Should This Build Be Changed to X299 over Z370? (First Build)

demstro
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Unless your doing tons of bandwidth with storage or network(you don't seem to be) it will be fine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8mDygw

So most people have told me that my list looks great. I plan on using it for gaming on one monitor, and as a multimonitor workstation for daytrading. I was confident in my list until someone on reddit said that I should be going the X299 route instead due to PCIe limitations. I was just about ready to begin purchasing parts but now he has me second guessing. Here's what he said:

The non-X299 CPUs only have 16 lanes which are used for the GPU slots. Every other device on the motherboard shares the 4 lanes going to the board - a total of 3.94 GB/s. A single USB 3 port needs 1 GB/s. The 970 EVO needs over 3.5 GB/s. A SATA 3 SSD needs 600 MB/s. You cannot copy across these devices without a bottleneck or use them together at full speed.

The 28 lanes on the 7800X can run multiple NVMe drives off the CPU directly and not slow down the other devices on the 4 motherboard lanes. You’re paying the same money for a crippled product.

Is he correct? Is it a big deal, or would it barely be noticeable? 

Considering many many people have both a GPU and an NVMe drive in Z370 systems, it'll be fine.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

If thats going to be your use you do not need more then 16 lanes anyway, graphics doesnt get that crippled even if its run in 8x/4x 

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Unless your doing tons of bandwidth with storage or network(you don't seem to be) it will be fine.

6 minutes ago, Optimize said:

If thats going to be your use you do not need more then 16 lanes anyway, graphics doesnt get that crippled even if its run in 8x/4x 

8 minutes ago, Sylvie05 said:

Considering many many people have both a GPU and an NVMe drive in Z370 systems, it'll be fine.

That's everything I needed to hear, thanks!