FBI Warns Users to Reboot Routers

Crunchy Dragon
5 hours ago, Enderman said:

You can't connect to the internet with just a router.

There is always an ONT or modem that takes the signal cable and turns it into ethernet.

Sometimes a modem and router are combined into one.

Well, that isn't always consumer facing. For example my building has Ethernet at the wall for every apartment meaning you just plug in any Ethernet device you want whether directly, a router or even an access point. 

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Well, that isn't always consumer facing. For example my building has Ethernet at the wall for every apartment meaning you just plug in any Ethernet device you want whether directly, a router or even an access point. 

Well that sounds horrible for security...

Does everyone share a single IP or does each person still get their own assigned modem?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Well that sounds horrible for security...

Does everyone share a single IP or does each person still get their own assigned modem?

It's using cgn. I'd say there is room for exploitation. I don't know the details of their implementation. I can say though that outside the network the double nat will be difficult to work with but I can actually tunnel into my personal network from an apartment in the vicinity via open ports and a VPN server on the router. In theory I should be able to mess with someone that doesn't have nat setup or that has open ports.

I'm not sure how much they monitor but it is obviously against the ToS but since when has that stopped someone determined? I'm however not really gonna test that or look into exploitation.

I may have overlooked some security measures (I don't think two PCs connected at the wall with no firewalls can ping each other; that would be stupid if it was possible anyway )but basically VPN and by extension a Plex server are available to me on the internal network. I can't do it from my phone on 4G no matter what I try. I need a public IP which I'm not gonna pay for. I should be able to to do it by connecting both ends to a VPN service and opening ports but I think that would work on any ISP; that should allow pinging both ways.

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not that I own a susceptible model, but what does rebooting do here? Is the malware just in RAM or something and won't it just be infected again if it gets cleared? 

it's the FBI version of the classic "have you tried turning it on and off again" xD

even if rebooting did anything, they have no idea what backdoor they used, so the Russians would just do it again. 

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not that I own a susceptible model, but what does rebooting do here? Is the malware just in RAM or something and won't it just be infected again if it gets cleared? 

Rebooting clears stage 2 and 3 of the malware, but stage 1 still remains. For stage 1, it needs a firmware update.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Rebooting clears stage 2 and 3 of the malware, but stage 1 still remains. For stage 1, it needs a firmware update.

Well good luck with that, most consumer router get patches for one year then nothing.... Even my small business one stopped getting them in mid 2017 (Netgear). Better get some metal to run pfsense....

Edited by jagdtigger

28 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well good luck with that, most consumer router get patches for one year then nothing.... Even my small business one stopped getting them in mid 2017 (Netgear). Better get some metal to run pfsense....

From my experience Netgear is pretty good with patches and updates. My R7000 frequently gets updated.. And this a router that was launched almost five years ago.

So close to being on that list have an r6700

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Rebooted and got a firmware update for my R8000 last night already..

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

12 hours ago, Vode said:

That‘s a King Tiger.

Actually I believe it is a panther...still don't mess with my router man :ph34r:

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

From my experience Netgear is pretty good with patches and updates. My R7000 frequently gets updated.. And this a router that was launched almost five years ago.

Cant find any release date on my fvs336gv3 but i have hunch that it is older than 5 years... :D

we need to reboot our modems after the servers were seized?

I"M POSITIVE RUSSIANS WILL BE THE ONES TO INFECT US.

Am I the only one who doesn't get how this stuff seems to just be expected and accepted?  If a foreign agent had lit off a bomb in a major city or poisoned the water supply or something like that, I assume there would be a declaration of war and things would get real serious real fast, but governments seem to be hacking each other and their citizen regularly like that's just a totally normal thing that should be allowed, and I don't understand it.  How is the response to this kind of thing not to go to war?  It's like no one has the guts anymore, which to be fair is probably a good thing, but it's still strange...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Am I the only one who doesn't get how this stuff seems to just be expected and accepted?  If a foreign agent had lit off a bomb in a major city or poisoned the water supply or something like that, I assume there would be a declaration of war and things would get real serious real fast, but governments seem to be hacking each other and their citizen regularly like that's just a totally normal thing that should be allowed, and I don't understand it.  How is the response to this kind of thing not to go to war?  It's like no one has the guts anymore, which to be fair is probably a good thing, but it's still strange...

