Suggestions for improving LTT Classifieds

AlTech

Hi all,

I've got a few suggestions for improving the LTT classifieds section.

The suggestions are to add various rules or in 1 case modify an existing rule to improve the general experience of dealing with LTT Classifieds.

1. For Sale or Want To Trade posts should contain a description of the Warranty Status for each item being sold (E.g. No Manufacturer Warranty,  3 Months of Manufacturer Warranty remaining in the EU) etc.
  2. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must be able and willing to accept and process returns and refunds within 14 days of a sale/trade (or longer if the law in the seller's country requires it) OR at their discretion offer a replacement unit of said item of an equivalent quality free of charge/"Gratuis"/Gratis.
  3. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must guarantee that the item they are selling or exchanging shall function as intended for at least 30 days from the sale or exchange of the item.
  4. Users must have a minimum of 300 posts on the forum before posting a classified thread of any type.
  5. There are to be no sales of product boxes. This is not eBay.
  6. Users creating For Sale posts must disclose when an item is sold and for how much it was bought.
  7. If a seller has multiple units of the same item in stock, he/she must disclose this.

I think my suggestions will help improve the LTT classifieds experience :).

Thanks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hi all,

The suggestions are to add various rules or in 1 case modify an existing rule to improve the general experience of dealing with LTT Classifieds.

1. For Sale or Want To Trade posts should contain a description of the Warranty Status for each item being sold (E.g. No Manufacturer Warranty,  3 Months of Manufacturer Warranty remaining in the EU) etc.
  2. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must be able and willing to accept and process returns and refunds within 14 days of a sale/trade (or longer if the law in the seller's country requires it) OR at their discretion offer a replacement unit of said item of an equivalent quality free of charge/"Gratuis"/Gratis.
  3. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must guarantee that the item they are selling or exchanging shall function as intended for at least 30 days from the sale or exchange of the item.
  4. Users must have a minimum of 300 posts on the forum before posting a classified thread of any type.
  6. Users creating For Sale posts must disclose when an item is sold and for how much it was bought.
  7. If a seller has multiple units of the same item in stock, he/she must disclose this.

Thanks.

I never used the Classified section so I am not exactly sure, but if its anything like a craigslist/bazaar then I disagree with many points in this. I can see why you would want them, it definitely benefits the buyer against scams but on the other hand it would hurt the seller quite a bit if the buyer is a scammer. Not to mention that as you said "this is not an e-bay" so how would you even enforce these rules once the trade happened?

52 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hi all,

Thanks.

1. ok sure i get that people should mention how much if any warranty is left or just when it was bought at least

2. in germany at least you cant do this. privatly soled means no garantees or "bought as seen" you cant expect me to buy and ship you a new one if the 4 year old graphics card you bought from me suddenly fails

3. again yes people shouldnt sell broken stuff but if to my knowledge it worked before shipping and then it breaks within a month i cant be respnsible for that. private people dont have a warehouse of replacements to ship out.

4. ok sure i get that but posts are generated fairly easily so i doubt that would be too efffective

5. ok thats just common decency. you cant really enforce that.

6. disclaiming when an item isnt available anymore i get but i dont see how you have the right to know for how much it was sold thats between seller and buyer. this isnt ebay ;)

7. again i cant imagine how you would enforce this 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

12 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

2. in germany at least you cant do this. privatly soled means no garantees or "bought as seen" you cant expect me to buy and ship you a new one if the 4 year old graphics card you bought from me suddenly fails

Well yeah but if an item arrives in a substantially worse shape than advertised the person should be able to return it and get a refund. 

In the UK and presumably in other countries a person must accept returns within 14 days of purchase or some kind of equivalent such as a refund or exchange.

3. again yes people shouldnt sell broken stuff but if to my knowledge it worked before shipping and then it breaks within a month i cant be respnsible for that. private people dont have a warehouse of replacements to ship out.

4. ok sure i get that but posts are generated fairly easily so i doubt that would be too efffective

It would be since currently anybody with less than 100 posts can't see the classifieds section let alone post in it.

So it would just need to be adjusted to 300 if the suggestion is accepted.

5. ok thats just common decency. you cant really enforce that.

Well, mods could just delete posts which have it.

6. disclaiming when an item isnt available anymore i get but i dont see how you have the right to know for how much it was sold thats between seller and buyer.

7. again i cant imagine how you would enforce this 

Mods could randomly check the classifieds posts from time to time and if someone is found not disclosing it then they could just be not allowed to post there for a while.

47 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I never used the Classified section so I am not exactly sure, but if its anything like a craigslist/bazaar then I disagree with many points in this. I can see why you would want them, it definitely benefits the buyer against scams but on the other hand it would hurt the seller quite a bit if the buyer is a scammer. Not to mention that as you said "this is not an e-bay" so how would you even enforce these rules once the trade happened?

The only way to reliably enforce it is for people to report when rules are broken and then stop them from being able to list items for sale.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well yeah but if an item arrives in a substantially worse shape than advertised the person should be able to return it and get a refund. 

In the UK and presumably in other countries a person must accept returns within 14 days of purchase or some kind of equivalent such as a refund or exchange.

well around here everyone uses paypal so if you dont trust the person there is some buyers protection from paypal 

It would be since currently anybody with less than 100 posts can't see the classifieds section let alone post in it.

So it would just need to be adjusted to 300 if the suggestion is accepted.

oh really? i didnt even know that honestly i never really looked in there either

Well, mods could just delete posts which have it.

yeah but the point of it is that you cant really always see or know that from scammers. how would you idetify this.

