Upgrading Laptop SSD to NVMe from SATA III

I have an Asus Vivobook S15 S510UN which already has a 128GB SATA III SSD. I am planning to upgrade it to 512GB Samsung 960 Evo which is NVMe SSD.

The connector inside looks to support both NVMe as well as SATA III but I am not sure. Please help me to know if it is compatible. I have tried searching on Google but couln't find anything.

It's often fairly difficult to tell what M.2 type a laptop supports. Manufacturers are generally pretty bad at documenting it. 

Different versions of the same laptop can often support different types. I can't find any version of the S510UN with an NVMe SSD, so I would say it only supports SATA M.2 drives. 

Best way to find out is likely to phone up Asus, given them the serial number and ask if it supports M-Key NVMe drives. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's often fairly difficult to tell what M.2 type a laptop supports. Manufacturers are generally pretty bad at documenting it. 

Different versions of the same laptop can often support different types. I can't find any version of the S510UN with an NVMe SSD, so I would say it only supports SATA M.2 drives. 

Best way to find out is likely to phone up Asus, given them the serial number and ask if it supports M-Key NVMe drives. 

Tried that but they themselves are not sure. They are asking me to take it to a service center.

Edited by seq1

37 minutes ago, seq1 said:

I have an Asus Vivobook S15 S510UN which already has a 128GB SATA III SSD. I am planning to upgrade it to 512GB Samsung 960 Evo which is NVMe SSD.

The connector inside looks to support both NVMe as well as SATA III but I am not sure. Please help me to know if it is compatible. I have tried searching on Google but couln't find anything.

If it's got one notch it will support both. If it's got two then it will only support SATA.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

The slot has only one notch but the current SSD that is installed has 2 notches

26 minutes ago, seq1 said:

The slot has only one notch but the current SSD that is installed has 2 notches

Then either will work. If you can save some money I'd get a SATA one instead of PCIe (commonly referred to as NVMe). As long as you get a quality one (basically any Samsung one) it will perform pretty much identical, except with large files. If you regularly read/write gigabytes of data, then you'll want a PCIe one.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Actually the price difference is about 30% but the read/write speed is much better. That's re reason I am planning to go for the one with NVMe. I mostly work on apps for Android and iOS. I guess the NVMe one will help in creating app builds faster.

Edited by seq1

18 minutes ago, seq1 said:

Actually the price difference is about 30% but the read/write speed is much better. That's re reason I am planning to go for the one with NVMe. I mostly work on apps for Android and iOS. I guess the NVMe one will help in creating app builds faster.

It probably won't. What matters most is the random speeds, not sequential speeds. Take a look at some benchmarks in reviews. You'll see that other than the sequential speeds, all the quality SATA/PCIe drives are quite similar. You  want a drive with 20MB/s 4k read speeds at minimum. Anything above 30 is very good quality.  On another note, please quote or tag me when responding.

PS: Ignore the reviews with random 4k read speeds that are in the hundreds, they've got RAPID mode enabled which causes their RAM is being benchmarked, instead of the SSD.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It probably won't. What matters most is the random speeds, not sequential speeds. Take a look at some benchmarks in reviews. You'll see that other than the sequential speeds, all the quality SATA/PCIe drives are quite similar. You  want a drive with 20MB/s 4k read speeds at minimum. Anything above 30 is very good quality.  On another note, please quote or tag me when responding.

PS: Ignore the reviews with random 4k read speeds that are in the hundreds, they've got RAPID mode enabled which causes their RAM is being benchmarked, instead of the SSD.

Thanks a lot Joostin. This is the first time I am using this site and it has been amazing. Really prompt reply by the community.

I have placed an order for Samsung 960 Evo Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW). But based on your suggestion, I will rethink my decision and cancel the order if required.

Really thanks.

Something important I have noticed now. It is that the SSD has to be inserted upside down that means the notch which I have in the SSD slot is for B key. Based on what I have read, if the slot has a notch for B key then it supports only SATA III. There is no hope for NVMe to work.

I have cancelled my order now and will place an order for SATA III SSD.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

4 hours ago, seq1 said:

Something important I have noticed now. It is that the SSD has to be inserted upside down that means the notch which I have in the SSD slot is for B key. Based on what I have read, if the slot has a notch for B key then it supports only SATA III. There is no hope for NVMe to work.

I have cancelled my order now and will place an order for SATA III SSD.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Wow, I'm glad you found that. I didn't know B key was ever used for SSD's.