PS3 - Restore Defualt Settings

computerdummy

Okay so.

I bought a second hand PS3 and when I turned it on it showed this messge “the file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored”, I hit “x” as requested and it would load up to 100% restart and do the whole thing over agin. So following the directions from a video on YouTube I decided to restore it to its default settings through the “secret menu”. Anyway, this was about 24 hours ago, and I realized that I did not hook it up via LAN to my internet. I know by tuning it off now I risk damage to the hard drive. So is the PS3 capable of restoring to the default settings without a internet connection? If not what should I do next? It’s been on the same screen since I started it. 

2EB4503A-00BB-4356-BED3-70FAFC1528C8.jpeg

Sounds like you got screwed. You could try returning it or getting another HDD for it. I'm not an expert, but it shouldn't require internet connection to format a HDD.

24 minutes ago, computerdummy said:

Okay so.

I bought a second hand PS3 and when I turned it on it showed this messge “the file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored”,

That's strange.

It shouldn't do that.

And what you are talking about sounds like a Super Slim with an added Hard Drive..

Pls look at the Back and there should be a CECH Number. Something like CECH-4001B, CECH-4004A

Pls tell us what it is.

I hit “x” as requested and it would load up to 100% restart and do the whole thing over agin.

We need more infos.

If you do not have a PS3 Super Slim, you might need a USB Drive with the Update File.

AFAIR you need to download the special one for a new installation (google it, you get to a Sony Playstation Site and scroll down, there is a Link for a new Install Download (for the 3 its something around 200MiB)

So following the directions from a video on YouTube I decided to restore it to its default settings through the “secret menu”. Anyway, this was about 24 hours ago, and I realized that I did not hook it up via LAN to my internet. I know by tuning it off now I risk damage to the hard drive. So is the PS3 capable of restoring to the default settings without a internet connection? If not what should I do next? It’s been on the same screen since I started it. 

YOu do not need Internet for that.

But we need to know what PS3 you are refering to....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's strange.

It shouldn't do that.

And what you are talking about sounds like a Super Slim with an added Hard Drive..

Pls look at the Back and there should be a CECH Number. Something like CECH-4001B, CECH-4004A

Pls tell us what it is.

We need more infos.

If you do not have a PS3 Super Slim, you might need a USB Drive with the Update File.

AFAIR you need to download the special one for a new installation (google it, you get to a Sony Playstation Site and scroll down, there is a Link for a new Install Download (for the 3 its something around 200MiB)

YOu do not need Internet for that.

But we need to know what PS3 you are refering to....

It is a CECH-2501A

5 minutes ago, computerdummy said:

It is a CECH-2501A

So a 160GB Slim (newer type, should be safer from PSN Bans)

What  does it say when you switch it on? Does it say "connect controller via Cable"? What's after that?
Can you post a Pic of that?

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

So a 160GB Slim (newer type, should be safer from PSN Bans)

What  does it say when you switch it on? Does it say "connect controller via Cable"? What's after that?
Can you post a Pic of that?

When I turned it on originally it had that corrupt file message. Right now I’m in the midst of that restore default settings image I posted.

I don’t want to restart and risk damaging the hard drive. 

1 minute ago, computerdummy said:

When I turned it on originally it had that corrupt file message. Right now I’m in the midst of that restore default settings image I posted.

I don’t want to restart and risk damaging the hard drive. 

You said that it's running for 24h, didn't you?!

It shouldn't take that long....

And with a hard reset you usually don't damage the drive, just the data at most...

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You said that it's running for 24h, didn't you?!

It shouldn't take that long....

And with a hard reset you usually don't damage the drive, just the data at most...

Okay. It did the same thing again. 

IMG_0150.jpg

If the file system can't be restored, then the hard drive is screwed and will need replacing.

Also, if you do replace the hard drive you will need to download the latest PS3 firmware and put it on a USB drive as there are elements that are installed on the hard drive plus the drive has to be formatted and encrypted for use with that PS3.