Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1) down?

Spork829

Just now I couldn't connect to anything on my main pc, but everything else on the network was still working. It occurred to me that I had changed this machine to that newfangled DNS server LTT made a video about a while ago. I changed it back to Google DNS and things are working. Interesting.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

same, I switched back to auto dns and everything is fine now. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Just now I couldn't connect to anything on my main pc, but everything else on the network was still working. It occurred to me that I had changed this machine to that newfangled DNS server LTT made a video about a while ago. I changed it back to Google DNS and things are working. Interesting.

I couldn't connect to any dns servers - no dns traffic was being received at all - but routing was still working properly using IP addresses. I was on Cloudflare, changed to Google with a /flushdns, and then changed to OpenDNS - all had zero response. Even rebooted my machine and tried on my mac (which has never used Cloudflare or OpenDNS, only Google DNS), no effect.

Rebooted my router and I'm now on a different route and have full access to dns again.

Some weird sinkholing of popular DNS server traffic? Even a few seconds of that would give someone wide-ranging insight into the browsing habits of millions of people.

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

I couldn't connect to any dns servers - no dns traffic was being received at all - but routing was still working properly using IP addresses. I was on Cloudflare, changed to Google with a /flushdns, and then changed to OpenDNS - all had zero response. Even rebooted my machine and tried on my mac (which has never used Cloudflare or OpenDNS, only Google DNS), no effect.

Rebooted my router and I'm now on a different route and have full access to dns again.

Some weird sinkholing of popular DNS server traffic? Even a few seconds of that would give someone wide-ranging insight into the browsing habits of millions of people.

Yeah, that's really strange. I was able to just swap over and reboot without any issues.

Just now, NoobCase said:

Seems to be back up. Back on wifi on the phone.

That was crazy fast. Looking at the status page, their reports of DNS timeouts and them implementing a fix are a minute apart... 0_0

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yeah, that's really strange. I was able to just swap over and reboot without any issues.

I did a traceroute to 1.1.1.1 (Primary Cloudflare public DNS), 8.8.8.8 (Primary Google public DNS) and 208.67.222.222 (Primary OpenDNS public DNS), and the routes before I rebooted my router and after I rebooted my router were completely different.

I really wish I had kept the output now, I rebooted my machine after running those tests but before restarting my router. It would have proven interesting.

If you've changed it in Windows, you could've just set the primary DNS as 1.1.1.1 and the alternative DNS as the one from your ISP instead of using both the cloudflare DNS.

That way if it ever goes down, you at least won't be losing your network connection.
(Or better yet, straight in your router, where you can generally input more than two static DNS, I can do three on DD-WRT, which are 1.0.0.1 (cloudflare), 8.8.8.8(google) and my ISP's)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

If you've changed it in Windows, you could've just set the primary DNS as 1.1.1.1 and the alternative DNS as the one from your ISP instead of using both the cloudflare DNS.

That way if it ever goes down, you at least won't be losing your network connection.
(Or better yet, straight in your router, where you can generally input more than two static DNS, I can do three on DD-WRT, which are 1.0.0.1 (cloudflare), 8.8.8.8(google) and my ISP's)

Good idea, I should probably set it on the router as well

40 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

That's what I did on my router ; cloudflare DNS, then Google, then my ISP

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !