Satellite internet with 25ms good for gaming

Damirmk

Gaming using satellite internet .... never thought that I will to see the day....

"It’s been three months since SpaceX launched the first prototype satellites for its Starlink broadband internet network, and there’s been precious little information about what they’re up to. Until today."

http://newstechandgaming.blogspot.mk/2018/05/spacexs-prototype-internet-satellites.html

Impressive, going to take a long time to setup a proper constellation of satelites though. 

My parents live out in a rural spot where satellite is pretty much the only option besides like a 4g router. Consistently over 700 ping at its best. This would be a god send for many rural spots and other areas hard to access

CPU: AMD FX-8320E Motherboard: ASRock 970M Pro3 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz GPU: PowerColor R7 370 2GB Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX Storage: 120GB Kingston V300 + 1TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: EVGA NEX750B 750W Monitor: LG 22MP55 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Keyboard & Mouse: Cooler Master Devastator Sound: Logitech G230 OS: Windows 10

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

As long as there is 0% packet loss and it is consistent (no rerouting that causes small drops in connection) 

See Warthunder when there is any event for reference

If they can do 0% packet loss ...WOW.... but I doubt it....storms and cloudy weather can interfere with satellite signal....I do hope that they can find a way around it.

gaming internet speeds at the north pole ...... mmmm interesting

24 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Impressive, going to take a long time to setup a proper constellation of satelites though. 

They can focus om certain regions and ignore certain countries with well-established internett networks (say south-Korea, Sweden, Japan, Norway, etc). 

It will still take a while for them to have it fully implemented.

Wonder if they are going to have self-decaying orbits, that way they can continually swapp out satelites and have top of the line gear in orbit.

Also because less spacejunk

40 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

As long as there is 0% packet loss and it is consistent (no rerouting that causes small drops in connection) 

The plan for Starlink (and for a few of the competitors that have popped up) is to use relatively low orbits, which is how its able to achieve the low latency. The system by designed willbe swapping satellites at least every few minutes, if not once or more per minute. At the same time though your local transceiver will be connected to 3+ satellites at a time. Also the satellites will be able to pass packets between each other directly. I’m sure the goal is no or almost no packet loss, but there is going to be some amount of jitter. This may not be a solution for particular network-demanding games but they have said that they want VOIP to work well, which does place a limit on how much loss and jitter there can be. If this becomes a dominant form of internet and they do the best they can, then pressure will be on the game makers to adjust their network code to handle Starlink et. al.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Wonder if they are going to have self-decaying orbits, that way they can continually swapp out satelites and have top of the line gear in orbit.

Also because less spacejunk

I haven’t seen anything indicating self-decaying orbits, but Elon and Gwynne (COO of SpaceX) have both said that they will be carefully managing the system to prevent spacejunk. They have always de-orbited the Falcon 9 second stage.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

I haven’t seen anything indicating self-decaying orbits, but Elon and Gwynne (COO of SpaceX) have both said that they will be carefully managing the system to prevent spacejunk. They have always de-orbited the Falcon 9 second stage.

Technically any orbit is pretty much self-decaying. It just that some will take a decade to de-orbit and some wont within the lifetime of earth. (Geostationary orbits). 

The ISS regurarly has to do boost to keep im orbit and tools and other equipent "dropped" away from the spacestaition is tracked and is given a rough date untill it has decayed an is nolonger considered spacejunk

The Kessler Syndrome will make the entire thing die. 

Poor us.

Nice.

This may even be the answer for germany to the lacking ISPs.

Seriously, if i am dead center in munich, i get like 200kb down 20kb up via some carriers.

And as soon as there is no 20k+ people town in a 2km reach, you are happy to have any connection at all.

2 hours ago, Dustyne said:

My parents live out in a rural spot where satellite is pretty much the only option besides like a 4g router. Consistently over 700 ping at its best. This would be a god send for many rural spots and other areas hard to access

Yeah, the pings are what makes sat painful at times to use.  The best I ever saw was a 300ms ping.

Though, on that one, users where able to do facetime decently and that was with a 90 to 100 users on the same network.

Of course, that was out in the darn desert (clear skies and not a lot of interfering RF sure helps).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Image result for flying tanks war thunder

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Can you imagine living in Madagascar with a few solar panels, a gaming laptop, sleeping in a Hammock eating fish, coconuts and bananas with free satellite internet?

This internet will be weird tough, will they make broadcast deals per region/country or will i buy a connection and can get access from anywhere i am on the globe? thats the most important part of it.

I used to use satellite internet back in 2006-2008. If it was completely cloudless outside, you'd get around 1000 ms ping. Any clouds, and that shoots up significantly.

I'm sure satellite tech has gotten better over time, but you're still sending your packets to space and back to earth, rather than staying in a nice, tidy, and fast cable here on the ground.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Latency is horrid on sat. 4g is much better if you had to choose. But if your happy with an extra 100ms on top of your game latency then it's fine. You just wouldn't want to be a fps player. Wow and MMOs should be fine.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

1 hour ago, Emberstone said:

I used to use satellite internet back in 2006-2008. If it was completely cloudless outside, you'd get around 1000 ms ping. Any clouds, and that shoots up significantly.

I'm sure satellite tech has gotten better over time, but you're still sending your packets to space and back to earth, rather than staying in a nice, tidy, and fast cable here on the ground.

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

Latency is horrid on sat. 4g is much better if you had to choose. But if your happy with an extra 100ms on top of your game latency then it's fine. You just wouldn't want to be a fps player. Wow and MMOs should be fine.

Conventional satellite internet has latency in the 1000ms time because those satellites are in geostationary orbit - ~22,000 miles. Starlink however will be in low earth orbit - like the international space station - 100-300 miles. The drastically lower distance means that the latency is much reduced, but with the downside that you have to keep changing satellites as they whizz by overhead.

7 hours ago, Damirmk said:

Gaming using satellite internet

sounds expensive

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Satellite handoff for static stations shouldn't be a problem. It gets crazy when you have airplanes moving at 900 km/h.

but not ferries in bc

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Satellite handoff for static stations shouldn't be a problem. It gets crazy when you have airplanes moving at 900 km/h.

Agreed, I never said it would be a problem - its the same as cell tower roaming but in reverse. But there is going to be a certain amount of jitter (variance in latency) even if they can manage it very well. And yeah airplanes are going to be an interesting aspect.

49 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Agreed, I never said it would be a problem - its the same as cell tower roaming but in reverse. But there is going to be a certain amount of jitter (variance in latency) even if they can manage it very well. And yeah airplanes are going to be an interesting aspect.

Roaming cell towers, that is a very interesting thing to picture xD.

I’m interested in what the pricing will be, if it’s competitive then it’s great to see another option out there especially for non gaming clients

On 27.5.2018 at 10:37 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

You're probably not getting better internet in highly populated zones with satellites. In cities, 5G is the way to go. For rural networks, probably long range 5G and satellite, plus Google balloons/Facebook planes, etc. 

Pretty sure it would be better than: "It does not even open google.com"