FBI Warns Users to Reboot Routers

Crunchy Dragon

The FBI has warned users to reboot their routers due to a malware attack allegedly unleashed by Russia.

The FBI is advising users of consumer-grade routers and network-attached storage devices to reboot them as soon as possible to counter Russian-engineered malware that has infected hundreds of thousands devices.

Researchers from Cisco’s Talos security team first disclosed the existence of the malware on Wednesday. The detailed report said the malware infected more than 500,000 devices made by Linksys, Mikrotik, Netgear, QNAP, and TP-Link. Known as VPNFilter, the malware allowed attackers to collect communications, launch attacks on others, and permanently destroy the devices with a single command. The report said the malware was developed by hackers working for an advanced nation, possibly Russia, and advised users of affected router models to perform a factory reset, or at a minimum to reboot.

Bolded text added by me. I'm not aware if the malware would affect routers by other companies such as Motorola or Asus. Either way, I would strongly advise you all to reboot your routers just in case. Can't be too safe, right?

Later in the day, The Daily Beast reported that VPNFilter was indeed developed by a Russian hacking group, one known by a variety of names, including Sofacy, Fancy Bear, APT 28, and Pawn Storm. The Daily Beast also said the FBI had seized an Internet domain VPNFilter used as a backup means to deliver later stages of the malware to devices that were already infected with the initial stage 1. The seizure meant that the primary and secondary means to deliver stages 2 and 3 had been dismantled, leaving only a third fallback, which relied on attackers sending special packets to each infected device.

The FBI recommends any owner of small office and home office routers reboot the devices to temporarily disrupt the malware and aid the potential identification of infected devices. Owners are advised to consider disabling remote management settings on devices and secure with strong passwords and encryption when enabled. Network devices should be upgraded to the latest available versions of firmware.

Owners of SOHO and NAS devices that may be infected should reboot their devices as soon as possible, temporarily eliminating the second stage malware and causing the first stage malware on their device to call out for instructions. Although devices will remain vulnerable to reinfection with the second stage malware while connected to the Internet, these efforts maximize opportunities to identify and remediate the infection worldwide in the time available before Sofacy actors learn of the vulnerability in their command-and-control infrastructure.

Pretty serious stuff. Again, I would strongly advise you all to take the necessary security measures.

A list of all the known affected routers:

Authorities and researchers still don’t know for certain how compromised devices are initially infected. They suspect the attackers exploited known vulnerabilities and default passwords that end users had yet to patch or change. That uncertainty is likely driving the advice in the FBI statement that all router and NAS users reboot, rather than only users of the 14 models known to be affected by VPNFilter, which are:

• Linksys E1200
  • Linksys E2500
  • Linksys WRVS4400N
  • Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072
  • Netgear DGN2200
  • Netgear R6400
  • Netgear R7000
  • Netgear R8000
  • Netgear WNR1000
  • Netgear WNR2000
  • QNAP TS251
  • QNAP TS439 Pro
  • Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software
  • TP-Link R600VPN

There's no easy way to know if a router has been infected by VPNFilter. For more advanced users, Cisco provided detailed indicators of compromise in Wednesday’s report, along with firewall rules that can be used to protect devices.

I don't have too much left to say at this point, but I hope this all gets patched soon.

Hope you all can stay safe.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/fbi-tells-router-users-to-reboot-now-to-kill-malware-infecting-500k-devices/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

And I thought cable modems were becoming the norm. Haven't bought a dedicated router for the past decade.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

And I thought cable modems were becoming the norm. Haven't bought a dedicated router for the past decade.

Are they? I honestly didn't know. I would imagine most people just use routers.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I guess you could consider mine a router too since it's those combined ones. The ones listed seem to just be the stand alone ones you can buy at BestBuy. Either way, doesn't effect me since mine is a Hitron. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

wow... glad I already employ the recommended security measures on my R7000. Still very worrying... I just went and looked for updated firmware and thankfully im on the latest, but still very worrying and concerning. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Why didn't I just buy an new Apple Time Capsule for my replacement router when my 4th Gen Time Capsule died? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The report said the malware was developed by hackers working for an advanced nation, possibly Russia

Sometimes I don't get it, it's like " If anything goes not according to plan, Blame RUSSIA, if that doesn't work, blame on Israel, and if that didn't work either, blame on male toxic masculinity, if any of it doesn't work, victim card is always working "

by Russia.

Wasn't China the #1 enemy of the US after the Cold War?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

15 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

All of my networking gear is retired enterprise gear or home built. Still pretty worrying stuff though

Me too. My R7000 now lives behind a pfSense tank.

tank.PNG.990eef364a85c15c8d04f0412ad02c60.PNG

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You can't connect to the internet with just a router.

There is always an ONT or modem that takes the signal cable and turns it into ethernet.

