Microsoft intentionally hiding Chrome from their Search Engine

Bcat00

So i was just in the middle of reformatting my sister's computer and when i got to looking for the Chrome installer on internet explorer, well guess what, it WON'T show lol

All it pops up is a bar at the top saying EDGE is the best browser and you don't need anything else, it won't even show the google page, talk about desperate much

haha lol. Just go to google.com and you should be able to find it from there. Fuck edge, man

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

So i was just in the middle of reformatting my sister's computer and when i got to looking for the Chrome installer on internet explorer, well guess what, it WON'T show lol

All it pops up is a bar at the top saying EDGE is the best browser and you don't need anything else, it won't even show the google page, talk about desperate much

Can you show us what you see? I tested in both Edge, which is my main browser, and IE, and got the below results. Make sure there isn't any crap (adware) on your sisters machine, wouldn't surprise me if her machine is swarming with it and it's interfering with results.

chrome.png

8 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

And just for what it's worth... whenever you go onto google, it'll bring this up. And even if you select "No thanks", the box comes up every time you visit the page.

Google and Microsoft both try to get you to use their browser, and out of both of these, Google's attempt is far more pervasive since it appears on the page every time and before you search for anything - whereas Bing only shows Edge if you search for another web browser.

google2.png

5 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Edge, which is my main browser

wait what

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

10 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

I download Chrome via Edge every time I put Windows 10 on a new computer, and I do that about three times a week. Not sure what you're looking at, but that hasn't been my experience.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

wait what

edge is a good browser. i'd argue that it's slower than google chrome, but if you dislike google spying on everything you do it's a good browser to use. i don't know if microsoft spying on you is any better, but that's for you to decide. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

edge is a good browser. i'd argue that it's slower than google chrome, but if you dislike google spying on everything you do it's a good browser to use. i don't know if microsoft spying on you is any better, but that's for you to decide. 

Oh fuck off, Microsoft collects more data than Google does, and if you really cared about that you'd use Firefox.

She/they 

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Lets all please not turn this thread into a browser pissing match though. I only mentioned that it was my main browser to head off anyone suggesting that the edge banner at the top was somehow unique for people who don't use it. It's a basic, targeted advert for people who search for chrome - and like I suggested before, Google's attempt to get you to download chrome just for visiting their site is far more pervasive and annoying.

Just now, Tabs said:

Lets all please not turn this thread into a browser missing match though. I only mentioned that it was my main browser to head off anyone suggesting that the edge banner at the top was somehow unique for people who don't use it. It's a basic, targeted advert for people who search for chrome - and like I suggested before, Google's attempt to get you to download chrome just for visiting their site is far more pervasive and annoying.

How so? You can just close it and then it goes away forever! Microsoft pushes Edge constantly.

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Oh fuck off, Microsoft collects more data than Google does, and if you really cared about that you'd use Firefox.

be polite please. 

and it all depends on what company you trust with your data. 

She/Her

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

How so? You can just close it and then it goes away forever! Microsoft pushes Edge constantly.

and google pushes chrome. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

If you know how to get rid of it forever, please share your secret. My screenshot from before you even said that shows that I'm logged in to my google account, and I have previously clicked "No Thanks" due to the colour of the hyperlink. If Google wanted to honour my choice they wouldn't have shown this again, but instead, it's on the page every time I go there, and that's without being targeted (i.e., related to my search, since it's there before you search for anything).

It's frustrating when people give google carte blanche when they do the same or worse as other similar companies.

Just now, Tabs said:

If you know how to get rid of it forever, please share your secret. My screenshot from before you even said that shows that I'm logged in to my google account, and I have previously clicked "No Thanks" due to the colour of the hyperlink. If Google wanted to honour my choice they wouldn't have shown this again, but instead, it's on the page every time I go there, and that's without being targeted (i.e., related to my search, since it's there before you search for anything).

It's frustrating when people give google carte blanche when they do the same or worse as other similar companies.

Back during my Firefox days it went away. I use Chrome now (faster) and obviously it's not a problem but I never saw it once I clicked "no thanks"

She/they 

Edge is a good browser, but every web on the planet is optimized for (in order) : Chrome, Firefox, Safari  and then everything else including IE / Edge (if the programmer have some spare time).

IE is notoriously hard to debug, i myself usually just ignore it and put a popup to recommend the user to use Chrome or Firefox.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Edge is a good browser

image.jpeg.64239b9b381878b0cadad023fca9f1ca.jpeg

She/they 

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Edge is a good browser, but every web on the planet is optimized for (in order) : Chrome, Firefox, Safari  and then everything else including IE / Edge (if the programmer have some spare time).

slight correction there, i think you mean chromium in first place (which is the open-source version of google chrome, and what browsers like Opera are based on)

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

@orbitalbuzzsaw plz stop, you're not helping. 

Just leaving this here

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-browser-internet-explorer-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari-vs-edge/

She/they 

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

chrom and chromium is a huge difference. Had to call the aliexpress support just to tell me that there website is only working in chorme and not in IE, Opera or Vivaldi. And guess what? after installing chrome it worked.

that's because Chromium is open source. it doesn't have some proprietary stuff in it that Google Chrome does. but the rendering engine is the same. 

She/Her

you don't have enough RAM to download the installer

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

that's because Chromium is open source. it doesn't have some proprietary stuff in it that Google Chrome does. but the rendering engine is the same. 

Exactly, Chrome/ium has the best rendering engine. Therefore it is the best.

She/they 

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

chrom and chromium is a huge difference. Had to call the aliexpress support just to tell me that there website is only working in chorme and not in IE, Opera or Vivaldi. And guess what? after installing chrome it worked.

Do you know any other sites that don't work outside of Chrome? Or, specifically, do you (or anyone else) know any sites that are actually broken in Edge? It's been my sole browser on my desktop pc since August of last year, and I haven't encountered a single site that was broken in it, but I would genuinely like to know if any of you know of any. 

I had an experience with Corsair Support earlier last month where their payment processor only worked in Internet Explorer, and was broken in Edge, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. But that seems to be a bit of a different situation, since the site still worked identically in all apart from the payment processor.

Just now, Tabs said:

Do you know any other sites that don't work outside of Chrome? Or, specifically, do you (or anyone else) know any sites that are actually broken in Edge? It's been my sole browser on my desktop pc since August of last year, and I haven't encountered a single site that was broken in it, but I would genuinely like to know if any of you know of any. 

I had an experience with Corsair Support earlier last month where their payment processor only worked in Internet Explorer, and was broken in Edge, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. But that seems to be a bit of a different situation, since the site still worked identically in all apart from the payment processor.

I've had some school-related stuff only work in Firefox of all things for some reason.

She/they 

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Do you know any other sites that don't work outside of Chrome? Or, specifically, do you (or anyone else) know any sites that are actually broken in Edge?. 

technically not broken, but glitchy: this forum. scroll up and down really fast and the top bar starts flashing. at least that's what my laptop did about a month ago. 

i made a topic about it then: 

She/Her