CPU power 2 needed?

So I just bought a new cpu and a motherboard. I tried yo salvage my old psu (800w gold) but with me I only have a 8 pin cpu power cable. I might have the extra cable at my parents house. but its a long trip that I have to wait a few days to take. What happens if I just connect the 8 pin and leave the +4 pin empty?

I have the R7 2700x and a msi x470 board

IMG_20180602_005604258.jpg

The extra 4 pins are for (extreme) overclocking and not needed for normal functionality IIRC.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, Est_Rain said:

So I just bought a new cpu and a motherboard. I tried yo salvage my old psu (800w gold) but with me I only have a 8 pin cpu power cable. I might have the extra cable at my parents house. but its a long trip that I have to wait a few days to take. What happens if I just connect the 8 pin and leave the +4 pin empty?

I have the R7 2700x and a msi x470 board

IMG_20180602_005604258.jpg

A single 8 pin is fine, it can push like 300 watts before it melts anyways. 

Yours faithfully

Ultimately you could probably run on one 4-pin, with absolutely no overclocking headroom. There's lots of A320 board that support this CPU and only have a 4-pin cable. 8 will be just fine.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

I also noticed tht all the squre holes don't match up. it would fit physically but most of my pin plugs aren't square but oval in one edge 

Just now, Est_Rain said:

I also noticed tht all the squre holes don't match up. it would fit physically but most of my pin plugs aren't square but oval in one edge 

The connector should go in smoothly,  i.e. no excessive force. Oval pins in square holes is not a problem if the connector fits properly. Just don't go pusing square pins in oval holes.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

6 minutes ago, tikker said:

The connector should go in smoothly,  i.e. no excessive force. Oval pins in square holes is not a problem if the connector fits properly. Just don't go pusing square pins in oval holes.

I will give it a try, I will let you know if it explodes

You only need the 8pin cpu connector.

The extra 4 pin connector is there to support extreme overclocking and even then it's not really needed. When I say extreme overclocking I mean those people who cool the processor below 0 degrees Celsius and use really high voltages and so on.

The connectors are keyed, so that you won't insert a 8 pin pci-e connector into the cpu 8 pin connector  and so on. 

The 4 pin power connector is also keyed and should normally be like half of the 8 pin cpu connector

The Ryzen processors don't use a lot of power, even when overclocked by average Joe, a single 8 pin cpu connector is more than enough to power it and have room to spare.

Now that I have everything hooked up, minus the 4 pin. It boots up fine, then freezes randomly if I do anything at all, like brows the web or download something.

Okay, after 2 hours of windows updates and many crashes later, I think its stable

But my cpu idle's at close to 60 degrees C

It has nothing to do with the power.

The new processors will function fine up to 85c, even more.

60c idle is a bit high, but could either be caused by cheap light cooler (good enough but not great) or bios may have configured cpu fan for more silent operation (don't spin too high making noise trying to keep cpu cooler than 60c if it can work safely at 60c 24/7)

• 5 months later...
On 6/2/2018 at 8:57 AM, Est_Rain said:

Okay, after 2 hours of windows updates and many crashes later, I think its stable

But my cpu idle's at close to 60 degrees C

Hey, I'm having the same freezing issue. What did you do to fix it? Nothing seems to work for me :(