Fan control software/hardware

Cracklingice

I've always used SpeedFan and for the most part it has worked well for me.  However, I have recently upgraded from Z68 to X99 and the fan controller in my ASRock Taichi is not doing what I need it to.  Only one of the headers on the board has any level of control in speedfan, and all I can get is 0% or 100%.  Ultimately what I need is a new physical fan controller (3 pin is fine, I don't have PWM fans yet) that has good software (or is 100% compatible with SpeedFan) that will allow me to base fan speed off of CPU temp or GPU temp.  I have a side case fan that I want to be off unless the GPU is above a certain threshold and then curve up from that threshold.  It worked wonderfully with the ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 board, but the X99 Taichi won't.  The built in fan controller and software only permit based on cpu or motherboard temp.  I can straight up hear my PC half way across the house and it's not a very pleasant tone.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  The cheaper the better.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Asrock has a tuner software that should work. I use it to control the fan curve on my x370 taichi. You can get it here. 

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99 Taichi/#Download

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Utility/A-Tuning/A-Tuning(v2.0.295).zip

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Ultimately what I need is a new physical fan controller (3 pin is fine, I don't have PWM fans yet) that has good software

To my knowledge, there is no such Fan Hub. I know the thermaltake commander FP, but it works only with PWM fans. This SATA-powered hub plugs in a Sys_Fan header on your motherboard and you can control it via BIOS or AsRock software.

5 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

The cheaper the better.

There is however a possibility, but it's not cheap. The Corsair Commander Pro is compatible with Corsair 3-pin fans such as the SP or AF series. But it's 70$... and you need corsair fans

So:
- you either get PWM fans & commander FP

or

- You get a Commander Pro and 3-pin corsair fans

If you wanna go RGB with the fans, check out my guide below!! Good luck

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Asrock has a tuner software that should work. I use it to control the fan curve on my x370 taichi. You can get it here. 

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99 Taichi/#Download

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Utility/A-Tuning/A-Tuning(v2.0.295).zip

A-Tuning is hot garbage.  I cannot control a fan based on GPU temperature.  Therefore it is useless to me.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

A-Tuning is hot garbage.  I cannot control a fan based on GPU temperature.  Therefore it is useless to me.

You could try Argus Monitor. There is a free trial with it. I cant remember if you can control fans with GPU or not. Speedfan was the only one that I remember 100% you could. Also A-tuning is not hot garbage. It just doesnt allow you to do what you need. 

https://www.argotronic.com/en/

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You could try Argus Monitor. There is a free trial with it. I cant remember if you can control fans with GPU or not. Speedfan was the only one that I remember 100% you could. Also A-tuning is not hot garbage. It just doesnt allow you to do what you need. 

https://www.argotronic.com/en/

Thanks for the suggestion to check out Argus.  Unfortunately it appears to only monitor motherboard fan speeds, not control them.

It looks like the NZXT Grid+ is what I need, but then I'd have to use CAM. :(  I am so tired of companies that want our money to make us the product.

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

Thanks for the suggestion to check out Argus.  Unfortunately it appears to only monitor motherboard fan speeds, not control them.

It looks like the NZXT Grid+ is what I need, but then I'd have to use CAM. :(  I am so tired of companies that want our money to make us the product.

it does control them. I had the trial version of it a few months back and you can setup fan curves. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

it does control them. I had the trial version of it a few months back and you can setup fan curves. 

ok then I'll take the trial and see what's up.  The website specifically says it only monitors fan speed and controls the fans on the GPUs.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

ok then I'll take the trial and see what's up.  The website specifically says it only monitors fan speed and controls the fans on the GPUs.

Yea, I dont remember 100% if you can control the case fans to run based on GPU temps or not truthfully. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Holy crap this thing puts a lot of icons in the system tray.  haha
However, that being said; it does actually work for what I wanted.  Although, I do wish I could get more than just the one side case fan to turn off entirely.  I think the motherboard is outright preventing the fans from being off.  Probably because of that calibration thing in the bios to determine the point they start spinning.  With the exception of the side intake that I only want on if the GPU is warm, the other fans I do want spinning all the time.  It's just that manual to 0% confirms that the software is controlling the fans beyond a shadow of a doubt.

6 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Holy crap this thing puts a lot of icons in the system tray.  haha
However, that being said; it does actually work for what I wanted.  Although, I do wish I could get more than just the one side case fan to turn off entirely.  I think the motherboard is outright preventing the fans from being off.  Probably because of that calibration thing in the bios to determine the point they start spinning.  With the exception of the side intake that I only want on if the GPU is warm, the other fans I do want spinning all the time.  It's just that manual to 0% confirms that the software is controlling the fans beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Yea, its a really good software from what I remember, but I honestly dont need it having full 100% water cooled system now. When I was water cooled CPU and air cooled GPU I ran Speedfan to control fan temps via GPU temps, but subsequent BIOS updates killed that ability so had to find an alternative. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig