i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

Here is a Cinebench Score, hit an all time high right now 1200+. 

Mi computer is the FX504GM-ES74, the Screen is a TN panel with very nice viewing angles not as good as those laptops with IPN but i chose this one because of its 94%NTSC for photo editing. 

About the touchpad mine is working good, sometimes the cursor does not move but i change the way my fingers touch it and works again, it only makes sounds when i click it as intended. 

cinebench.JPG

So I wanted to post an update; I sent the laptop back to amazon. Despite the fact that I was able to get the laptop the exceed 25w TDP with Prime95 and Furmark running... it still throttles in every videogame I tried! I managed to pickup one of the walmart black friday laptops, the Hp pavilion 15.6 with the exact same specs. a bit of a shame, I really like the aesthetic of the ASUS and the keyboard felt really nice, but throttling a CPU doesn to 2ghz when thermals are completely fine... is not fine. shame I had to send this back over what appears to be a software issue.

About the touchpad, mine also makes a noise, I thinks it is normal for this laptop. 

Hi. My ASUS FX504 with an Intel 8300H has the same problem. ASUS isn't getting back to me on any of the support fronts, everybody just saying they will escalate the case. Anyone here managed to fix the problem?

These are my FX504GM cinebench scores after doing a system restore to uninstall XTU. With XTU I only got 800 in Cinebench. Just a heads up to those using XTU: It may cause conflict with your Throttlestop application.  The unit throttles down to 3.6 Ghz 45w to preserve power and decrease temperature. This processor is just too power hungry for a crap laptop adapter. I think it's more of a hardware limitation than just a purely software issue.

image.thumb.png.679fdd5cbc468ab73205358ea6339672.png

On 11/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, my_6th_sense said:

Although I've read this topic I still decided to go for this laptop because of the amazing price for an i7-8750H with 16Gb of RAM.

The first thing I did when receiving it was a Cinebench test and it's scoring a good 1100 cb right out of the box with no adjustments to fan speed, underclocking,... so I guess I'm not having this throttling problem at all. 

On the downside the TN panel isn't really good (really bad viewing angle) and the trackpad is making way too much noise. The lower part of the trackpad is always moving (down) when just touching it and thats making an awfull noise. I didn't have this on my 2 current laptops (Toshiba and Lenovo). Is it normal or is there something wrong with it? 

You still might want to undervolt your CPU, you'd be probably able to hit 1245+ cb score. I had 1060cb score at first run with minor power throttling, undervolted my CPU to -165mv and I'm hitting between 1245 and 1250cb score right now. You might have a golden chip. 

Undervolted at idle, my TDP package is around 6-7W, while a friend with the same CPU and undervolt has a TDP package of 23-24W 

cpu is 8750H btw.

If Gsync isn't enabled on your laptop, you might want to consider changing your panel ($60 or so) for a Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 screen (which are actually the best ones, they can be also overclocked to 150Hz+)

On 11/26/2018 at 2:17 AM, felceaz said:

Here is a Cinebench Score, hit an all time high right now 1200+. 

Mi computer is the FX504GM-ES74, the Screen is a TN panel with very nice viewing angles not as good as those laptops with IPN but i chose this one because of its 94%NTSC for photo editing. 

About the touchpad mine is working good, sometimes the cursor does not move but i change the way my fingers touch it and works again, it only makes sounds when i click it as intended. 

cinebench.JPG

You have a golden chip too, a real few 8750h can go higher than 1250 without an unlocked bios.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, ayerly said:

You still might want to underclock your CPU, you'd be probably able to hit 1245+ cb score. I had 1060cb score at first run with minor power throttling, undervolted my CPU to -165mv and I'm hitting between 1245 and 1250cb score right now. You might have a golden chip. 

Undervolted at idle, my TDP package is around 6-7W, while a friend with the same CPU and undervolt has a TDP package of 23-24W 

cpu is 8750H btw.

If Gsync isn't enabled on your laptop, you might want to consider changing your panel ($60 or so) for a Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 screen (which are actually the best ones, they can be also overclocked to 150Hz+)

you mean undervolting right? not undeclocking... because that would be strange.

Do you have a TUF FX504? I've seen that the most you can undervolt them is -120mV, so if you have an asus tuf, how did you manage to get a stable undervolt at -165mV??

also, how can I know if Gsync is enabled on my laptop? 

thanks in advance for the answers

On 12/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, ayerly said:

You have a golden chip too, a real few 8750h can go higher than 1250 without an unlocked bios.

how can you unlock BIOS?? 

sorry if noob question

tnhks in advance

Simply! You can't :)

Guys, I want to ask you what values do you have on your undervolt?

This are mine for:

CPU Core

CPU Cache

Intel GPU

image.png.71bbed8c76bf6e6754c8acddc1f64ca0.png

image.png.35618c96644308ae158ae63b074ff872.png

And the score are this: 

image.png.0c21469e2dec834edf77504db059532f.png 

Let me know what's your setting and what score do you have.

Edited by The Tiger

On 12/6/2018 at 1:21 PM, ale fuentes said:

you mean undervolting right? not undeclocking... because that would be strange.

