Apple's support for the iMac Pro is below par, according to Quinn Nelson

D13H4RD
2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That's what the first minute of his video was all about. You even linked it as a status update lol

Doesn't mean I heard that specific line. I'm often doing many things at once. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

How is it that half if not all employees involved with repair haven't been trained to work on iMac Pros yet?
Its not like apple has 500 different computers and the iMac Pro is this one obscure PC from 10 years ago. Its a top of the line business machine, that Apple doesn't want you, or the IT guy at the business working on.
The more I think about it, it really starts to feel like Apple is being paranoid at teaching their own employees about this one product. I mean so few people are trained to fix it? Ive heard that there is no proper documentation on the thing?
What are they afraid if they make a proper service manual that they won't hold a monopoly on repairing this thing?

As for the whole "Its an OEM part not made by Apple, so call the OEM about issues" - Thats describes the whole Computer!
Motherboard issue? Apple didn't make the motherboard. Call Foxconn. GPU issues? Don't call Apple, call AMD. exc
Even then nowhere on Apple's website does it say the VESA Mount kit is a 3rd party accessory. It looks just as official as the "Magic Mouse 2" and "Magic Trackpad 2"

2 hours ago, Sypran said:

How is it that half if not all employees involved with repair haven't been trained to work on iMac Pros yet?

I do not believe that Apple plans on keeping the iMac Pro around for long. No point in spending all that money training your employees how to fix a product that will be phased out as soon as the Mac Pro comes out. 

Doesn't make it right, but that is the only possible reason I see that makes sense. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

not while android is a big pile of shit to transition to.

And before people try to tell me this is wrong.  The reason ios is easier for the average person to use is because it has  less options and is more tightly controlled (less to go wrong and clutter the settings with).  You being a tech fan might prefer android for this reason, But you can bet your arse the average house wife just wants her facebook to work.

Ez of use is not the most important factor, i think security. For non-techy person it is much safer to use, if you have like idk how much iPSE or iP6, it is better to buy it for ur mom, or ur stupid brother than buy then android, witch can be easly hacked or spyed by some random app from play stor, and i know it is possible on iphone too. But targeting any iphone user requires a lot of effort, but targeting ANY android device and hoping that its user is non techy have like 50% chance of success and it is fairly easy. And then instaling some ransomware is as easy as pie. 

Quote me so I can reply <3

There is a silver lining to all this bad PR about the iMac Pro. So far all instances of bad support for the iMac Pro have not been because the iMac Pro itself is faulty or has a design flaw. If you just bought an iMac Pro and plopped it on your desk, you will probably have nothing to worry about. 

Quinn's is an interesting case. He took it to an Apple store like he should have and the Geniuses tried to service the machine, but just made things worse because they did not recognize, or at least could not remedy, that the issue was with the screws in the VESA kit being absolutely shit tier. 

Hopefully Apple will recall the VESA adapter kit and replace the Zinc screws with Steel ones. 

I would also say that Quinn deserves a new chassis for his iMac Pro since Apple damaged it, not Quinn. Though I doubt Quinn would pressure Apple for it. 

41 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No point in spending all that money training your employees how to fix a product that will be phased out as soon as the Mac Pro comes out. 

If an employee can't fix it, then don't try to do it. Also, a broken screw isn't a iMac pro exclusive possible fail.

16 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Come to think of it, don't companies like Dell and HP have a separate support line for enterprise products? 

Yup, and dealing with them when I was a tech at a local shop was also great. They would just send their certified technicians into my shop to get a warrantied product fixed. No questions if we had tampered with it, or broke something. When I bought my XPS 15 last year, it was fine, till the mobo broke last month, and they sent over their tech to my house and he fixed the machine with a new board. I am very picky about workmanship on my expensive stuff, and the guy didn't leave a single scratch to my machine. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

3 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

Yup, and dealing with them when I was a tech at a local shop was also great. They would just send their certified technicians into my shop to get a warrantied product fixed. No questions if we had tampered with it, or broke something. When I bought my XPS 15 last year, it was fine, till the mobo broke last month, and they sent over their tech to my house and he fixed the machine with a new board. I am very picky about workmanship on my expensive stuff, and the guy didn't leave a single scratch to my machine. 

"but you can't go to a Dell store and get it fixed"

1 minute ago, IgorM said:

"but you can't go to a Dell store and get it fixed"

Lol, Going to their store is ridiculous because its always crowded. Getting a tech to come to you is like ordering something from Amazon compared to getting it from Wal-mart. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

18 hours ago, mr moose said:

On topic,  Apple: the only computer company in the world that can't fix their own product.

We had some Lenovo laptops go missing for 3 months when sent off to repair, when they "tracked down where they were" and got them fixed and back to us they were brand new units of a newer model than was sent away..... no idea where our laptops went and it's a good thing we didn't need the data on them. Forget what was wrong with them but it was fairly trivial.

41 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

HP will fix anything no questions asked, basically to the point of dropping it on the ground and running over it with a car they'll still fix it under warranty. We had someone close the lid with a pen on the keyboard and it busted the screen, fixed at no charge.

