i7 7700HQ - Undervolt

So I have recently just bought an MSI gaming laptop (GP62MVR 7RFX) and I noticed that when gaming the CPU temps were reaching nearly 90°C, even though intel say it's fine as long it's under 100°C I still thought it was quite high.I did some research and found that underclocking this CPU will decrease the temp. I used intel XTU and have decreased it by -0.115 and it seems to be running a lot cooler, only 75°C in games now. 

Is this a well know issue with these CPU's? Also will keeping the voltage down have any impact on performance or the life of the CPU in the future?

Thanks 

As far as I know, adding voltage is what reduces CPU lifespan so decreasing voltage should in theory do no harm or even increase the CPU's lifespan.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Very well known issue with the 7700HQ, the one in my Alienware loves to run hot also. Undervolting shouldn't have any impact on the life of the cpu.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I think Dave2D did a video on undervolting the 7700hq where he went through the pros and cons.

I tried it on my laptop when I got it and dropped my temps quite significantly which allowed me to increase the clock of the GPU as they share the heatsink

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 minutes ago, Tomthehitman said:

So I have recently just bought an MSI gaming laptop (GP62MVR 7RFX) and I noticed that when gaming the CPU temps were reaching nearly 90°C, even though intel say it's fine as long it's under 100°C I still thought it was quite high.I did some research and found that underclocking this CPU will decrease the temp. I used intel XTU and have decreased it by -0.115 and it seems to be running a lot cooler, only 75°C in games now. 

Is this a well know issue with these CPU's? Also will keeping the voltage down have any impact on performance or the life of the CPU in the future?

Thanks 

It is well known but as you heard from intel its not an issue unless it goes above 100c. However temps that high are not ideal and having fans ramp up like that isn't fun either. Its one of those things that is left up to the laptop oem they get to decide between temp, thickness, and noise to figure out which combination works best for the machine they want to produce and the customer experience. but yes one easy thing to do is to undervolt the cpu. This wont cause any long term damage and in fact technically would make the cpu last longer since the things that wear the silicon out are heat and voltage. The only downside is really if it is stable in everything it will do which varies so much its hard to pin down with just one kind of stress test but should be treated the same way you validate an overclock.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

5 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Very well known issue with the 7700HQ, the one in my Alienware loves to run hot also. Undervolting shouldn't have any impact on the life of the cpu.

Just so you know Alienware specifically set their fan curve to let the cpu get up to 90c even if you undervolt a stress test should bring it back up around the same temp either way but you will notice lower temps in day to day tasks.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

10 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

@Tomthehitman you should also try changing out the thermal paste on your CPU it could help by a couple degrees

I'm not sure if that will void the warranty and as I've only had the laptop about a month I'm not sure if the temp decrease is worth the risk.

13 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I think Dave2D did a video on undervolting the 7700hq where he went through the pros and cons.

I tried it on my laptop when I got it and dropped my temps quite significantly which allowed me to increase the clock of the GPU as they share the heatsink

Thanks, I've just googled and given the video a watch, might see if I can get the voltage down slightly further! 

Laptop makers can't individually determine voltages for each chip so usually the voltage it gets fed is way higher than it needs because a select few chips will need that much. As long as the undervolt is stable, there's not much harm you can do.  Instead, it should be good for the CPU

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

15 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Laptop makers can't individually determine voltages for each chip so usually the voltage it gets fed is way higher than it needs because a select few chips will need that much. As long as the undervolt is stable, there's not much harm you can do.  Instead, it should be good for the CPU

Thanks, think I will keep tinkering with it then to see if I can get it lower!