Windows 10 update 1803 BRICK

Where to start,

The new update is bricking some computers and pretty much rotting everyone's home and small business networks.  Mine included!!  The update is removing homegroup (an easy way to set up file sharing and networks) among some other changes that can be seen here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features Although i din't use homegroup i was rendered incapable of being able to access and share my drives and files from PC to PC.  The update made all of my PCs undiscoverable in the network tab in file explorer and even when i found a way to fix that, i was unable to gain access to said PCs, folders, and drives (even from the computer the files are stored on) through the network window.  I am unable to map to them, the options in the network and sharing center seem to be just rhetorical now, and after individually going to drives, folders, files and changing sharing settings to full access for "everyone", and doing the same in network ad sharing center I am still unable to access my files from the network. 

Microsoft is trying to push the use of their cloud service through this update.  The update has bricked a number of computers https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/05/24/windows-10-april-2018-update-bricks-pcs-and-microsoft-shares-workaround/

Microsoft has said " Instead of using HomeGroup, you can now share printers, files and folders by using features that are built into Windows 10" but this simply isn't true until i can find a fix that doesn't mean using the cloud or email..  yeah email is one of their other options.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027674/windows-10-share-files-in-file-explorer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4092694/windows-10-changes-to-file-sharing-over-a-network

The above links say that shared folders will still remain shared but that simply isn't true..  My entire computers were rendered not discoverable and the update changed all of my sharing settings, then on top of that made it impossible for me to restore my sharing capability even though i hadn't been using homegroup.  i found some helpful links that guieded me through getting the PC to show up in network again, but still can't access shared folders and files even from the same PC.  I have posted to a microsoft hosted forum asking for help and will update on fixes if i get any.  forum post to follow

Hello,

I recently updated my home PCs with the 1803 windows update and am unable to access previously shared files and folders from computer to computer.  I was not using a "homegroup" there was no need to use one, but after the update my settings in the network and sharing center seem to be there for no reason at all.  I have tried mapping to each computer and the shared folders.  I have tried resetting the networks, renaming the PCs and folders, and workgroups, changing the sharing settings, and have exhausted every option i could think to gain access to my folders from other computers.  even when i map to a shared folder or drive i get the error code 0x80070035 and after troubleshooting, the problem found states "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection".  How can microsoft just break every home and small business network?  People aren't going to use the cloud service.  Sharing folders and homegroups aren't outdated, Microsoft's tactics are....  i am very frustrated with this.  I feel that i am fairly computer savvy but i am admittedly at a loss for solutions to this network bricking update.  PLEASE HELP!  I shouldn't be forced to upload my terabytes of data and files to a cloud service so i can access them from computer to computer.  trying to work with HDR video that way is a nightmare!!!

In the meantime i am asking for help here...

HTPC (Main System): 9600k @ 4.4GHz |   RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC | SAMSUNG 970 Pro 512GB boot | SAMSUNG 860 EEVO 1TB | 65 inch TV @ 1080P 120htz

NAS: 8TB Synology

Laptop1: ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo | i9-9980HK | RTX 2060 | 1TB PCIe SSD

Laptop2: HP SpectreFolio | i7-8500Y

Bedroom PC: ACEPC AK1 | 500GB HDD | 50 inch TV @ 60htz

Forgot to post the site with some fixes for the update.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-april-2018-update-common-problems-and-fixes

HTPC (Main System): 9600k @ 4.4GHz |   RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC | SAMSUNG 970 Pro 512GB boot | SAMSUNG 860 EEVO 1TB | 65 inch TV @ 1080P 120htz

bump

1 minute ago, ADF said:

bump

I had a similar issue but, that was caused by my VPN. Somehow the "Invisibility on LAN" option got turned on after updating to 1803.

Do you use any VPN?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Have you tried using the command line to create a share? I'm sure your computer still has an IP, lol, so that should work, look for the "net share" command. I don't have a Windows computer with me rn, otherwise I could give you a more precise description 

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

I do use a VPN, I still have TunnelBear.  Bought the year subscription before "the breakup" where is the Invisibility option?  I have been able to get the PC and shared folders to show up in the network by enabling some services in "services.msc" that were turned off from the update.  I am still unable to access them from ANY computer.  i'll wait for the command line info if you would be willing to post a more descriptive tutorial for me.  lets just say i'm entry level computer smart.  NOT an expert by any means.  Willing to take any help i can get.

This is not Tech News. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

They should totally have done something like Apple AirDrop. It works just fine and solves most problems people had with network storage.