Do you have a TUF FX504? I've seen that the most you can undervolt them is -120mV, so if you have an asus tuf, how did you manage to get a stable undervolt at -165mV??

also, how can I know if Gsync is enabled on my laptop? 

thanks in advance for the answers

Sorry, I meant undervolt yeah. Nah, I have a MSI GP73 Leopard 8RE

On 12/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, ale fuentes said:

sorry if noob question

tnhks in advance

For the MSI GP73 Leopard, a combination of four keystrokes in a specific order, while being in the bios, will give you an access to the  "unlocked bios" with some extra menus and a lot more options.
It's still possible to unlock the bios for other models, but you will need some serious bios editing skills to achieve that.

Here is my screenshot as of 10 minutes ago : 

202mvstable.png

The bios is not unlocked, and yes I'm stable at -201mv, highest is 1251cb on a previous run with -202mv. I might be able to hit 1280+ with the bios being unlocked using specific values. This is a true golden chip.

Alright, I know this could be completely unrelated but i have the Asus TUF fx 504 and when running fortnite i receive freezes for a few seconds when i try to play, this gets annoying and sometimes even leads me to my death, anyone know whats happening?

Someone on a GE73 Raider 8RF (cpu 8750H) was able to hit 1264cb with an unlocked bios and undervolting a bit. No throttling anymore.

Stock, he was around 1040cb points and lot of throttling.

21298317.jpg

Can someone request for an unlocked bios for the FX504GM. I think that it would really help us deal with this issue.

This is not something "you can request", you have to unlock it by yourself, by extracting then editing the bios rom with specific tools, and then flashing the bios with the new modified file. There are guides and tutorials around the web, but i wouldn't advise you to do it unless you know what you are doing.

It is easier to unlock it on MSI Laptops, because it can be done so by pressing a combination of four keys in a specific order while being in the bios.

The stuttering seems to come from the 120hz panel. When connected to an external 60hz monitor, the stuttering seems to disappear. I just hope that the problem is software rather than hardware. Also, these laptops don't have Gsync.

@ayerly I mean, if someone was able to do it to their unit, he/she might as well share the information to us. I'd rather pay someone to do it rather than spend hours and hours of troubleshooting and risk a potential failure.

WTF. I was able to complete TSBench 1024 test with a -250 mV undervolt.

My Asus TUF FX504GM seems to underclock well. Still limited to 45W TDP though. 

But after turboing I was running a stable 3.6 Ghz which is respectable for a laptop :3

No crashes or freezes so far.

image.png.0e75fe3d9a8bf65f94142775656a1f06.png

On 12/6/2018 at 4:22 AM, ale fuentes said:

sorry if noob question

tnhks in advance

MSI?  Svet on MSI forums, or bios key combo (don't ask for this here.  Go find it yourself; hint: it was posted on Baidu over a year ago), or FPTW64+AMIBCP 5.02+RU (to disable bios lock in EFI to reflash modded APTIO capsule with fptw64).

Other laptops?  Good luck.

Alienware?  Not a chance.

20 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

MSI?  Svet on MSI forums, or bios key combo (don't ask for this here.  Go find it yourself; hint: it was posted on Baidu over a year ago), or FPTW64+AMIBCP 5.02+RU (to disable bios lock in EFI to reflash modded APTIO capsule with fptw64).

Other laptops?  Good luck.

Alienware?  Not a chance.

thanks for the answer, I think It will be good luck for me, I have an ASUS FX 504

So...

What should I do with this notebook? Asus FX504GM-EN049T

I got it today and games runs awful.

CPU lowers to 2.2Ghz when 100% usage, while 20% it runs at 3.9Ghz.

Return to seller? to Asus? Sell it?

ASUS just responded to my RMA request saying that the 25W TDP limit is a hardware limit and is part of the laptop. Really disappointing, I honestly feel that manufacturers should notify consumers that their performance will be hindered due to internal problems with the laptop. 

On 9/23/2018 at 2:56 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

If anyone is looking to buy FX504.

Don't.

FX505 is out, buy that instead.

I'm still looking at the FX504 top end variant (FX504GM-EN017T) because of the following reasons:

1. It comes with a 150W power adapter, unlike 130W i5 models. So, I'm assuming the power limit throttling would be non-existent there, correct me if I'm wrong.

2. It gets a better display than FX505. The top end FX504 model get a 120Hz panel with 94% NTSC and 130% sRGB color gamut where as the FX505 top end variant gets 144Hz panel with 74% NTSC and 100% sRGB color gamut. 

3. It is priced at 112.000 INR (1564 USD) but costs 85,000 INR (1187 USD) online where as the FX505 GTX1060 variant is priced at 130,000 INR (1815 USD) and there is no discount currently.

The FX505 i7 8750H and GTX 1060 variant surely has the advantage of better cooling (read more heat pipes), nano edge display, RGB keyboard, comes with 2x RAM and 2x SSD than the FX504 i7 8750 and GTX 1060 variant with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. But, the display on the FX504 is surely more color accurate and the 45,000 INR (628 USD) price difference is what makes the FX504 a better buy for me.

I'm not a hardcore gamer and I need a laptop for some photo and video editing as well. Please provide inputs if I'm making a wise decision.

Update: I'm ready to settle with a 1050ti laptop provided it has a good display and comes in the same price range.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:38 AM, TitanColosal said:

So...

What should I do with this notebook? Asus FX504GM-EN049T

I got it today and games runs awful.

CPU lowers to 2.2Ghz when 100% usage, while 20% it runs at 3.9Ghz.

Return to seller? to Asus? Sell it?

If you can, return it. Seems the best option if you are having trouble gaming in a gaming machine. Maybe you can save some extra money and get a nice price in this end-year sales.