction of the laptop due the heat problems... is kinda a "solve problem" for games by stopping CPU booster. 

Maybe a undervolt will help, but dunno how to do that... :D so.. I will never find a stable undervoltage.

btw, thanks for telling me there's a bios update cause i usually turn off windows update.

Yea... the official support is really outdated, np. 

But what I don't know what changes was made on version 311 :-?

On 7/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, The Tiger said:

But what I don't know what changes was made on version 311 :-?

Yea I also don't know what changes, but it should be an improvement

On 7/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, The Tiger said:

The problem itself it's the construction of the laptop due the heat problems... is kinda a "solve problem" for games by stopping CPU booster. 

Maybe a undervolt will help, but dunno how to do that... :D so.. I will never find a stable undervoltage.

Disabling turbo boost will make you lose some of the cpu's performance. Undervolt on the other hand increases performance and reduces heat. Why can't u find a stable undervolt?

That's what I do too.

I do think i7-8750H is somewhat an overkill for most of the tasks including gaming, turbo boost is really not necessary.

I underclock to 2.0 GHz by reducing multiplier and everything running perfectly fine, temperature even keeping at 60°C while gaming.

And.. undervolt 0.175V is working for me, it's been running for days (but of course it would be different for everyone).

However, more than -0.2V would most likely fail

10 hours ago, The Tiger said:

Ok... just undervolted my CPU and the score is this: 

<image>

that's perfectly what you should expect to see.

undervolting lowers the heat generated at no performance loss.

If you try to cook the cpu before you do cinebench, you may notice the difference.

I wonder how did you get to 1100cb though, because highest I can get is only 950 with everything set to default

3 hours ago, Neptunelav said:

I wonder how did you get to 1100cb though, because highest I can get is only 950 with everything set to default

Without undervolting I get around 860-950. With undervolt I get 1100 :D

Is there any solution to show me Fan Speed Mode (Silence/Auto/Boost) when I press the "fn + f5" ?

15 hours ago, Neptunelav said:

That's what I do too.

I do think i7-8750H is somewhat an overkill for most of the tasks including gaming, turbo boost is really not necessary.

I underclock to 2.0 GHz by reducing multiplier and everything running perfectly fine, temperature even keeping at 60°C while gaming.

And.. undervolt 0.175V is working for me, it's been running for days (but of course it would be different for everyone).

If you undervolt it in very small steps of -0.020 Volts it might work. I did this to my HP Envy and even though I don't do many intensive tasks except for some Fortnite, I reduced the temperature under load by 15-20 degrees

On 7/15/2018 at 8:07 PM, The Tiger said:

Without undervolting I get around 860-950. With undervolt I get 1100 :D

Is there any solution to show me Fan Speed Mode (Silence/Auto/Boost) when I press the "fn + f5" ?

Other than the default OSD as mentioned in Asus Keyboard Hotkeys, I cannot think of any ideas.

Even worst, little can be figured out about how the program do it.

As far as I can get is finding out the location of the program

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\B9ECED6F.ASUSKeyboardHotkeys_1.0.6.0_x86__qmba6cd70vzyy\ATK Package

On 15/07/2018 at 5:09 AM, Neptunelav said:

Why underclock

On 15/07/2018 at 5:09 AM, Neptunelav said:

-0.175V is too much. Forget about -0.2V. Undervolt cache voltage first for stability.

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

15 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Why underclock

-0.175V is too much. Forget about -0.2V. Undervolt cache voltage first for stability.

is -0.175V too much because of any negative effect here? because I've been using this profile for a week without running into any problem.

BTW, one thing I'm pretty upset with this laptop is lacking thunderbolt. Despite of that I'm pretty happy with everything on this notebook.

4 hours ago, Neptunelav said:

is -0.175V too much because of any negative effect here? because I've been using this profile for a week without running into any problem.

BTW, one thing I'm pretty upset with this laptop is lacking thunderbolt. Despite of that I'm pretty happy with everything on this notebook.

Yes too much, however in some rare cases it can be stable. Which program do you use for stability testing? You can't expect much for a budget gaming laptop

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Yes too much, however in some rare cases it can be stable. Which program do you use for stability testing? You can't expect much for a budget gaming laptop

intel xtu, I did a few 10 minutes run, but I tweak the cpu using throttlestop (I am concerning the interference of the two program though)

Do you suggest burning the cpu for a prolonged time? Because the cpu is actually running fine with daily work, gaming and VMs