Sometimes a modem and router are combined into one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

33 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Sometimes I don't get it, it's like " If anything goes not according to plan, Blame RUSSIA, if that doesn't work, blame on Israel, and if that didn't work either, blame on male toxic masculinity, if any of it doesn't work, victim card is always working "

Well the warning does come from the FBI, and US intel agencies take any opportunity that they can to demonize US geopolitical rivals - even for allegedly doing the very things that those US intel agencies have been known to be doing for many years already -  just like we know from leaked CIA documents that the CIA has been mass-hacking hundreds of router models for many years.

Also, CIA documents leaked by WikiLeaks revealed that the CIA and NSA use Russian hacking tools and methods, and deliberately leave Russia-like traces in their hacks to make them appear to have been done by Russia (or China). So, maybe the FBI just detected a CIA hacking program.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/cia-created-toolkit-for-hacking-hundreds-of-routers-models/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/cia-has-been-hacking-into-wi-fi-routers-for-years-leaked-documents-show/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/advanced-cia-firmware-turns-home-routers-into-covert-listening-posts/

Though, sometimes the CIA goes for the more direct approach and intercepts shipments of modems and routers and implants hacked firmware in them before they even reach their destination:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Russia hacked my tree down.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I don't even have home internet let alone having any routers up. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The US releases information that says "An advanced nation, possibly Russia, made a virus" and we're expected to believe that? I guess we've forgotten about StuxNet or any of the EquationGroup (TAO) software...

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

i'm confused, if they don't know how they were infected, rebooting solves what? What prevents the "russians" from do it again?

one a person note i want to believe this is for real and not more Russia-US random craziness, but i'm gonna remain skeptical

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Cable routers are a thing with some companies like Comcast, meanwhile with other companies that give you a brand new router with decade old tech, (like Centurylink ) you really have to buy a router because 802.11n just isn't fast enough for my family's large arsenal of devices anymore.

Edited by Wh0_Am_1
Up way to late... Night!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Me too. My R7000 now lives behind a pfSense tank.

tank.PNG.990eef364a85c15c8d04f0412ad02c60.PNG

That‘s a King Tiger.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

EquationGroup (TAO) software

Sucks for that guy who took home a flash drive with the Equation virus

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Well the warning does come from the FBI, and US intel agencies take any opportunity that they can to demonize US geopolitical rivals

I think the report came first from Cisco's Talos and the FBI just issued a PSA following Cisco's report https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

Also, let's not ignore the fact that almost every first world nation conducts espionage on each other. While the US has indeed done a lot of cyberwarfare (e.g. Shadow Brokers GitHub dump, Equation, Stuxnet, etc), the Kremlin is guilty as well (e.g. Moonlight Maze, Turla, etc) and they do all of this to gather intelligence. Is it bad? Yes. However, there's nothing lay people can do about it. While there's currently a digital Geneva convention among tech companies, there's little these private companies can do to stop them from doing espionage on each other and it has been going decades ago until now.

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

The US releases information that says "An advanced nation, possibly Russia, made a virus" and we're expected to believe that? I guess we've forgotten about StuxNet or any of the EquationGroup (TAO) software...

We don't know for absolutely certain that Stuxnet was developed by an American entity, though it is widely believed to have been a collaboration between American and Israeli entities to safely destroy a Uranium refining facility so as to keep Nuclear weapons out of the hands of dangerous entities within Iran.

8 hours ago, Vode said:

That‘s a King Tiger.

Great, now hopefully it is much more dependable than a King Tiger, or Tiger II.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

We don't know for absolutely certain that Stuxnet was developed by an American entity, though it is widely believed to have been a collaboration between American and Israeli entities to safely destroy a Uranium refining facility so as to keep Nuclear weapons out of the hands of dangerous entities within Iran.

Well obviously. It was developed by No Such Agency. But the hard evidence is undeniable.

New York Times alludes to the matter.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

4 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Well obviously. It was developed by No Such Agency. But the hard evidence is undeniable.

New York Times alludes to the matter.

Interesting, but the only usable source listed is a book and they refer you to page 41. I'm sorry but out of all the major news publications, in recent years that is one of the ones I trust the least.. And as I stated earlier it is believed that it was developed by American and Israeli entities, but in reality there is no hard evidence at least none that I can find, just speculation easily faked reports on the matter. Do I think that it was some entities in the US and Israel? Yes. Am I certain? No. because there are a number of hacker groups that have done outlandishly impressive things before. Anyways let's bury the ax and get back to discussing tech and the like. 

Not that I own a susceptible model, but what does rebooting do here? Is the malware just in RAM or something and won't it just be infected again if it gets cleared? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The FBI has warned users to reboot their routers due to a malware attack allegedly unleashed by Russia So that we can gain access through our backdoor again.  /S

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini