Nvidia: No next gen graphics cards for a long time

Wh0_Am_1

Hey everyone! Nvidia has announced at Computex tonight that there will be no new GPU for a long time. This comes right after Jensen discussed the success of the GeForce cards as a distributed computing platform and the booming success of games such as PUBG and Fortnite.

So the question is, why is this happening, is Nvidia having issues or is the GTX 10 series just too successful for Nvidia to inovate?

Now Nvidia once again discussed Raytracing or Nvidia RTX , and one has to ask, how does Nvidia plan to power this because right now you apparently need 4 titan V100s 

and the Pascal generation of cards is already 2 years old, so how long can Nvidia make us wait before it starts to hurt? And when are we getting the 1180? I don't know about you guys but this is starting to get tedious.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

yay, my card keeps its value :D

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

yay, my card keeps its value :D

Yes, it certainly will.

Just now, Senzelian said:

Meh.
Maybe a good time for AMD to make a move.

This also leaves a good opening for Intel this coming year.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Probably another year, they're in no rush, AMD's only got decent GPUs right now.

Also they're probably making more money from server and deep learning hardware than consumer hardware at this point.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Probably another year, they're in no rush, AMD's only got decent GPUs right now.

Also they're probably making more money from server and deep learning hardware than consumer hardware at this point.

Yeah you are probably right.

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This also leaves a good opening for Intel this coming year.

I don't think Intel will release a gaming GPU anytime soon or did Nvidia's announcement also count for other GPUs?

Just now, Senzelian said:

I don't think Intel will release a gaming GPU anytime soon or did Nvidia's announcement also count for other GPUs?

Intel has a project lined up to launch in 2019, at least that was the last I heard on the subject.

5 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Intel has a project lined up to launch in 2019, at least that was the last I heard on the subject.

Ok, this is from Forbes

"It's no secret Intel wants to return to the dedicated GPU market, but we were previously led to believe its plan would revolve around designing a GPU for data centers. Those plans, however, will be extended to the PC gaming space to compete with the duopoly of Nvidia and AMD by the year 2020"

And as we know 2020 is not that far away.

The annoying thing is that Nvidia doesnt have to put out a new GPU in a loooooooong time. Vega 7nm probably isnt going blow people away. From what we know of Navi it is only going to perform roughly like a 1080. So at the time a mid range card like the polaris cards

Its not like we have other choices in the GPU space.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

The annoying thing is that Nvidia doesnt have to put out a new GPU in a loooooooong time. Vega 7nm probably isnt going blow people away. From what we know of Navi it is only going to perform roughly like a 1080. So at the time a mid range card like the polaris cards

Its not like we have other choices in the GPU space.

Well I guess the upside is that Nvidia will (hopefully) be prepared for the yearly crypto craze.

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well I guess the upside is that Nvidia will (hopefully) be prepared for the yearly crypto craze.

I dont think we need to worry about the GPU supply anymore with the amount on the used market. 

I think we should be worried about the power supply. Like the world power supply

they are too busy with other markets besides gaming, and let's face it there is zero competition from vega. Probably just shifted resources away from gaming when they saw vega.

honestly as someone who just upgraded to a 1080ti and if this is true then im quite happy to hold the crown for a little longer before i have to look for last gen drivers. :)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

This sucks if its true.

Also, RIP people that are waiting for new GPUs.

But hey, at least AMD has a chance to catch up now. I really hope they will because this is getting ridiculous.

Damn, you have to give it to Jenson, he's got some large balls to make that move! Personally I own 4 Nvidia cards and a Vega card. Think I stick with Nvidia unless I can get a decent second hand 1080ti. Wonder how the fans feels about this? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Looks like the Q4 window, then.

GDDR6 prices probably are higher than makes sense for a "fast as possible" release.

23 minutes ago, Kanox89 said:

This is totally something someone would say, who wants to get rid of their current stock before releasing a new product ;)

Agreed.

Look at it another way, assume nvidia wanted to release something later this year. They're not going to tell you because people will stop buying what they sell now. A non answer will leave enough doubt that those undecided will buy now. It's not entirely a bad thing either, look at the 10 series launch. The equivalent performing Pascal parts were more expensive than their Maxwell equivalents, at least to start with.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Sampsy said:

That said, in this situation you would at least expect prices to fall, yet they are still above MSRP. That would smell very fishy to me if I worked for a competition regulator. 

Don't rule out the mining factor. AMD are even higher above MSRP than nvidia's.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Hardly a surprise:

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

12 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

I'm not sure if this is anti-competitive or not. Nvidia clearly aren't releasing anything new because they are so far ahead of AMD their two year old cards still haven't been beaten by them.

It's called no competition. No company has to release new products, if there is no need then why do it. I could clean my car, I don't feel like doing it right now and no one can force me to, no one can force Nvidia to release a new architecture.

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

and the Pascal generation of cards is already 2 years old

Until AMD can actually develop a GTX 1080 Ti competitor which does not require a small power plant to run. Polaris is out of the question as it has only been refreshed with marginally higher clocks while Vega has been pushed so far on the performance-power front that it cannot scale any further.

This break is actually useful:

1. AMD has more time to work on their cards so they actually can regain some market share. NVIDIA is working mainly on Deep Learning right now with Volta's Tensor Cores, a market AMD cannot take due to the lack of CUDA support. Therefore progression on the conventional GPU front for NVIDA will be less pronounced.
  2. NVIDIA will not drop support for older generations if there isn't a new generation to take care of.
  3. As there are no efficiency improvements in the NVIDIA lineup miners will select AMD GPUs in most cases, providing financing for R&D. (A new generation could have a higher hashrate/watt, currently AMD GPUs seem the most common choice)

part of the problem might be nvidea doesn't want to be the only ones on 12nm as amd will be jumping directly to 7nm, and even if their performance isn't faster than a 1080 ti it will probably be cheaper enough to be really competitive, now if they wait this long and then release something on 12nm then amd will have a good opportunity