I7 8750h optimization = 31% performance improvement?

1 hour ago, megafatpanda said:

Hello, Would like to know if the bios version you have is 1.4 or 1.5 cause it's best if you would just retain the 1.2 or 1.3 version of the bois. 

the 1.4 and 1.5 decrees the speed of the fans I don't know how it happened but it did. it's best if you can bring the bios version back to 1.2 or 1.3

if all else fails re apply thermal paste some laptops have bad paste out of the box. find a good thermal paste e.g Arctic MX-4 or NT-H1 and the expensive stuff "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut"

I recently updated my BIOS, its 1.6.1. now. I didnt even think about it, but I noticed that my laptop is way more quite than before, hm, thanks for mentioning it. I will downgrade my BIOS, then see what happens! :)

2 hours ago, Delaware said:

I recently updated my BIOS, its 1.6.1. now. I didnt even think about it, but I noticed that my laptop is way more quite than before, hm, thanks for mentioning it. I will downgrade my BIOS, then see what happens! :)

alright please let me know the results.

ty

On 11/24/2018 at 8:19 PM, megafatpanda said:

alright please let me know the results.

ty

Well my laptop blocked the BIOS downgrade...

On 11/26/2018 at 3:55 AM, Delaware said:

ohh wow, no choice but to wait for updated bios, I haven't done and downgrading for bios so I'm not sure how it works, I hope someone with enough knowledge sees this and can give proper instruction for it.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:11 AM, kevinisbeast707 said:

Thats not too bad for a low voltage mobile chip. xD

And what does "low voltage" mean?

AWOL

On 11/26/2018 at 8:15 PM, X_X said:

And what does "low voltage" mean?

I was referencing my new laptop which has an i5 8250u in it so in that case it means 15w. Definitely not an i7 8750h though I think it is still technically low voltage just not ultra low voltage like the "u" series.?

On 11/25/2018 at 11:55 AM, Delaware said:

Yeah maybe thermal paste but I know it's a pain to get in there to change it and I honestly think megafatpanda is right. It already heated up with normal fan curves so a slowed one would likely make it overheat. Does it do this both while plugged in and while on battery?

18 hours ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

I was referencing my new laptop which has an i5 8250u in it so in that case it means 15w. Definitely not an i7 8750h though I think it is still technically low voltage just not ultra low voltage like the "u" series.?

FWIW I've seen a desktop Haswell undervolt more than a mobile ULV at the same clocks as the ULV so not sure what to make of it. Doesn't appear to mean it'll run at a lower voltage than a desktop CPU. Maybe it's in the deep idle states?

AWOL

• 1 month later...

Guys I have a g7 keep your undervolt to -125mv and dont go any further for some reason un none to me it bsod when pushed pass that and gives a store data structure corruption code that cant be bypassed but for some reason -125mv is perfectly fine.

On 1/9/2019 at 2:28 PM, sieffy said:

Guys I have a g7 keep your undervolt to -125mv and dont go any further for some reason un none to me it bsod when pushed pass that and gives a store data structure corruption code that cant be bypassed but for some reason -125mv is perfectly fine.

As always it's on a per chip basis. I believe mine was fine at -150mv even though it was benchmark stable at -175. Like over clocking every chip will be able to run certain clocks at certain voltages so -125 is not a hard and fast rule since some won't be able to get down that far and some will probably be able to do -200mv. What kind of temps and performance did you get though??

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 4:45 AM, kevinisbeast707 said:

So I recently purchased a Dell g7 with a gtx 1060 max q and an i7 8750h. As I began playing gta v, I noticed that when I overclocked the gpu I would thermal throttle both the cpu and the gpu. The cpu would throttle to between 3.6 and 3.8Ghz and the gpu would throttle down to 1607Mhz. I remembered that I had heard something about messing with voltages and turbo boost times/powers to optimize mobile cpus. I had tried this on an i5 7200u and it was totally pointless. I decided to give it a shot anyways, and wow. Running just cinebench by itself, I was initially disappointed by my 100mv under volt since there were no thermal differences. However, clock speeds stayed near 3.9Ghz for the entirety of the run. I noticed that the cpu was power throttling still so I decided to under volt it by 150mv. That run I stayed at 3.9Ghz for the entire time (if i ran consecutive runs it would power throttle). So I set the turbo boost power max to 75w and the turbo boost short power max to 80w. No throttling this time and temps were still reasonable. The most remarkable thing though was the performance gain. I went from a multi threaded score of 919cb to a whopping 1205cb only by under volting and adjusting turbo boost power limits. That's a 31% performance improvement for giving the cpu less power. Awesome. I'm going to keep messing around with the voltage and see how low I can get it!

Update: at -175mw and 55w max turbo I was able to get 0 throttling with it remaining at a steady 3.914Ghz during GTA v gameplay. The temps went down from 99 to the mid to high 70s - low 80s. The GPU now is up to 1776mhz from 1607mhz and occasionally boosts to 1860mhz?.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys and let me know if anybody else has any experience with optimizations giving you huge performance gains in either raw power or temperatures. :D

Also idk why it thinks I have windows 8... It tried I guess...

Could a mod move this to the cpu thread. I forgot to place it in there initially because I'm dumb...:(

cinebench.png

Here you have it, 971 before undervolting and messing with turbo power, and last one after getting a stable 135mv I could reach 1176 after 4 multiple runs819355968_Capturadepantalla(2).thumb.png.a99db36af166994dcbcdad03772016c7.png

8 hours ago, Apocalypse303 said:

Here you have it, 971 before undervolting and messing with turbo power, and last one after getting a stable 135mv I could reach 1176 after 4 multiple runs819355968_Capturadepantalla(2).thumb.png.a99db36af166994dcbcdad03772016c7.png

Congrats!! Welcome to the better performance side of laptops?

