Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WikiForce

High CPU temps with aftermarket cooler

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i got new motherboard about two weeks ago, seems fine other than some unusual overheating issues. Earlier i noticed chispet on motherboard was running really hot. Now two days ago when i was rendering my youtube video. CPU Temps went all the way upto 83C with my previous mercury mobo they only peaked 77C. Even at idle i am getting about 5-8C higher CPU temps.

I wonder if it could improperly applied thermal paste as my local engineer who installed the mobo didn't even remove the previous dried paste. He just put new paste over it and that too seemed to be lacking (not in enough amount) and didn't spread all the way on the chip.

I am not comfortable with installing new paste myself as i have history of breaking coolers, i have many times in past bent the mounting pins and it is generally recommended to take out the mobo before installing cpu cooler but i don't have proper screwdrivers for it and neither i'm comfortable with that as well. I have Deepcool Alta 7 (CPU Cooler), which doesn't have any backplate and is low profile so i guess it could be reinstalled without taking out mobo but still i am not confident doing it myself.

I think these temps with an aftermarket cooler are not acceptable at all and it could possibly caused by new my motherboard as well (Asus H61M-K). Other than improper application of Thermal Paste.

Any advice?

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

9 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

I wonder if it could improperly applied thermal paste as my local engineer who installed the mobo didn't even remove the previous dried paste. He just put new paste over it and that too seemed to be lacking (not in enough amount) and didn't spread all the way on the chip.

Seriously cringed when I read this. Absolutely get this paste cleaned and changed. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

O wow... Not removing the old thermal paste and cleaning it properly is the reason for the higher temperature to 100%

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016