Best build for 4K Gaming?

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
23 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

wait what its cheaper? tf it wasnt cheaper a day ago!!

On PCPP armor is cheapest at $750 and the amp is at $785 along with the others.

20 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

also i dont care how loud it is, i just dont want it fucking not working in a year or so bcuz of heat issues. (that happend to my laptops dedicated gpu :I)

If you run the armor at max fan speeds it should be OK at stock, which will be like 1800 mhz in games. You might lose out on 5-10% extra FPS you could get with ocing on a better cooler.

The difference is only $35 compared to a $750 card though.... A drop in the bucket if you ask me.

As ive seen that the armor gtx 1080 ti has a 1070 cooler.

So i have an option with going for an amp GTX 1080 ti with an i5-8600 OR an armor gtx 1080 ti with an i5-8600K 

What is better?

1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

Hey Alex, I'm Alex

I'd go with the MSI Armor

Instead of an unlocked I5, maybe go for the locked I7 8700?

I've had terrible experiences with ZOTAC and their warranty return process. 

Hey Alex! Im alex too!

Okay so armor and an i7? Dude its really expensive. And i can go with anything in the price range of gtx 1080 ti amp. So a turbo or anything for the price range.

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

For 4K gaming, you'll probably want an 8700K and a 1080Ti...

Why an 8700k? A 1080 Ti is going to bottleneck it so bad that you could use an i3-8100 and have about the same performance.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why an 8700k? A 1080 Ti is going to bottleneck it so bad that you could use an i3-8100 and have about the same performance.

oooo xd.

8 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Hey Alex, I'm Alex

I'd go with the MSI Armor

Instead of an unlocked I5, maybe go for the locked I7 8700?

I've had terrible experiences with ZOTAC and their warranty return process. 

you have 1335$. KO yourself out!

8 hours ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

the cpu is the same, i5 -8400. The gpu is a 1080 ti but the 850$ version. The motherboard is a 2 slot 32GB mobo. And the ram is 2400 mghz for 5 dollars cheaper? I meant the same with my build if you didnt get what i mean.

I thought you meant the same as my previous one. It's similar to yours, but there were reasons for picking the different parts. It's a better power supply, a different chipset on the motherboard, cheaper RAM (the frequency makes a very small difference with Intel, and probably none at 4k), and a higher quality hard drive.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I thought you meant the same as my previous one. It's similar to yours, but there were reasons for picking the different parts. It's a better power supply, a different chipset on the motherboard, cheaper RAM (the frequency makes a very small difference with Intel, and probably none at 4k), and a higher quality hard drive.

okay but both of the psu's are gold rated, hows yours better?

2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

okay but both of the psu's are gold rated, hows yours better?

That's just the efficiency. There are a lot of factors that go into power supply quality. Things like the quality of capacitors. A gold efficiency PSU can still be bad enough that it explodes and sets your house on fire. Take a look at the link in my signature.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's just the efficiency. There are a lot of factors that go into power supply quality. Things like the quality of capacitors. A gold efficiency PSU can still be bad enough that it explodes and sets your house on fire. Take a look at the link in my signature.

ok good to kno

1 hour ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

As ive seen that the armor gtx 1080 ti has a 1070 cooler.

So i have an option with going for an amp GTX 1080 ti with an i5-8600 OR an armor gtx 1080 ti with an i5-8600K 

What is better?

8600 + amp, no doubts. Especially since your original build has a B360 board. The 8600k is gonna cost at least $100 more if you want to OC... if you aren't going to OC it offers little to no improvement over an 8600.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

8600 + amp, no doubts. Especially since your original build has a B360 board. The 8600k is gonna cost at least $100 more if you want to OC... if you aren't going to OC it offers little to no improvement over an 8600.

what about this

i7-8700 with 1080 ti armor with 8 gb of ram or i5-8600 with 1080 ti amp and 16gb of ram ?

7 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

what about this

i7-8700 with 1080 ti armor with 8 gb of ram or i5-8600 with 1080 ti amp and 16gb of ram ?

i5. I don't think it's worth going to the i7 if you're sacrificing the cooler so much and 8gb ram too.

It's really just not worth getting the armor. At 40 dBa it's pumping out temps that are around 20 degrees celsius hotter than pretty much any other 1080 ti, which is just ridiculous.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

i5. I don't think it's worth going to the i7 if you're sacrificing the cooler so much and 8gb ram too.

It's really just not worth getting the armor. At 40 dBa it's pumping out temps that are around 20 degrees celsius hotter than pretty much any other 1080 ti, which is just ridiculous.

.-. okk

21 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

okay what about the aero oc? with the rear exhaust?

1 hour ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

okay what about the aero oc? with the rear exhaust?

It's a blower style though. Better than armor but not as good as open air.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It's a blower style though. Better than armor but not as good as open air.

but its good enough ? *crosses fingers*

3 hours ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

but its good enough ? *crosses fingers*

Good enough? It depends on your definition. If having a card at 50 dB under load is fine then the armor would be good enough. Same goes for the aero (which is just an uglier founders edition).

At least on PCPP though the amp is a little cheaper than the aero so I don't see any reason to get it...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Good enough? It depends on your definition. If having a card at 50 dB under load is fine then the armor would be good enough. Same goes for the aero (which is just an uglier founders edition).

At least on PCPP though the amp is a little cheaper than the aero so I don't see any reason to get it...

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

also i dont care how loud it is, i just dont want it fucking not working in a year or so bcuz of heat issues. (that happend to my laptops dedicated gpu :I)

23 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

On PCPP armor is cheapest at $750 and the amp is at $785 along with the others.

20 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

If you run the armor at max fan speeds it should be OK at stock, which will be like 1800 mhz in games. You might lose out on 5-10% extra FPS you could get with ocing on a better cooler.

The difference is only $35 compared to a $750 card though.... A drop in the bucket if you ask me.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler