i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

On 23/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, Pio Soesetio said:

WIth what laptop? FX504? do u have any undervolting programs like throttlestop or xtu?

Try setting the battery mode to max performance. 

You might've disabled turbo in those programs listed above.

the gm one i7 8750h gtx1060

On 9/23/2018 at 6:26 AM, Pio Soesetio said:

If anyone is looking to buy FX504.

Don't.

FX505 is out, buy that instead.

I looked at the review and the cooling seems the same, the same pipes and fans distribution, the laptop itself is even thinner...so, where is the improvement?

On 9/24/2018 at 9:14 PM, popcorn123 said:

I can't find it anywhere, seems like they haven't launched it yet.

Yes it is, if you google fx505, the first thing that comes up is the fx505 website from ASUS.

16 hours ago, ale fuentes said:

I looked at the review and the cooling seems the same, the same pipes and fans distribution, the laptop itself is even thinner...so, where is the improvement?

Thin bezel.

2 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Yes it is, if you google fx505, the first thing that comes up is the fx505 website from ASUS.

I can see it on the website, but is it actually for sale anywhere?

2 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Thin bezel.

This isn't very relevent if it still has the same throttling issues.

Do we actually know the fx505 doesn't have the same problem, to me if you decide to avoid the fx504 I would also avoid the fx505.

nothing against @Pio Soesetio, or against the 505, but it seems to me that it will have the same issues about thermals if it has the same cooling system, so I agree with @Edgehill in avoiding the 505 if you are avoiding the 504. 

I think issue is software still.

For example, a few minutes ago I wasn't using the laptop, just had a browser open with some static sites.

Suddenly, the fans kick in and it sounds like a jet engine at the other side of the room. I open HWMonitor to check the temps, and the temps are around 33-34C with little CPU utilizaiton, but the fans keep running on full for another 10 seconds or so

19 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Yes i can find official website, but no sign of availability of the laptop. Doesn't show up in search results on Amazon. It's been over a month since introduction

On 8/14/2018 at 5:43 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

Cache on -139 mV and core on - 360 mV.

I can push the cache to -155 mV but it can crash when used to render for some time.

That up there is stable, completely stable (at least for me)

what about the intel GPU? what value did you set it to?

On 9/26/2018 at 7:09 PM, laptopnoob678 said:

For example, a few minutes ago I wasn't using the laptop, just had a browser open with some static sites.

Suddenly, the fans kick in and it sounds like a jet engine at the other side of the room. I open HWMonitor to check the temps, and the temps are around 33-34C with little CPU utilizaiton, but the fans keep running on full for another 10 seconds or so

If this is software based, can it be twitched? maybe changing the temps under which fans kick in, or maybe the programs that trigger that response, idk. Maybe asus fan-control drivers just suck, 

Should've bought a g7 xD

Dell G7 - Win10 (GTX 1060 Max-Q 1,874mhz / I7 8750H 4.1ghz / 16GB 2666mhz DDR4 / 128gb SSD / 1TB HDD) overclocked and undervolted.

Cinebench Scores                            Unigine Valley Ultra Benchmark

OpenGL:    110.78 fps                       FPS: 73.6

Cpu:           1236cb                            Score: 3080

singlecore: 173cb                              Min FPS: 33.5

MP Ratio:   7.14x                               Max FPS: 151.3

1874 Mhz gpu clock

63 deg C stable

10 hours ago, DellG7 said:

Should've bought a g7 xD

Nah, in my place, the price is almost 5/4 of the tuf fx504. Plus, it's thicker and heavier.

On 9/27/2018 at 5:09 AM, laptopnoob678 said:

U turn on overboost?

Gaming is going good for me, but the CPU never boosts. It always remains in the steady 2.3GHZ base clock. Intel XTU shows occasional power limit throttling, but one thing I noticed is "Motherboard VR thermal throttling" is always high. Does anyone experience this? Mine is the 8300H w/ gtx 1050 ti model.

1 hour ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Nah, in my place, the price is almost 5/4 of the tuf fx504. Plus, it's thicker and heavier.

In my place, price is double (8/4) of the tuf 504, impossible to afford. 

29 minutes ago, SurajPai said:

Gaming is going good for me, but the CPU never boosts. It always remains in the steady 2.3GHZ base clock. Intel XTU shows occasional power limit throttling, but one thing I noticed is "Motherboard VR thermal throttling" is always high. Does anyone experience this? Mine is the 8300H w/ gtx 1050 ti model.

maybe this is something that only affects VR gaming?

Hi guys, have the Asus GL504GM with similar specs as FX504 and i'm having power throttling issues as well... Didn't really notice it on the 1st laptop before I went for a replacement due to cosmetic defect. But this replacement has serious power throttling issues which is too noticeable. 

I also had the issue where my battery actually drained while gaming, e.g. 80-90%+ even with light games CS:GO / Dota2. And at times it says 97% available (plugged but not charging)

I noticed when I set fan boost to silent my FPS is more stable. At balanced or overboost FPS had radical drops all over.

13 hours ago, SurajPai said:

Nope, never had VR thermal throttling. Are u using the silent fan profile, cause if u are, u might be experiencing it since there's not enough air hitting the vrms (just my theory)

13 hours ago, ale fuentes said:

maybe this is something that only affects VR gaming?

LOL, Motherboard VR is voltage regulator module, it controls the volt that will be delivered to the cpu.

10 hours ago, levanter said:

I noticed when I set fan boost to silent my FPS is more stable. At balanced or overboost FPS had radical drops all over.

Its because when its silent, it is throttling the whole time. making it run at low performance constantly, but when you're not using the silent mode, it is only throttling for some time, and that's what makes the fps not stable.

11 hours ago, levanter said:

Hi guys, have the Asus GL504GM with similar specs as FX504 and i'm having power throttling issues as well... Didn't really notice it on the 1st laptop before I went for a replacement due to cosmetic defect. But this replacement has serious power throttling issues which is too noticeable. 

I also had the issue where my battery actually drained while gaming, e.g. 80-90%+ even with light games CS:GO / Dota2. And at times it says 97% available (plugged but not charging)

Try complaining to ASUS.

21 minutes ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Its because when its silent, it is throttling the whole time. making it run at low performance constantly, but when you're not using the silent mode, it is only throttling for some time, and that's what makes the fps not stable.

But the thing is at silent, my FPS is still high which doesn't seem like low performance at all. In CS:GO, silent mode gives me stable FPS of 150-180. Sometimes it'll go up to 250.

With fan mode at balanced/overboost, my FPS is also around 150-250 but with FPS erratically dropping all over.

I did notice even when I set my fan to balance, during in-game sometimes the fan will auto run to overboost mode. Is there a way to set the fan fixed at balance in your FX504? 

Well I just sent my laptop for repair, was told during their test the GPU failed so they have to replace the mainboard.

I think most of the FPS drop issues are probably due to failed/poor QC GPUs for the ROG newer series.