• 4 months later...

Laptop ASUS GL703GS (BIOS 309)
CPU i7-8750H (iGPU disabled)
GTX 1070 8GB (vbios 86.04.7c.00.24, Samsung VRAM)
Windows 10 Pro 1903
Desktop res: 1080p (1920x1080)
Screen mode: 144Hz + g-sync
Hard disks: NVMe Samsung, SSD Crucial
USB Blu-Ray 4K drive: Verbatim 43888 (Pioneer BDR-UD04)

What I've learned since I started many months ago with repaste/undervolting (UV) i7-8750H:

1) UV less than -150mV or so for CACHE may seem stable but it only depends on the games you play: play something really demanding like Rise of the Tomb Rider, Forza Horizon 4, Lords of the Fallen at Ultra 90+fps and you'll see some freezes with audio in loop. Play other 30 games and it seems perfectly stable, yes, including benchmark tools.

SAFE place is -125mV CACHE for i7-8750H, CORE can be -145mV or more (but too much will reduce max frequency 3999-4100 to 3500).

2) some lucky users reporting incredibly low temps like 70-80°C when you play AAA titles at 90fps+ may have a faulty mobo with underpower issue. This explains the very low temps. Sad but true, from my direct experience with ASUS GL703GS and a friend of mine with ASUS GL704GW, we both initially got incredibly low temps so were super-excited… but… after a while we started to see problems: in my case USB ports had not enough power sometimes and caused random external faaast drives disconnections (SSD 550GB/s connected through USB 3.1 SS) and very rare freezes + sound in loop even with stock clocks and no UV. The friend of mine after 3 months got the PC completely DEAD: from night to day power button did nothing, with or without AC PSU. In both cases ASUS RMA replaced main board and they returned with higher temps but totally stable in any circumstances.

So beware if your gaming laptop has suspiciously good temps (about -10°C) at default clock without UV compared to commonly reported temps (up to 96°C under heavy load without UV for the 8750H)….

Just my two cents after 6 months with these beefy new gaming laptops….

On 6/28/2019 at 5:44 AM, Hexaae said:

Laptop ASUS GL703GS (BIOS 309)
CPU i7-8750H (iGPU disabled)
GTX 1070 8GB (vbios 86.04.7c.00.24, Samsung VRAM)
Windows 10 Pro 1903
Desktop res: 1080p (1920x1080)
Screen mode: 144Hz + g-sync
Hard disks: NVMe Samsung, SSD Crucial
USB Blu-Ray 4K drive: Verbatim 43888 (Pioneer BDR-UD04)

What I've learned since I started many months ago with repaste/undervolting (UV) i7-8750H:

1) UV less than -150mV or so for CACHE may seem stable but it only depends on the games you play: play something really demanding like Rise of the Tomb Rider, Forza Horizon 4, Lords of the Fallen at Ultra 90+fps and you'll see some freezes with audio in loop. Play other 30 games and it seems perfectly stable, yes, including benchmark tools.

SAFE place is -125mV CACHE for i7-8750H, CORE can be -145mV or more (but too much will reduce max frequency 3999-4100 to 3500).

2) some lucky users reporting incredibly low temps like 70-80°C when you play AAA titles at 90fps+ may have a faulty mobo with underpower issue. This explains the very low temps. Sad but true, from my direct experience with ASUS GL703GS and a friend of mine with ASUS GL704GW, we both initially got incredibly low temps so were super-excited… but… after a while we started to see problems: in my case USB ports had not enough power sometimes and caused random external faaast drives disconnections (SSD 550GB/s connected through USB 3.1 SS) and very rare freezes + sound in loop even with stock clocks and no UV. The friend of mine after 3 months got the PC completely DEAD: from night to day power button did nothing, with or without AC PSU. In both cases ASUS RMA replaced main board and they returned with higher temps but totally stable in any circumstances.

So beware if your gaming laptop has suspiciously good temps (about -10°C) at default clock without UV compared to commonly reported temps (up to 96°C under heavy load without UV for the 8750H)….

Just my two cents after 6 months with these beefy new gaming laptops….

That has about summed up my experience as well. With my G7 I never had usb power delivery issues but I also didn't observe a large temperature difference since the G7 was just taking that extra thermal headroom and boosting to the limits of that default voltage curves power limit. What I have come to respect in the months since then is that Rise of The Tomb Raider is brutal on hardware and incredibly good at finding weaknesses in overclocks. On my desktop I have been able to play every other game I own for hours and hours on end with a gpu overclock on a 2080 at +160Mhz but the moment I try to play ROTTR I have to drop the clock back to +140 otherwise it crashes every time. Does the same for cpu overclocks though for memory I find cinebench does a fine job for generally finding really bad overclocks and timings. 

• 3 weeks later...

If I undervolt the CPU and increase the amount of power drawn by the CPU to say 55W, will the temperatures rise more than say just an undervolted CPU with 45W power draw.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:18 AM, rhlbs1995 said:

If I undervolt the CPU and increase the amount of power drawn by the CPU to say 55W, will the temperatures rise more than say just an undervolted CPU with 45W power draw.

Yes because it will turbo higher than usual since you're allowing it to not power throttle as much.

• 4 months later...

Can someone help me please I can't get my cpu over 625cb I set the core and cache voltage to -144.5 underclocked the CPU to 37