Mods could randomly check the classifieds posts from time to time and if someone is found not disclosing it then they could just be not allowed to post there for a while.

expalin to me how this information is worth that much enforcement and time invested into enforcing it.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not needed. Assume there is no warranty unless explicitly stated otherwise. Up to seller if they want to provide potential extra value by mentioning this. Manufacturers may also get tricky and only give non-transferable warranty to the initial buyer, and in those cases, it would have to be clarified if the seller would be willing to handle it as a middle man. I'd rather say no warranty than have to potentially deal with that crap.

1. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must be able and willing to accept and process returns and refunds within 14 days of a sale/trade (or longer if the law in the seller's country requires it) OR at their discretion offer a replacement unit of said item of an equivalent quality free of charge/"Gratuis"/Gratis.

The EU (including UK for now) legal requirement applies to transactions between business sellers and private individuals for new products only. As far as I'm aware, this does not include private sales between individuals. If someone is selling something, they want rid of it. Any return reason other than for genuine not as described shouldn't be happening.

1. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must guarantee that the item they are selling or exchanging shall function as intended for at least 30 days from the sale or exchange of the item.

With used stuff it is generally considered "sold as is" or, the nearest practical equivalent is that it isn't DOA. If you want a warranty buy it from a dealer, not private sales. That's a contributing factor why dealers charge more. If anything I'd like to see the opposite to be defined, any alleged problems with the received item must be reported within a certain time of receipt, so it isn't left hanging indefinitely. You don't want a case where someone buys something, doesn't test it for a month then claims it never worked.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hi all,

Thanks.

1. I don't see much point of requiring that info. Its usually used bump value a bit.

2. and 3. Apart from selling something which is completely different or substantially different than advertised one should be obligated to return or get refund. Otherwise its called fraud. But giving 14-30 days? Nah. Just enough that you receive package and check its condition. Our postal service kinda allows that. Until you sign package to received you have right to refuse receiving it. In which case its send back. Ofc this only really works with stores which have some pounding reason to give you money back (called law enforcement).

4. Is this really big issue?

5. What? What problem you have if someone a) wants to sell boxes or b) someone likes to buy them? If its disclosed, who cares?

6. There's better way to do this. I get that you are looking for some reference on how much people are willing to pay for stuff. A local major tech site has rule where seller must take only offers posted in thread. Payment and shipping details can be discussed in PM. But only posts in thread should be accepted as offers.

7. I kinda understand this. But it should fall under spam ruling, like if they add more of same to thread later, or create new posts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

<snip>

1. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must be able and willing to accept and process returns and refunds within 14 days of a sale/trade (or longer if the law in the seller's country requires it) OR at their discretion offer a replacement unit of said item of an equivalent quality free of charge/"Gratuis"/Gratis.
  2. Users creating For Sale or Want To Trade posts must guarantee that the item they are selling or exchanging shall function as intended for at least 30 days from the sale or exchange of the item.
  3. Users must have a minimum of 300 posts on the forum before posting a classified thread of any type.
  4. There are to be no sales of product boxes. This is not eBay.
  5. Users creating For Sale posts must disclose when an item is sold and for how much it was bought.
  6. If a seller has multiple units of the same item in stock, he/she must disclose this.

<snip>

My 2 cents;

1. I am pretty sure this is not necessary. Limited warranties are covered for  the original owner and not generally transferable as you need proof of purchase to RMA.  

2. There is no reasonable way for this forum to enforce this.

3. This is a forum and any sale/trade is always "at-risk". and again there is no reasonable way for this forum to enforce this.

4. I can see value for increasing the post count but at this time I have seen no issue with the current requirement.

5. Cant see any reason for this. I know of people that like to buy just the box.

6. I agree that informing or updating when an item is sold. I do not agree with this. This information is the sellers or buyers prerogative to share, there is no reason to force this information.

7. If the seller has 10 items of the same and only wants to sell 2 why should he disclose this information? its counter productive for the seller and invites harassment.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

1. I am pretty sure this is not necessary. Limited warranties are covered for  the original owner and not generally transferable as you need proof of purchase to RMA. 

While this CAN be store/brand decision, most warranties only require POP. Which means copy of receipt. No name of buyer. Only if item has been registered under certain account, like with Nvidia, EVGA and NZXT. Then model number is connected to that account and only that account can request RMA. Otherwise it is transferable.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

1. This would be nice of the poster to include, but given most items won't be shipped with the original receipt, this is a long shot and should be more a reflection of a poster being thoughtful than a requirement of the forum

2. Same as above where this shouldn't be a requirement, but shows a good seller. Also impossible for the forum to enforce without getting into a whole mess of legal issues

3. Again impossible to enforce, also you want a 14 day mandatory return policy, but a mandatory 30 day guarantee, why different numbers?

4. Isn't there already a minimum requirement?

5. Why not? What's wrong with product boxes?

6. It would be NICE if the seller pulled down posts when an item was sold, but this is the sellers responsibility and again can't be easily enforced by the forum

7. I agree with @SansVarnic here that this is not necessary.

Not to say your ideas are bad, but to clarify these as more of a seller responsibility than a forum staff enforcement nightmare. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't think you could enforce this, especially across borders.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hi all,

Thanks.

1: Not so sure if that makes sense, makes it very annoying for people trying to easily list stuff

2:The item should absolutely function as described, this should only be needed if the item does not perform as functioned, not that the buyer changed his mind.

3: absolutely agree

4. agree

5.agree

6. agree

7. agree

I had recently suggested using eBay as a possible method of listing an item (simply being able to link to the item). It gives people easy secure payment methods, and gives buyer protection from a scam, gives the buyer the ability to smoothly return, ect. I think the classifieds needs some improvements/changes. As it is right its pretty tedious to try to sell something here.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]