[Resolved] Since the recent Windows 10 updates my PC instantly shuts down when I load any game

Euphoria
Go to solution Solved by Euphoria,

EUREKA!! I have found the issue. Damn this is a huge weight off my mind, I was starting to think it was either my PSU dying or worse, my GPU that was failing.

The Fix:
The most simple of things... reseating the GPU, that's it. I can't narrow it down to an exact thing because obviously reseating the card meant doing a few things, but it was either: the PCI connection to the mobo or the VGA power cables from the PSU - I'm 99% sure it was the PCI connection, no idea why or how it suddenly started causing an issue but it's the only logical explanation as the VGA power cables were plugged in correctly.
Maybe some magic fairy dust had worked its way in there and was causing a short, I dunno.

My blood pressure is slowly returning to normal :)
Now to make up for all that lost gaming time.

Hey everyone, I really need some help here please as this issue is driving me f'ing crazy!

I updated Windows a couple of weeks ago and since then I cannot run any games or synthetic GPU benchmarks. They load fine to the main menus... but the second the actual game world or benchmark loads and appears on the screen within a millisecond my PC shuts down instantly like there's a power outage.

GPU:

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti

Things I've tried:

I've tried 3 different synthetic GPU benchmarks and about a dozen different games from the latest huge triple-A titles to tiny 8-bit indies, but the result is the same.

Tested games that were installed and worked fine before the Windows updates

Reinstalled the latest (397.93) Nvidia driver

Rolled back to older drivers

Run Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to wipe all Nvidia files, then installed fresh again

Updating Windows and all Visual C++ packages

Running CCleaner

Removed overclocks

Checked all temps and voltages (nothing is even close to max temps or power)

Different GPU cables

Different PSU

And probably a few other things I've forgotten.

All of the above resulted in nothing, zero, nada. I have a dedicated gaming system that cannot run any games.

Can anyone offer me some help, please, this is turning my hair grey.
Thank you

[Edit]

EUREKA!! I have found the issue. Damn this is a huge weight off my mind, I was starting to think it was either my PSU dying or worse, my GPU that was failing.

The Fix:
The most simple of things... reseating the GPU, that's it. I can't narrow it down to an exact thing because obviously reseating the card meant doing a few things, but it was either: the PCI connection to the mobo or the VGA power cables from the PSU - I'm 99% sure it was the PCI connection, no idea why or how it suddenly started causing an issue but it's the only logical explanation as the VGA power cables were plugged in correctly.
Maybe some magic fairy dust had worked its way in there and was causing a short, I dunno.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

what gpu do you have?

Oops, I wrote that info in my post but deleted by mistake, my bad.

GPU:

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

You can roll back to the previous build of Windows

image.thumb.png.f2e747e82aa5dd28396fab0bcad1bb13.png

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

3 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Oops, I wrote that info in my post but deleted by mistake, my bad.

GPU:

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti

is reinstalling Windows an option? it seems like that update broke something. 

She/Her

14 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Hey everyone, I really need some help here please as this issue is driving me f'ing crazy!

I updated Windows a couple of weeks ago and since then I cannot run any games or synthetic GPU benchmarks. They load fine to the main menus... but the second the actual game world or benchmark loads and appears on the screen within a millisecond my PC shuts down instantly like there's a power outage.

GPU:

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti

Things I've tried:

I've tried 3 different synthetic GPU benchmarks and about a dozen different games from the latest huge triple-A titles to tiny 8-bit indies, but the result is the same.

Tested games that were installed and worked fine before the Windows updates

Reinstalled the latest (397.93) Nvidia driver

Rolled back to older drivers

Run Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to wipe all Nvidia files, then installed fresh again

Updating Windows and all Visual C++ packages

Running CCleaner

Removed overclocks

Checked all temps and voltages (nothing is even close to max temps or power)

Different GPU cables

Different PSU

And probably a few other things I've forgotten.

All of the above resulted in nothing, zero, nada. I have a dedicated gaming system that cannot run any games.

Can anyone offer me some help, please, this is turning my hair grey.
Thank you

Revert to the last working update. Usually you only update if something’s broken.

Errr OK this is weird, unless it's been moved I don't have the "Go back to the previous version of Windows" option.

2 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Errr OK this is weird, unless it's been moved I don't have the "Go back to the previous version of Windows" option.

do you have a windows.old folder on your C drive?

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

do you have a windows.old folder on your C drive?

Nope.

Just now, Euphoria said:

Nope.

then it's been deleted.. i don't know how long Windows keeps old updates.. 

is reinstalling Windows an option?

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

then it's been deleted.. i don't know how long Windows keeps old updates.. 

is reinstalling Windows an option?

It's an option but a last resort for sure. It takes me a week and change to get everything back exactly as I like it (little anal/OCD)

Plus, there's no guarantee once I update Windows on the fresh OS it won't do it again.

3 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

It's an option but a last resort for sure. It takes me a week and change to get everything back exactly as I like it (little anal/OCD)

Plus, there's no guarantee once I update Windows on the fresh OS it won't do it again.

i'm pretty sure it was the update to 1803 that did it. if you redownload the iso from Microsoft and reinstall using that it will already have that update on it. 

can you try installing on a spare hdd or ssd just to see if it crashes? if not, then you know a reinstall will fix it. 

She/Her

9 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm pretty sure it was the update to 1803 that did it. if you redownload the iso from Microsoft and reinstall using that it will already have that update on it. 

can you try installing on a spare hdd or ssd just to see if it crashes? if not, then you know a reinstall will fix it. 

Good point, that might be my only option unless someone knows of something else. Damn, I only just installed a fresh OS a few months ago when I bought a new drive. I hate Micro$oft, their updates always seem to break more things than they fix.

The Fix:

2 hours ago, Euphoria said:

Go crazy my friend. Go crazy.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W