Why is EVERYONE Buying this TV??

James

Buy TCL 55S405 on Amazon: http://geni.us/yhD9U
Buy TCL 55S405 on Newegg: http://geni.us/vkT2d

What’s the best 4K TV for the money? 2,500 Amazon reviews can’t be wrong: this 55” flat screen TV from TCL is only $400 and comes with Roku built in!

I actually have one of these TVs. It's very very good. Could use another HDMI port though, but that's easy enough to fix with a switcher, even if it's not the most elegant solution.

I really like this "Why Is Everyone Buying This?" series.  I started watching LTT to help with purchasing decisions, so reviewing the product on Amazon in a given category that I'm most likely already considering is a great way to recapture that old useful magic.  (I say "recapture" because your videos today are more than just grabbing an interesting-looking thing off the NCIX shelves and tearing it open, for better and for worse.)  

One thing not mentioned in the video is that the TV advertises to you in the menus. For example right now I have an ad for DirectTV Now on the input page, and two new menu options from fandango about renting movies and tv shows. Additionally, the "Smart TV Experience" is enabled by default. This gathers information about what you watch and when you watch it, including data from antenna, streaming channels, and other devices connected to the TV, and sends it to Roku, which could be shared with third parties. Also enabled by default is the option to use info from TV inputs to personalize ads. You can disable Smart TV Experience and TV input info from the menus, and you can limit ad tracking in the menus, but not completely disable it. Guess this is the price of nice cheap 4k TVs.

I'm familiar with these. They're better than bottom of the barrel tvs, but they're still fairly crap.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I'm familiar with these. They're better than bottom of the barrel tvs, but they're still fairly crap.

Yeah.....but it's popular crap. So, buy buy buy. 

Spoiler

I just bought twelve....I don't need any, but everyone's buying, and I didn't want to miss out.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

it's popular crap.

I feel like this is setting me up for something.

Something about bashing a product line from a company stupidly named after a fruit.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

So, buy buy buy. 

Of the stupid but popular things I could do, I'd rather eat a Tide pod.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I feel like this is setting me up for something.

Something about bashing a product line from a company stupidly named after a fruit.

Blackberry? People still buy blackberries?

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Of the stupid but popular things I could do, I'd rather eat a Tide pod.

When I was a kid I really wanted to eat the bugs that timone and pumba were eating.....then I turned 3.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

No, don't be stupid.

Papaya Studio.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

When I was a kid I really wanted to eat the bugs that timone and pumba were eating.....then I turned 3.

All y'all humans always fascinate me.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 01/06/2018 at 10:21 AM, Canada EH said:

Please come up with an original title and stop using EVERYONE.

PLEASE!

Why is all you'se buying this TV?

Better?

hi.

i don't even trust korean quality, going TLC would be insane. Good i guess if you're that type that needs a new tv every 3/4 years

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

People still buy blackberries...

I personally don't care for them but some still do.

blackberry.jpg

You'd have to be "very" special to name your brand/company after a fruit...

*Waits for Apple fanboys to attack me*

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

People still buy blackberries...

I personally don't care for them but some still do.

blackberry.jpg

You'd have to be "very" special to name your brand/company after a fruit...

*Waits for Apple fanboys to attack me*

Idk man, my Potato Inc. will soon provide budget phones for everyone in the world.

I was thinking of snagging one of these for the office, the 55S517.  The built in ruko seems convenient and on paper they seem like decent TVs.  Buying screens online can be a crap shoot and it's still one of the only purchases I prefer to do locally, easier returns.

I'm wondering when these will be popular enough to see them popping up in Target or Best Buy...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

I was thinking of snagging one of these for the office, the 55S517.  The built in ruko seems convenient and on paper they seem like decent TVs.  Buying screens online can be a crap shoot and it's still one of the only purchases I prefer to do locally, easier returns.

I'm wondering when these will be popular enough to see them popping up in Target or Best Buy...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl/tcl-tvs/pcmcat1526935930973.c?id=pcmcat1526935930973

Didn't see it in canada yet but VIZIO and RCA seem to be rebrands of TLC TV's for about the same price.

1 hour ago, NMS said:

Idk man, my Potato Inc. will soon provide budget phones for everyone in the world.

I'm guessing it is running on the latest 8nm potato chip? I hope Linus gets a free sample to review :)

It is a good TV for its size range, expecialy the smaller sizes.

The problem with TV's currently is the best picture quality LCD's are not only big at 55" or above, they also cost to much.

Once you hit 55" and ~£1300, u can get an OLED, and to be frank, u'd have to be a colossal anus to buy a LCD at that price or higher over an OLED.

Around the 40" range however the quality of LCD's tops out at the kinda quality you see from that TCL screen and Samsungs MU/NU series.

They are great as a budget TVs, infact its the kinda TV i would consider buying if my Plasma went pop , to tide me over untill smaller OLED's arive.

So im not suprised to see them as the best sellers. they are a realistic size for your average joe blogs front room, and a reasonable price for the quality.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

now I'm really split between Xiaomi Mi TV, Topcon, TCL and Hisense...

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl/tcl-tvs/pcmcat1526935930973.c?id=pcmcat1526935930973

Didn't see it in canada yet but VIZIO and RCA seem to be rebrands of TLC TV's for about the same price.

I'm guessing it is running on the latest 8nm potato chip? I hope Linus gets a free sample to review :)

Source for Vizio being rebrands?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Source for vision being rebrands?

I'm not saying they are I'm saying they look like they might be. The similarities are too much, I know RCA sources out more often than not now instead of making their own stuff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/technolog/vizio-drops-no-1-no-3-hdtvs-bleaker-prospects-ahead-664163

Only thing VIZIO claims to have is 120hz, besides afaik most people who don't game or watch high fps video won't really benefit from 120hz. In other words if you only use the TV for Movies, Cable, Streaming, etc but no gaming 60hz is fine.

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I'm not saying they are I'm saying they look like they might be. The similarities are too much, I know RCA sources out more often than not now instead of making their own stuff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/technolog/vizio-drops-no-1-no-3-hdtvs-bleaker-prospects-ahead-664163

Only thing VIZIO claims to have is 120hz, besides afaik most people who don't game or watch high fps video won't really benefit from 120hz. In other words if you only use the TV for Movies, Cable, Streaming, etc but no gaming 60hz is fine.

MOST 120hz TVs aren't actually 120hz but rather just interpolated 120hz. But 120hz is actually beneficial even for movies due to being an even multiple 24.

That being said, Vizio makes solid TVs that I'd have no problem buying. I'd be willing to bet that TCL (like RCA, Westinghouse, and Insignia) make garbage.

Also, using an article from 6 years ago says nothing about today. Look up thorough reviews (rtings.com for example) if you want to compare TVs -- in which case Vizio TVs are quite good. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 hours ago, NMS said:

POTATO IS A LEGUME, NOT A FRUIT.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

20 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Please come up with an original title and stop using EVERYONE.

PLEASE!

True. If everyone had one, I would have one and I do not. Of course, if Linus want to buy one for all of us who do not have one so his statement will be true...

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 31/05/2018 at 4:18 PM, LordOTaco said:

Because its 400 dollars...

400 dollars to watch the kardashians and superhero movies, eww

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB