Windows 10 update 1803 BRICK

1 hour ago, ADF said:

An update that bricks computers, pushed services on people and breaks large amounts of networks.  i think I've seen things similar on WAN before.  sorry if i posted in the wrong category, but all the links are there. 

Not Tech News. Moved to Windows

Also, VERY few people used Home Groups. You are just annoyed as you were the very few who did use it, and you are trying to make a big deal out of it.

Also, it brakes exactly 0 network, as HomeGroup is just a simple way to do network share which you can already do in Windows. They are many resources available for free online that you can read on how to setup a share folder properly within your network.

same happened to me so I ditched win 10 for good

I installed Windows 7 (just for 2 games) and Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (for the rest of stuff)

Removing homegroup was the worst they could do for ppl that own a NAS, big mistake, I also had to rollback my NAS to W7 because my shares were gone and using the "share folder" option was simply not the solution because even if the entire hard drive was shared the other computers will simply not recognize it anymore, 1803 worst update EVER.

If you still want 10... install LTSB

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, gabrielcarvfer said:

I agree with you. They should remove unused stuff, but they shouldn't remove features without replacing with something equivalent or better.

I'm not that sure people were really using. Most people didn't even know how to setup a homegroup. File sync services (OneDrive/Resilio/iCloud/etc) and Work Folders replaced pretty well most user case scenarios.

It was always there. Provided network discovery was activated, you'll see all systems on the same network under Network. Turn off password protected sharing then manually share the folders you want to expose onto the network. You can then right click the printer you want, select Connect... and the printer will be installed (again, provided the printer is set to release jobs from network and host has the needed drivers). 

image.png.8ce1bf6ac9fa05ef9274f04c3d60d745.png

I've personally never had any luck with Homegroups. Especially when you have systems spanning multiple OSes. At one point I had a machine on XP, one on 7, and another on 8. omegroup rarely worked between Windows 7 and 8, and for XP... well it was hopeless for obvious reasons (never had the Homegroups feature). 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Not Tech News. Moved to Windows

Also, VERY few people used Home Groups. You are just annoyed as you were the very few who did use it, and you are trying to make a big deal out of it.

Also, it brakes exactly 0 network, as HomeGroup is just a simple way to do network share which you can already do in Windows. They are many resources available for free online that you can read on how to setup a share folder properly within your network.

i have tried literally everything i can find, PLEASE im begging for a fix.  if you read my entire post.  i wasn't even using homegroup to begin with, i CAN NOT gain access to anything that is "shared" over my network.

HTPC (Main System): 9600k @ 4.4GHz |   RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC | SAMSUNG 970 Pro 512GB boot | SAMSUNG 860 EEVO 1TB | 65 inch TV @ 1080P 120htz

NAS: 8TB Synology

Laptop1: ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo | i9-9980HK | RTX 2060 | 1TB PCIe SSD

Laptop2: HP SpectreFolio | i7-8500Y

Bedroom PC: ACEPC AK1 | 500GB HDD | 50 inch TV @ 60htz

54 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It was always there. Provided network discovery was activated, you'll see all systems on the same network under Network. Turn off password protected sharing then manually share the folders you want to expose onto the network. You can then right click the printer you want, select Connect... and the printer will be installed (again, provided the printer is set to release jobs from network and host has the needed drivers). 

image.png.8ce1bf6ac9fa05ef9274f04c3d60d745.png

I've personally never had any luck with Homegroups. Especially when you have systems spanning multiple OSes. At one point I had a machine on XP, one on 7, and another on 8. omegroup rarely worked between Windows 7 and 8, and for XP... well it was hopeless for obvious reasons (never had the Homegroups feature). 

i don't think you read everything.  i wasn't using homegroup to begin with, after the update my PCs vanished, NONE of the settings in the network and sharing center change that, nor do they allow me to access shared drives.  this isn't some pointless post.

HTPC (Main System): 9600k @ 4.4GHz |   RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC | SAMSUNG 970 Pro 512GB boot | SAMSUNG 860 EEVO 1TB | 65 inch TV @ 1080P 120htz

whatever, nobody ever reads the whole thing.  I should be able to access my files on all my computers without the homegroup like i did before.  but can't.  the network settings seem to do nothing for me anymore and I NEVER USED THE HOMEGROUP TO BEGIN WITH!