Satellite internet with 25ms good for gaming

Damirmk
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, ELKTRSK said:

The Kessler Syndrome will make the entire thing die. 

Poor us.

No, not really.

these satellites are in low enough orbit that any space junk at that altitude deorbits itself fairly quickly (in a matter of months or low single-digit years). the satellites will have to constantly boost themselves up (or more correctly prograde/sideways) in order to stay in space. in theory, a satellite collision wouldn't be that bad, since the debris would deorbit fairly quickly.

13 hours ago, John Ellmaker said:

I’m interested in what the pricing will be, if it’s competitive then it’s great to see another option out there especially for non gaming clients

Elon has said that pricing will hopefully beat ISPs in urban areas, with hopefully similar or even better speed, and low latency (30ms-ish?)

this is all very theoretical, but once all 12,000 satellites are up (which is an insane number -- 15 times more satellites than are active at the moment), we'll see how it goes.

I'm hopeful that Starlink can get speeds in the several hunderds of Mbits, or maybe even gigabit, at prices lower than standard internet costs in the USA right now.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

On 27/05/2018 at 7:22 PM, GoldenLag said:

As long as there is 0% packet loss and it is consistent (no rerouting that causes small drops in connection) 

See Warthunder when there is any event for reference

Packet loss is hardly an issue for gaming as most games UPD to communicate with the server.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Packet loss is hardly an issue for gaming as most games UPD to communicate with the server.

Hah

"Packet loss is not an issue with gaming"

Have you played a game while having 5% packet loss? Its the most stuttery thing ever. Combine that with a bit of latency caused by the packet loss and you will be throwing tantrums every 10 minutes.

Have you played a game with a lot of packet loss? I chose warthunder as they are infamus for their packet loss while also having a ping and packet loss clunter.

Also "most" is a bad argument, since the broad spectrum of games suffer differently from packet loss.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Hah

"Packet loss is not an issue with gaming"

Have you played a game while having 5% packet loss? Its the most stuttery thing ever. Combine that with a bit of latency caused by the packet loss and you will be throwing tantrums every 10 minutes.

Have you played a game with a lot of packet loss? I chose warthunder as they are infamus for their packet loss while also having a ping and packet loss clunter.

Lots is not the same as some packet loss.

There is a reason most games use UDP and that's because TCP will attempt  to resend failed packets.

So long as most of the packets get there is basically fine.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

Lots is not the same as some packet loss.

There is a reason most games use UDP and that's because TCP will attempt  to resend failed packets.

So long as most of the packets get there is basically fine.

Warthunder specifically suffer from packet loss. As far as i know i doesnt attempt to rescend failed packages. 

(Im not too well-hearsed within this topic i must admit)

If most packages get there yes, but 1% doesnt affect too much. The moment it jumps above you notice its effect.

That is kinda why these satalites to be viable within gaming should not experience much packet loss.

OW is not much fun at ~5% packet loss and also with  according ping sufferage due to packet loss isnt fun

Goddamn i cant wait for this to be a thing, wonder how many people will just use their phones for VOIP when this goes through, i know if i had access to infinite wifi anywhere i would be in a contract paying 200 bucks a month

1 hour ago, Cole5 said:

Goddamn i cant wait for this to be a thing, wonder how many people will just use their phones for VOIP when this goes through, i know if i had access to infinite wifi anywhere i would be in a contract paying 200 bucks a month

IIRC either Elon or Gwynne was asked if this could be used for cellphones and they said not really. I can’t find the exact source but I remember from somewhere that the transceiver is going to be large-ish, like 12”x12” - like a large enterprise AP e.g. Ruckus R710. They aren’t going to have a traditional satellite dish, but you do need something on the larger side to send and receive from satellites at high speeds. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 minutes ago, brwainer said:

IIRC either Elon or Gwynne was asked if this could be used for cellphones and they said not really. I can’t find the exact source but I remember from somewhere that the transceiver is going to be large-ish, like 12”x12” - like a large enterprise AP e.g. Ruckus R710. They aren’t going to have a traditional satellite dish, but you do need something on the larger side to send and receive from satellites at high speeds. 

Well damnit