Because it hasn't impacted enough people yet. Once we have people killing power grids and other large swaths of services to people then it will be taken more seriously. Once people are at high risk of being impacted then they will start to care but when they have the mentality of "it won't happen to me" then they won't care and stir up demands of change.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Neither the FBI, CISCO, nor the Justice Department allege in the linked statements that VPNFilter was created and distributed by Russia—that language was included solely by ArsTechnica. They either spoke anonymously with people involved or are adding that language without substantiation. Regardless, according to CISCO's statement, only 500,000 devices have been infected worldwide, of which the majority are located in Ukraine. They also seem to suggest that the infected devices are only those with very little security that directly access the Internet. It's unlikely that the average person's router in the United States is infected.

is there a full list of all the affected routers? or are only the 14 named routers affected?

(btw i already rebooted my router)

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

15 hours ago, darknessblade said:

is there a full list of all the affected routers? or are only the 14 named routers affected?

(btw i already rebooted my router)

More affected routers will likely be added later as research continues.

On 5/27/2018 at 2:24 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I totally understand where you are coming from but keep in mind if you are going to war with Russia or China (or any nuclear power at that) its probably going to go nuclear real fast.  You could get into game theory and all classic cold war type stuff but without a doubt that is in the minds of them as well as ours.  In fact, it can be argued the reason why there is so much going on in the cyber world (state sponsored operations here) is that it is a way to indirectly impact your adversaries without risking nuclear annihilation (now I will agree hit someone with a cyber attack big enough to knock out power grids and cause anarchy in major cities resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands if not millions then yes war becomes inevitable) because lets face it the second it goes conventional shit will escalate real fast.

Instead of getting involved in a pissing match of proxy wars (aka Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia) its more cost effective and impactful to use cyber attacks.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that many of the cyber attacks you see might have little to do with the governments themselves and more to do with mafia and criminal organizations operating for their own financial gain.  It doesn't make it any better at all but its where it gets harder to tackle.  On one hand you wouldn't risk a full blown nuclear war with another nation if it was simply done by a criminal organization based there working under the radar.  On the other hand, how willful was that nation in letting or even nudging that criminal organization to launch cyber attacks on another nation's people.  Now you have a real problem because even if you know who did it and where they came from you now have limited options.  Lets say it came from China, would you really expect the Chinese to extradite their own especially if it had a negative impact on US infrastructure?  The answer is of course no so now you have two options.  One conventional military action, millions dead and nations irreparably damaged if not destroyed.  Two extremely high risk special operations to infiltrate and kill/capture the actors.  Then you have the unspoken third of espionage and cyber actions against said adversary.  Hmmm seems we've gone full circle...   

On 5/27/2018 at 1:35 AM, Vode said:

That‘s a King Tiger.

Not even close. Its a Panther Aus. D.

But on a side note, I dont understand how rebooting this will solve any issue. I get it can break the connection but its not like this process takes long enough to notify people and have them reboot. 

I feel lucky to say that my router is an Asus.  #NotMyProblemYet :D 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Pretty worrying, amd a good reminder to ALWAYS keep all your firmware up to date.

Sadly, most people who own one of these routers likely dont even know how to upgrade the firmware or even hear about this news at all.

Also: do we even know if newer firmwares for these models fix the vulnerability the malware was exploiting? If not, updating wont do you any good.

Luckily a lot of ISP's push firmware updates to their supplied modems/routers. So it is really mostly 3rd party / home installed devices that are the weakest link.

How long ago did this hit? As I recently had a new cable modem/router installed (last Friday)...

I believe mine is some sort of hybrid made by Netgear along with some parts from Cisco (Superhub 3.0)...I'm guessing this isn't on the list?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

17 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Sadly, most people who own one of these routers likely dont even know how to upgrade the firmware or even hear about this news at all.

Luckily almost all brands have an update button on the main login page. But the average person will not even make it that far because ignorance. 

18 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Luckily a lot of ISP's push firmware updates to their supplied modems/routers. So it is really mostly 3rd party / home installed devices that are the weakest link.

Meh....careful about that. 

Our Mikrotiks are always up to date and our modems are as well. But we are almost done cycling out another brand and I havent even got a response back for an update from them so there are a few hundred people vulnerable. Until an update I have blocked all Russia subnets on them. 

6 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Until an update I have blocked all Russia subnets on them. 

...Why? How would this solve anything considering stage 1 gets an IP from photobucket, all of the stage 2 servers are outside of Russia, and stage 3 communicates over TOR? 

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.