5 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Steve Jobs probably would've handled Apple's recent fiascoes better compared to Tim Cook. (iOS 11, macOS High Sierra security holes, crappy butterfly keyboard, iMac Pro VESA mount, not so secure Face ID, etc)

Maybe it's time for Apple's board to fire their current CEO?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

You need a reason to fire a CEO.

Tim Cook is the CEO that has made Apple more profitable than it ever has been before, expanded Apple into new markets, and essentially invented a few product categories. 

Tim Cook has been Apples best CEO. Sure he didn’t announce the original Macintosh, but nostalgia points don’t count in the corporate scene. 

16 hours ago, Gawron10001 said:

I was about to post it.

The shit coming out of apple is finally hitting them hard, Linus video, now him, the whole thing that they knew that iPhone 6 will bend, I'm really curious if people will ever stop buying apple products

If it ever spreads to the entire Apple product lineup, perhaps. 

As it stands, these appear to be problems limited to certain products. I myself bought the 6s+ and was thus spared the whole bendgate fiasco. I myself got an iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, Apple Watch and AirPods in 2016 alone and they are still working very well for me. Not saying those issues aren’t legitimate, just that they haven’t affected me due to my own product choices. 

I feel that as long as Apple products continue to offer a great user experience (for most part), people will still buy them. Personally, I see little reason to stop using Apple products (yet). 

38 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

In terms of profits (you know, the stuff boards are into), Tim Cook is in a better position than Steve ever was. In terms of public image, well Tim never had the charisma that Steve had, nor does he have the better track record as you've described.

Which side is ultimately more important? Well of course the board side. Apple is a business. And they don't need to give two shits about their customers as long as the money keeps flowing in and their board and investors are happy.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, Gawron10001 said:

Ez of use is not the most important factor, i think security. For non-techy person it is much safer to use, if you have like idk how much iPSE or iP6, it is better to buy it for ur mom, or ur stupid brother than buy then android, witch can be easly hacked or spyed by some random app from play stor, and i know it is possible on iphone too. But targeting any iphone user requires a lot of effort, but targeting ANY android device and hoping that its user is non techy have like 50% chance of success and it is fairly easy. And then instaling some ransomware is as easy as pie. 

valid opinion too.  I wonder how many people who buy phones actually think about security. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, abazigal said:

I feel that as long as Apple products continue to offer a great user experience (for most part), people will still buy them. Personally, I see little reason to stop using Apple products (yet).

Which is something the media likes to forget. Stories about how satisfied owners are with their iPhones never make the news, only when something goes a little bad do things get a lot of attention. 

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

We had some Lenovo laptops go missing for 3 months when sent off to repair, when they "tracked down where they were" and got them fixed and back to us they were brand new units of a newer model than was sent away..... no idea where our laptops went and it's a good thing we didn't need the data on them. Forget what was wrong with them but it was fairly trivial.

3 months is shit, but new laptops and the ability to find out what went wrong and fix it  without blaming oems and 3rd parties is still one up on apple at the moment.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

3 months is shit, but new laptops and the ability to find out what went wrong and fix it  without blaming oems and 3rd parties is still one up on apple at the moment.

Heck Dell even sends an actual technician for onsite repairs if you're a enterprise customer. Actually saw one taking apart a system in my CS lab. That's service for your pro users. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

that, I strongly disagree.

I think that by all count, Tim Cook is the best CEO apple can have and did an amazing job when it comes to leading apple.

I think he is doing a great job. 

But then again, a lot of people who use apple since long time ago said : "yeah.. if you think high sierra is a fuck up, you didnt know XXXXX " what they meant was that when it comes to OS, apple just like other company fucked things up before, and this is not the 1st time, and this is definitely not the worst time either. 

but now apple is under the spot light, so... everyone likes to spit on them. 

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

HP will fix anything no questions asked, basically to the point of dropping it on the ground and running over it with a car they'll still fix it under warranty. We had someone close the lid with a pen on the keyboard and it busted the screen, fixed at no charge.

HP laptops are straight out of garbage can..... maybe that was long time ago, now it is better, but still.... 

17 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

HP laptops are straight out of garbage can..... maybe that was long time ago, now it is better, but still.... 

Their business line has pretty much always been fine, the EliteBook G1 and G2 weren't great plus that whole battery swelling thing (no kidding battery on the back is a better design HP >.<). Never used a non business HP laptop myself, and you won't get that kind of support I mentioned for one that isn't.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Their business line has pretty much always been fine, the EliteBook G1 and G2 weren't great plus that whole battery swelling thing (no kidding battery on the back is a better design HP >.<). Never used a non business HP laptop myself.

I have,  they aren't bad. just the same as all the rest really.  I think brands like HP get a bad name on forums like these because we are enthusiasts and expect more than what is fair.  We sometimes forget that HP, like many companies, make a gradient of products for different price ranges and that has to be considered when comparing a $2600 product to a $800 product.

I'll never forget the thread where someone posted a carey holzman video of an anti Hp rant, it was a 45mintue rant about how shit this $400 HP pc was.  this forum went nuts jumping on the hate bandwagon and nobody stopped to consider it was simply a basic pc with everything including 24/7 phone support.  No one could even build a comparable pc for close to that price yet everyone was convinced it was shit,  why? because it was HP.