Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euphoria

[Chrome] How do I stop Chrome from auto switching to new tabs?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I'm trying to find how I can stop Chrome from auto switching to new tabs that are opened when clicking a link.
I've read a few posts on here and other forums about disabling "Focus existing tab on open" in Chrome://flags but these posts are a few years old and that option seems to have been renamed or removed.

Also, middle mouse click, right click open tab, and Ctrl-click do not work on many sites, so I need to find the permanent off switch for it. I enter a lot of competitions, mainly for free games and such, plus I enter these for myself, my youngest, and my nephew so I have to click multiple dozens of links each time, so switching every single time is very frustrating.

So, does anyone know the current way
 to stop auto switching to new tabs, please?

Thank you.

when I open a new tab it doesnt automatically switch me to the new tab. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Flare X 16-16-16-34 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Vengeance LPX 3000mhz | Corsair RM550x (2018) | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv 

Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2 | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

So, does anyone know the current way to stop auto switching to new tabs, please?

Install FireFox.xD

i7-6700k

Dark Rock TF

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro

Corsair LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, PNY CS2211 960GB, 850 EVO 500GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 4TB

MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 4GB Armor 2X

Antec HCG M 750W

Creative Labs Z to Home Theater

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Black

BENQ GW2765HT. Samsung S22B420BW

--------------------------------------------

i3-6100

CRYORIG - C7 

ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming

ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 

DREVO X1 PRO 128GB SSD, Barracuda 1TB, PNY - CS1211 240GB

MSI Radeon R9 390x 8GB

EVGA 750 BQ 

Thermaltake P3 White

LG - 27MP37HQ-B 27.0", LG L1952TX-SF

--------------------------------------------

G4560

MasterAir G100M RGB

Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI 

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Intel - 600p Series 256GB, WD Blue 1TB

Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD, Asus HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2

Antec HCG 620W

Corsair - Air 540

24 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

when I open a new tab it doesnt automatically switch me to the new tab. 

When you click to open a new tab or when you click a link that opens in a new tab?

Because Chrome by default switches to a new tab if it's opened by a link.

19 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Install FireFox.xD

Haha. I switched from FF when it stopped being good and/or working properly about 12-18 months ago.

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

strange, that used to be an adjustable setting. does middle-clicking on a link automatically bring you to the new tab?

Yes, middle-clicking does open a new tab and doesn't auto switch to it, but on many sites that doesn't work - either the site disallows alt-clicks or if the link triggers something on the site it won't work either.

2 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Yes, middle-clicking does open a new tab and doesn't auto switch to it, but on many sites that doesn't work - either the site disallows alt-clicks or if the link triggers something on the site it won't work either.

do you have an example page with said link? I'm suspecting it's the site itself designed to do that via javascript

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

do you have an example page with said link? I'm suspecting it's the site itself designed to do that via javascript

Gleam is one main site that springs to mind - middle and right clicking are disabled.

8 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Gleam is one main site that springs to mind - middle and right clicking are disabled.

FWIW they are all javascript "links" (actions, rather), not URL hyperlinks. web devs could code other-clicking to do something, but that's not for me to defend (because it kinda makes sense for some uses, especially web-api-based interactions ._.)