60°C IDLE with R1 Ultimate

S h u r i k e n
Go to solution Solved by Tabs,
7 minutes ago, kerbalstuff said:

60°C was at OC settings above - idled at about 45° stock.

Yes, speedstep is enabled, all cores drop to ~800mhz when not in use

Also, I just noticed - you shouldn't set a static voltage (using core voltage), you should apply an offset. If you apply a static voltage it prevents downvolting when EIST is enabled, which will definitely be affecting your idle temps.

If you know your chips VID, just assign an offset to get the voltage you desire, and it'll only apply under load.

Hi,

I have an i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz 1.35v with an R1 Ultimate on top. (as per signature)

Under idle load, it runs at ~55 - 60°C and then when benchmarked, i get these results:

Cinebench: 1599, max temp 98°C 

Realbench: 169467, max temp 100°C (thermal throttled)

XTU Benchmark: 2376, max temp 100°C (thermal throttled)

All fans were set to 100% for these tests - 6 Fractal Design X2 GP-14s (3 Intake, 3 Exhaust)

This is inside a Fractal R6 btw, with the door open.

I have ensured the cooler is mounted properly

I have ensured thermal paste application is sufficient (and added more - I'm using the CP7 that came with the cooler)

Is this normal for an 8700K?

Have I just lost the silicon lottery?

Do I need to de-lid and liquid metal it?

Attached are settings in IXTU.

XTU Core Clocks.PNG

XTU Cache Clocks.PNG

i7 8700k @ 5.0Ghz | ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming | Cryorig R1 Ultimate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 8GB (A8G) | WD Black 500GB PCIe NVMe | Samsung 750 EVO 120GB | Western Digital Black Series 1TB | Fractal Design Define R6 TG | Corsair RM750x

"Everyone says that I'm incredibly unlucky at the Silicon Lottery. In truth, I just persist in believing that 106°C is an acceptable temperature."

- Me, 2018

how much thermal paste did you apply? did you squeeze out the whole tube? at some point, it will stop transferring heat but act as an insulator.

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

@kerbalstuff

to be honest 4.8ghz at 1.35v means you really lost the silicon lottery, but you shouldn't idle at 60C, you probably haven't installed the cooler correctly, but don't be fooled i think you'll hit 99c and thermal throttle even if that cooler is seated properly.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, ricksteendam1 said:

how much thermal paste did you apply? did you squeeze out the whole tube? at some point, it will stop transferring heat but act as an insulator.

1st application - enough so that when i then took the cooler off after mounting it, it was nicely covering all of the heat spreader. The second time, i literally added the tiniest bit extra.

i7 8700k @ 5.0Ghz | ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming | Cryorig R1 Ultimate | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 8GB (A8G) | WD Black 500GB PCIe NVMe | Samsung 750 EVO 120GB | Western Digital Black Series 1TB | Fractal Design Define R6 TG | Corsair RM750x

"Everyone says that I'm incredibly unlucky at the Silicon Lottery. In truth, I just persist in believing that 106°C is an acceptable temperature."

- Me, 2018

1 minute ago, kerbalstuff said:

1st application - enough so that when i then took the cooler off after mounting it, it was nicely covering all of the heat spreader. The second time, i literally added the tiniest bit extra.

so it had the size of rice? in that case, you lost the lottery man. 

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

Did you take the plastic film off of the base of the cooler before you mounted it? 

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Yeah check your cooler, My 8700K hits 5Ghz @1.35V at 75C under full synthetic load with a H100iV2

@kerbalstuff In addition to all the other advice listed here about checking your heatsink mounting, I'd ask if you have tried lower volts - was 1.35 the lowest voltage you could get 4.8 at? Is 4.7 stable at much lower volts?

A delid will definitely help with your temps, but only if your mount has been confirmed good. It probably won't be worth it if you can dramatically reduce your volts with a small reduction in core speed. 

25 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Did you take the plastic film off of the base of the cooler before you mounted it? 

yes................. this isn't my first pc

- Me, 2018

10 minutes ago, kerbalstuff said:

yes................. this isn't my first pc

Ok, when you got the 60C idle temp, was the CPU at stock clocks and voltage, or was it overclocked to the specs above? Also, have you enabled Intel Speedstep in the BIOS so that the CPU doesn't have to run at full speed all the time?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

@Tabs 

I can get 4.7 at stock voltage, 4.8 isnt 100% stable at stock voltage   

I haven't found the lowest stable voltage for 4.8 yet - will do

I have already checked to see if contact is being made properly outside of case - viewing upwards from PCIe ports , cooler is defo making 100% contact.

Only concern however is that the backplate has a little wiggle to it - it's only attached by thumbscrews. The manual said this wiggle was normal, presumably to stop stress on the mobo. The cooler does sag slightly (only by about 1mm) - could this be the cause???

- Me, 2018

3 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Ok, when you got the 60C idle temp, was the CPU at stock clocks and voltage, or was it overclocked to the specs above? Also, have you enable Intel Speedstep in the BIOS so that the CPU doesn't have to run at full speed all the time?

- Me, 2018

7 minutes ago, kerbalstuff said:

Also, I just noticed - you shouldn't set a static voltage (using core voltage), you should apply an offset. If you apply a static voltage it prevents downvolting when EIST is enabled, which will definitely be affecting your idle temps.

If you know your chips VID, just assign an offset to get the voltage you desire, and it'll only apply under load.

@Tabs Whats the difference between voltage offset and just plain voltage control?

- Me, 2018

15 minutes ago, kerbalstuff said:

@Tabs Whats the difference between voltage offset and just plain voltage control?

Voltage offset only applies under load when the chip is running at its highest performance mode. A static, fixed voltage affects voltages at all times.

4 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Voltage offset only applies under load when the chip is running at its highest performance mode. A static, fixed voltage affects voltages at all times.

So just set core voltage offset to 1.35?

- Me, 2018

39 minutes ago, kerbalstuff said:

So just set core voltage offset to 1.35?

No, absolutely not. The offset is an increase or decrease versus the *normal* voltage for your chip. You must find out the normal voltage your chip runs at before you set an offset or you can kill your cpu with too much voltage.

For example, if your chip has a VID (normal voltage) of 1.2, and you want 1.35, you would offset the voltage by +150mV. You can't properly set an offset until you find your chips normal voltage.

@Tabs According to HWMonitor, the Minimum VID reading (on all cores) is 0.625 V - so I change Core voltage offset to 725 mV to aim for 1.35V ?

- Me, 2018

Thanks for all your help - Fixed by adjusting core voltage offset +0.050V 

Idle temps are comfortable in mid 30's and full load is in the high 70's

- Me, 2018