ASUS made a mining motherboard that supports up to 20 GPUs

Not sure if this is even relevant or interesting, as there have been other mining motherboards. Just thought it might warrant a thread because it uses a USB interface (still PCIe) and is apparently more optimized for mining and user friendly. I'm definitely not into cryptocurrency and I want my GPUs for MSRP. It's been better recently, I wonder what effect (if any at all) this might have on mining and GPU supply.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/30/17408610/asus-crypto-mining-motherboard-gpus

h370_mining_master_board.0.jpg

h370_mining_master_statedetection.jpg

Asus’ approach here is going to make maintenance easier, ensure fewer PCIe disconnects, and more accurate diagnostics. This is a better format than just plugging in graphics cards to the motherboard via PCIe, like you would in a gaming desktop, the company says.

The H370 mining motherboard is so focused on optimizing crypto mining that it includes tweaks specific to GPU-based data crunching by default. It’s a State Detection graphical user interface that identifies the location and status of each port (seen above) and assigns alphanumeric codes for easy identification.

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

it's still PCIe. everything goes over a wire. you could run any signal over dumb cable standards like USB-A/B or even HDMI (not accounting for sheilding requirements).

in case people start thinking it's possible to use PCIe and USB interchangably ._.

Sorry I meant the interface is USB. Good looking out. I'll edit. 

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

it's still PCIe. everything goes over a wire. you could run any signal over dumb cable standards like USB-A/B or even HDMI (not accounting for sheilding requirements).

in case people start thinking it's possible to use PCIe and USB interchangably ._.

Are you saying that USB is dumb, or are you talking about how it has no USB logic on it?

That USB is really questionable for the durability.

If that's broken you end up with unused port.

I'd rather replacing the USB PCI adapter for $1 than having 1 unused port.

8 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

I agree, but you could have a pci-e port go wrong same as USB though anyway, so no difference in the end, unless USB ports/controllers are more prone to hardware faults than pci-e?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

Cause it's so damn easy to switch out a broken pcie port?

Also space is an issue, even with pcie 1x

And it's much more convenient when it comes to adapters.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

29 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I agree, but you could have a pci-e port go wrong same as USB though anyway

You can't insert pcie x1 the wrong way, it's either go in or won't go in.

18 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

Cause it's so damn easy to switch out a broken pcie port?

The question is how could you broke it in the first place?

That person either an idiot, or very strong to damage pcie x1 port physically.

and the space issue has been resolved with b250

boardalt1.jpg

Personally, I've seen to many broken USB ports because human error rather than broken pcie port, even my wife has broken some usb ports.

5 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

The question is how could you broke it in the first place?

That person either an idiot, or very strong to damage pcie x1 port physically.

and the space issue has been resolved with b250

boardalt1.jpg

Personally, I've seen to many broken USB ports because human error rather than broken pcie port, even my wife has broken some usb ports.

It's not like you're pluging in a usb cable for a gpu about...1 or 2 times a year?

You're making it such a biggie when in reality it's nothing to be worried about.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

1 minute ago, Kukielka said:

It's not like you're pluging in a usb cable for a gpu about...1 or 2 times a year?

You're making it such a biggie when in reality it's nothing to be worried about.

Isn't that exactly my point?

it's not the amount how many times you plug it in.

It only take 1 screw up and you end up with useless port and don't have option to replace it.

It's fine to have 1 less usb port for regular computer since it can be extend with usb hub, but not mining board.

9 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

Usb port is easier to fix than a PCI lane connector. Why would it break if using for mining? Why would it break more than a PCI version?

3 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

It only take 1 screw up and you end up with useless port and don't have option to replace it.

It's fine to have 1 less usb port for regular computer since it can be extend with usb hub, but not mining board.

Do you have the option to replace a pcie slot?

Also: I've seen a single broken usb port so far in my entire life, not sure what you are doing to your devices, a broken port is not common.

Yeah, and a broken internal port? I've never seen one of those. Most if not all broken external ports are due to dropping something, pushing/leaning on the port.

Internally you are plugging in/unplugging, then putting the case back (or in mining, putting back on a jig/rig/rack and *leaving it alone*). Risk of breaking is the same as a PCIe slot.

It's like those people who say "Android phones break all the time", when people are giving Android phones to 3 years olds, and Apple phones to Grannys, and when the Granny drops the Apple phone after 3 years it shatters... but the 3 year old put the Android phone in the trash compactor after 2 weeks and "Android phones suck they only last 2 weeks!!!". ;) 

3 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

USB ports breaking is actually down to continued use, making the port weak, resulting in a break eventually. Youre nott going to break a USB port from one use.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Yeah, and a broken internal port? I've never seen one of those. Most if not all broken external ports are due to dropping something, pushing/leaning on the port.

Non-techies are surprisingly good at breaking internal USB-ports from my experience. From forcing a flash drive in to the port the wrong way, to tripping over connected cables or dropping laptops on the side. 

Im curious what else a board like this could be used for. Maybe not this board, but the one with the 15 pci E connectors or whatever it was. 

I kinda wanna buy one of these to play around with. I can't imagine anything coming of it but it would be an interesting project. 

9 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

I never said you could insert pci-e the wrong way. I said that pci-e ports can go wrong, as in become broken/defective the same as USB ports can.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 hours ago, corsairian said:

Im curious what else a board like this could be used for. Maybe not this board, but the one with the 15 pci E connectors or whatever it was. 

I kinda wanna buy one of these to play around with. I can't imagine anything coming of it but it would be an interesting project. 

File server with lots of drives.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, corsairian said:

That is probably a $400 toy to play around with.

Be better just to mine with it and profit!

17 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Non-techies are surprisingly good at breaking internal USB-ports from my experience. From forcing a flash drive in to the port the wrong way, to tripping over connected cables or dropping laptops on the side. 

Likewise with PCI slots. I've seen ebay boards (asking full price, but that's a different problem) with an entire PCIe slot ripped off and the pins sticking out/bent without any plastic. :P

24 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

it could be argued that anyone buying or operating boards like these isn't tech challenged ._.

With all the hype around Crypto I see possibility for some tech challenged people with a bit too much money on the hand buying one of these. But yeah 99,99% of these boards will probably be in safe hands. 

I like that circle design around the socket.

That's pretty neat.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I bet asrock seen this and already started working on a 21 GPUs motherboard :D they are that crazy. 

On 5/31/2018 at 7:56 AM, Blebekblebek said:

being how little you'll have to plug in/unplug things from these... and they are USB A ports which are arguably the hardest to break...

I'm gonna say... just don't screw up! Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1