Apple's support for the iMac Pro is below par, according to Quinn Nelson

D13H4RD
5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

$400 HP pc was

Well there's your problem :P. Not to shame people for buying cheap or anything but hey, you get what you pay for.

Just now, leadeater said:

Well there's your problem :P. Not to shame people for buying cheap or anything but hey, you get what you pay for.

it was intended for school students and general home use, email, word and basic web surfing.  nothing else. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Maybe it's time for Apple's board to fire their current CEO?

Highly unlikely that they’ll come to that because Apple under Tim is making good money.

The only reason they’d ask him to resign is if Apple makes a single flop that’s so bad, the company’s financial health goes down the craphole

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Here’s an update 

He went back to the Apple Store and they offered him 2 solutions 

1) Do a replacement of the rear shell

2) A complete replacement unit 

He opted for the latter

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

For those of you saying "If they used stainless steel screws, this wouldn't be an issue!":

Stainless steel, while it's stronger than zinc, doesn't mix well with aluminum and would damage the iMac Pro itself, which is a greater risk to your $5000 computer than a screw breaking (even though that's shitty). Zinc, while it's softer than stainless steel, does mix well with aluminum. Because of the material the iMac Pro is made of, Apple has no choice but to use the cheaper, more fragile zinc screws for the VESA mount. Basically, Apple needs to stop using aluminum if they want to use stronger screws.

That all being said, this level of support for a $5000 prosumer computer is unacceptable.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

2) A complete replacement unit 

He opted for the latter

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Well everyone's favourite New Yorker is all over it. Skipped ahead to the good bit for you. The first few minutes was just them watching the video.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

~snip~

Yep, he did

Because after that shoddy repair work, there's no way I'd opt for a replacement back cover. I'd rather just get a complete replacement and be done with it

1 hour ago, NowakVulpix said:

For those of you saying "If they used stainless steel screws, this wouldn't be an issue!":

Stainless steel, while it's stronger than zinc, doesn't mix well with aluminum and would damage the iMac Pro itself, which is a greater risk to your $5000 computer than a screw breaking (even though that's shitty). Zinc, while it's softer than stainless steel, does mix well with aluminum. Because of the material the iMac Pro is made of, Apple has no choice but to use the cheaper, more fragile zinc screws for the VESA mount. Basically, Apple needs to stop using aluminum if they want to use stronger screws.

That all being said, this level of support for a $5000 prosumer computer is unacceptable.

yep, zinc plated screws should easily be strong enough for this application though.  I am surprised they sheared the way they did.  I would be putting money on cheap Chinese second grade steel. Using stainless anywhere near the sea or in a damp area will make the back of your pc look like an old steel tug boat.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

from the company telling you that all third party repair shops are incompetent fools who shouldn't come near their products with a screw and that only their own tech team should be relied upon

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

valid opinion too.  I wonder how many people who buy phones actually think about security. 

I think you would be suprised, a lot more peps than 5yrs ago. 

Quote me so I can reply <3

12 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

HP laptops are straight out of garbage can..... maybe that was long time ago, now it is better, but still.... 

That's true of every budget option from every OEM. Apple included.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Quick Update: Quinn has been given a new machine and someone at Apple has contacted him to ship his VESA mount back to Apple for testing. His entire conversation with instore managers is included in the description.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

Quick Update: Quinn has been given a new machine and someone at Apple has contacted him to ship his VESA mount back to Apple for testing. His entire conversation with instore managers is included in the description.

For being managers at a "Genius Bar" they really didn't seem that professional. They were filling in the missing details with excuses/lies, instead of just apologizing and providing solutions.

The worst part is that one of them knew the condition the iMac Pro was in, and still let the customer walk out with it.

Glad to see that Apple replaced his machine, as they should have!

Watching the video now to see exactly what Apple has to say. 

Hopefully Tim Cook lit a fire under someone's ass over the bad PR. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hopefully Tim Cook lit a fire under someone's ass over the bad PR. 

Probably the one who either made the VESA mount or the one who approved it

the amount of hate apple is getting at this forum is so staggering this is me after reading some of the posts here :

Spoiler

5b12af471e7e3_myeyes.jpg.3251a697977560a5d17dac682b678184.jpg

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

17 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

the amount of hate apple is getting at this forum is so staggering this is me after reading some of the posts here :

Reveal hidden contents

Isnt the purpose of forums to hate on bad things and encourage good things? 

(That and maybe answering some questions)

Applaud at replacing iMac. Then overlook that and then continue disliking due to the original issue.

24 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

Reveal hidden contents

I am personally not hating on the company. I'm upset at the quality of customer service Quinn received for a $5,000 product.

21 minutes ago, Shadestones said:

I am personally not hating on the company. I'm upset at the quality of customer service Quinn received for a $5,000 product.

True. Anyone who spent THAT much money deserve to get their machine 100% work and running. 

Hell, even you don't get a machine that cost that much, you expect it to work and you expect the people who are selling you that machine knows what they are talking, what they are doing. But apple failed to deliver that. Anyone would be upset. As a lot of people mentioned from the previous topic where linus's machine cannot be fixed by apple, apple just being apple and shipped the machine where a lot of the dust havent been settled . a.k.a how to properly fix those machines etc etc.

24 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Isnt the purpose of forums to hate on bad things and encourage good things? 

(That and maybe answering some questions)

Applaud at replacing iMac. Then overlook that and then continue disliking due to the original issue.

I forgot to put the /s at the end of my comment. 

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

16 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

I forgot to put the /s at the end of my comment. 

dont care. i felt some /s in your comment, but i thought i mention my thing anyway

on a side note... I just went to apple store and replaced my 2017 macbook pro's keyboard. 

LOL. 

And the new ones are not as sticky as the old ones when the machine is heating, and I can even say that it is not sticky at all. 

Not just the key that was originally stuck, but the whole keyboard is not getting stuck when the machine is under 100% fan speed. (a.k.a pretty hot)

Hopefully this can last me for a long time. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

on a side note... I just went to apple store and replaced my 2017 macbook pro's keyboard. 

LOL. 

And the new ones are not as sticky as the old ones when the machine is heating, and I can even say that it is not sticky at all. 

Not just the key that was originally stuck, but the whole keyboard is not getting stuck when the machine is under 100% fan speed. (a.k.a pretty hot)

Hopefully this can last me for a long time. 

A lot of it comes down to luck -- like any customer support. I had an issue with ebay the other day. I ordered something and it was supposed to include a free google home mini if ordered by the 20th. I placed the order on the 18th, but because the "seller" didn't process the payment until the 21st I was not eligible for the Google Home. On top of that, the representative's suggestion was to not worry as there will always be other promotions for future purchases. I had to spend a half hour before I actually managed to get the credit to buy a Google Home. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.