If they've overpaid to have all Apple stuff.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

They should totally have done something like Apple AirDrop. It works just fine and solves most problems people had with network storage.

I'm not familiar with apple computers, but air drop on my iphone is just sending files from one device to another right?  I'm looking to be able to access, read/write all files stored on drives in one computer, from a different computer at any given time.

4 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

After 7 years since Mac OS X Lion, Windows 10 now has something similar to AirDrop . 

Screenshot (71).png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

This is not Tech News. 

An update that bricks computers, pushed services on people and breaks large amounts of networks.  i think I've seen things similar on WAN before.  sorry if i posted in the wrong category, but all the links are there. 

10 minutes ago, ADF said:

I do use a VPN, I still have TunnelBear.  Bought the year subscription before "the breakup" where is the Invisibility option?  I have been able to get the PC and shared folders to show up in the network by enabling some services in "services.msc" that were turned off from the update.  I am still unable to access them from ANY computer.  i'll wait for the command line info if you would be willing to post a more descriptive tutorial for me.  lets just say i'm entry level computer smart.  NOT an expert by any means.  Willing to take any help i can get.

I don't see an option like that in TunnelBear so, that's probably not your issue. (I use NordVPN)

Maybe you could look around or just reset your Firewall settings. I saw that being suggested when I was looking around for a fix.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

22 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I don't see an option like that in TunnelBear so, that's probably not your issue. (I use NordVPN)

Maybe you could look around or just reset your Firewall settings. I saw that being suggested when I was looking around for a fix.

Just tried that, no dice.  Even from the same computer to drives in this computer through the network.

Oh, finally, but still, pretty weird when you don't have that button on context menu or a specific folder for that, just like on Mac OS. 

On Windows you have to right click on the file. But I agree the Mac implementation is still better.

elcapitan-airdrop-progress-sending.jpgelcapitan-airdrop-share-sheet.jpg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 minutes ago, ADF said:

An update that bricks computers, pushed services on people and breaks large amounts of networks.  i think I've seen things similar on WAN before.  sorry if i posted in the wrong category, but all the links are there. 

You'll want to follow the guidelines to ensure that your thread stays in this sub-forum. 

You need to add your source's texts into a quote box. 

Like this. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Yup, that's basically it, it's enough for most people, and as they're removing other stuff, would make sense to replace with something easier.

Did you try Settings->Network->Ethernet|Wifi, click on network name and set as private? Other than that, the only thing I think that may have caused your problems other than homegroup is that SMB1/CIFS is now disabled by default.

Oh, finally, but still, pretty weird when you don't have that button on context menu or a specific folder for that, just like on Mac OS. 

I've enabled them already, tried it...

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You'll want to follow the guidelines to ensure that your thread stays in this sub-forum. 

You need to add your source's texts into a quote box. 

Oh! haha i literally posted quotes from the sources in "quotations" but not the whole articles. That's a lot.  other than that, i read it and it still seemed fine.

Then Settings->Network->Status->Sharing Options->All Networks->Turn off password protected sharing.

yeah, those settings don't seem to do anything anymore...  even when turning on netowork discoverability it didn't show the PC and everything else.  it's not going to be a basic fix.  Iv'e tried plugging it in "so to speak" haha

2 minutes ago, ADF said:

Oh! haha i literally posted quotes from the sources in "quotations" but not the whole articles. That's a lot.  other than that, i read it and it still seemed fine.

They have to be placed inside the boxes for posterity. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

What is it with Microsoft and removing features? First it's turning PCs into tablets, now it's removing sharing features...

it's time

They're in a rush to include new features and are breaking/removing whatever they don't really care. Apple seems to have done the same with iOS and Mac with their rush to replace everything with Swift.

I think that's a poor decision. They can add stuff, I don't care, I don't have to use it, but don't remove shit. I mean, that's moving backwards.

it's time

16 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I think that's a poor decision. They can add stuff, I don't care, I don't have to use it, but don't remove shit. I mean, that's moving backwards.

If you don't remove stuff that most people don't use, your OS will become bloated and unmanageable. This applies to even APIs, Java for instance has had many methods deprecated over the years. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If you don't remove stuff that most people don't use, your OS will become bloated and unmanageable. This applies to even APIs, Java for instance has had many methods deprecated over the years. 

But this is something a lot of people clearly were using.

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

But this is something a lot of people clearly were using.

And clearly that wasn't enough to justify letting it be. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580