Router turns off after power cut even though it's connected to a ups.

Go to solution Solved by EsaT,
5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This tells me that perhaps your UPS isn't putting out a perfect sine wave (not a defect if it is just made like that, which many are), and perhaps something in the router's power adapter has failed, making it unable to handle this "rough" power coming from the UPS in battery mode.

Most consumer UPSes output modified square waves, with very little to do with sine wave.

This is good for checking what those "simulated/stepped aproximation" etc sine wave marketing terms mean:

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/database-of-ups-output-waveforms/

With those long zero voltage periods of square wave power adapter of router might now be running out of primary capacitance to get over them.

Those adapters aren't exactly made to cool their components.

If you have multimeter you could try checking if power adapter outputs anything when powered by output voltage of UPS.

Whenever there's a power cut my router turn off while the PC still keeps running.

I have tried plugging the power cord of the router into a different socket but result is still the same. I tried dropping the load on ups after power cut the result still remains the same. The router was working perfectly before with no issues even when on the ups battery backup. Is the router at fault? 

Router: D-Link dir-825ac

Ups rating - 1000va

My Build:
 CPU - i7-4790k @ 4.7ghz (overclocked) at 1.328v
 Ram - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (overclocked)
 Motherboard - Asus Republic Of Gamers (ROG) Maximus VII Hero
 Cpu Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX Liquid cooler, Noctua NH-D15 Air cooler
 Case - Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5
 PSU - Corsair Rm1000 Gold Certified
 SSD - Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD
 HDD - 1x WD Black 4TB/256mb cache, 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
 GPU - Zotac Gtx 1080Ti Amp! Extreme! edition
 Keyboard - HyperX Alloy mechanical_Cherry-MX RED (main) , Asus Cerberus (secondary)
 Mouse - Logitech G403 Prodigy (Main) , Razer Deathadder 2013(secondary), Logitech m235 wireless mouse (secondary)
 Mouse pad - Razer Gigantus (Main) CM-Storm Swift-RX (secondary), Steelseries Qck (secondary)
 Mic - Blue Snowball ICE
 Headphones - HyperX Cloud Core
 Monitor - Acer Predator XB271HU 2560x1440 144hz Gsync (Main), Dell S2216H 1920x1080 60hz (secondary)

Try plugging something else in to the ups to check if it works like a phone charger or something if it doesn't well theirs your answer. Actually either way you get you're answer if it does work the router is at fault

5 hours ago, Sanchit_technogeek said:

Whenever there's a power cut my router turn off while the PC still keeps running.

I have tried plugging the power cord of the router into a different socket but result is still the same. I tried dropping the load on ups after power cut the result still remains the same. Is the router at fault? 

Router D-Link dir-825ac

Ups rating - 1000va

If you have different adapter try it

it's 12v 2a

Some bad UPS when it's cut off from power outputting too high voltage, so that might burn the router or adapter.

5 minutes ago, Oryzaki said:

Try plugging something else in to the ups to check if it works like a phone charger or something if it doesn't well theirs your answer. Actually either way you get you're answer if it does work the router is at fault

Phone charger works. I guess router's power adapter is at fault though it works fine when not connected to the ups

My Build:
 Keyboard - HyperX Alloy mechanical_Cherry-MX RED (main) , Asus Cerberus (secondary)
 Mouse - Logitech G403 Prodigy (Main) , Razer Deathadder 2013(secondary), Logitech m235 wireless mouse (secondary)
 Mouse pad - Razer Gigantus (Main) CM-Storm Swift-RX (secondary), Steelseries Qck (secondary)
 Mic - Blue Snowball ICE
 Monitor - Acer Predator XB271HU 2560x1440 144hz Gsync (Main), Dell S2216H 1920x1080 60hz (secondary)

18 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Many UPSes have multiple plugs. Some plugs are just passthrough (no battery backup) while others actually go through the UPS. ]]

I bet if you plug the router into the exact same outlet your PC is currently in, it will not turn off during a power outage. 

This was my first guess as well.  However, those plugs should be clearly labeled so OP I can't imagine you're in a pass-through plug by mistake... still, check this.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 29/5/2018 at 7:33 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

This was my first guess as well.  However, those plugs should be clearly labeled so OP I can't imagine you're in a pass-through plug by mistake... still, check this.

The ups doesn't have any pass through sockets, it used to work before in the same socket but now it doesn't, i have tried all the sockets available on the ups. Power adapter's (router) power led flashes for a second when the ups switches to battery backup and then it turns off.

My Build:
 Mic - Blue Snowball ICE

53 minutes ago, Sanchit_technogeek said:

The ups doesn't have any pass through sockets, it used to work before in the same socket but now it doesn't, i have tried all the sockets available on the ups. Power adapter's (router) power led flashes for a second when the ups switches to battery backup and then it turns off.

If the exact combination of that device in that socket on that UPS used to work and now it doesn't, it means something has failed.  This just leaves the question of whether it's the UPS or the router.  You did some tests and based on that, it seems to me like the power adapter for the router may be the problem.  You said it works in other plugs, but not in any of the plugs on the UPS, but also that other devices work in the UPS.  This tells me that perhaps your UPS isn't putting out a perfect sine wave (not a defect if it is just made like that, which many are), and perhaps something in the router's power adapter has failed, making it unable to handle this "rough" power coming from the UPS in battery mode.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This tells me that perhaps your UPS isn't putting out a perfect sine wave (not a defect if it is just made like that, which many are), and perhaps something in the router's power adapter has failed, making it unable to handle this "rough" power coming from the UPS in battery mode.

Most consumer UPSes output modified square waves, with very little to do with sine wave.

This is good for checking what those "simulated/stepped aproximation" etc sine wave marketing terms mean:

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/database-of-ups-output-waveforms/

With those long zero voltage periods of square wave power adapter of router might now be running out of primary capacitance to get over them.

Those adapters aren't exactly made to cool their components.

If you have multimeter you could try checking if power adapter outputs anything when powered by output voltage of UPS.

Replaced my surge protector with a high quality one, issue is fixed. Thanks for help. It was definitely a sine wave issue.

My Build:
 Mic - Blue Snowball ICE