Advice on Windows 10 purchase

Ziggzu
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
20 minutes ago, Ziggzu said:

Thanks for the reply, I think I get it now, so OEM is 1-use but it will stay valid as long as you don't try to deactivate it and re activate on another machine (it will no longer be valid) but a FPP (Retail) can be used on any machine and moved at any time but only 1 simultaneously?

Yup.

And don't worry about me manning up and buying the proper one; my intention was never to buy a shady/distrusted key for Windows. So this here from a store I have bought from before is the correct FPP (Retail) key that will work on any 1 machine simultaneously, and IS transferrable in the future if required (e.g to a new storage space?)

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/619985/Microsoft-Windows-10-Home-Retail-3264-Bit-Flash-Drive

Thanks in advance.

Just making sure. There are some cheap people out there. I admit that I have OEM copy, but at least I paid full price of €90 for it back in 2010.

Both OEM and retail will be fine with changing most part. Its the motherboard that matters. The linked one is just right. It will be valid for 1 PC at the time for as long as you wish to use it. Even when MS finally pulls the plug and stops security updates.

Last, if there's next time possibility to register key for free upgrade, I can recommend doing some research on conditions. I also thought that it would mean I have to change OS right away. Instead I did register key and turned all automatic updates off. I had the right to upgrade reserved for 1.5 years until this January when I finally moved from Win7 to Win10.

Hi all, I am looking to upgrade my laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and for whatever reason I can no longer do it "free" as it was offered and I didn't want to do it at the time. Basically I live in Western Australia and I want to get a legit copy (lifetime) edition of Windows 10. Nearby stores offer Windows 10 for about $190.00 (143 USD) and that seems a lot to pay, even for a legit version. I have seen the terms "OEM" "Home edition" "Full" etc but I am just looking for the full windows 10 home edition.

Also it needs to come with a USB and/or CD

I would like to also know about how the versions work e.g unlimited installs/PCs since I've seen some as 1pc (1 license)

For example I'm fairly sure I've ordered my replacement SSD from this store and maybe this one is the one I'm looking for?

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32775?utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

Sorry for the messy/long sentence stucture and thanks in advance!

Hey there! If you want me to to reply please use: @Ziggzu so I see it!

That's interesting, until rather recently (a few months ago) they were still offering the free upgrade, even though officially it ended years ago

And yes, $190 does sound like quite a lot.  I don't think it's supposed to be that much...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well what happened when I did the install is it downloaded everything but then corrupted or something right before it finished upgrading to windows 10 :( The problem is I don't have the license key for that windows 8 version either which is why I have to buy another.

I'm all for doing stuff legit but they really don't make it tempting...

Did you try Windows Media Creation Tool? There is an option to upgrade for free

Also, you can buy a key on AllKeyShop for about ~10$

@Ziggzu

If you download a windows 10 ISO and perform an in-place upgrade, does it activate after install? I have a feeling it probably will. Once it activates, you can do a clean install and not use a key, and it'll activate automatically once it connects to the internet.

I'd recommend doing a system image backup, and then trying the upgrade. Who knows, you may get lucky and not have to spend anything. 

If you have a Linux machine or a mac you can download the iso directly from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO, otherwise if you go to that link on a Windows machine it'll redirect you to the media creation tool. The MCT lets you download an iso too, it's just an extra step.

I think this is at least worth trying if you definitely want to/need to upgrade to Windows 10.

I'll just leave this here.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

On 5/25/2018 at 1:07 PM, Ziggzu said:

Hi all, I am looking to upgrade my laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and for whatever reason I can no longer do it "free" as it was offered and I didn't want to do it at the time. Basically I live in Western Australia and I want to get a legit copy (lifetime) edition of Windows 10. Nearby stores offer Windows 10 for about $190.00 (143 USD) and that seems a lot to pay, even for a legit version. I have seen the terms "OEM" "Home edition" "Full" etc but I am just looking for the full windows 10 home edition.

Also it needs to come with a USB and/or CD

I would like to also know about how the versions work e.g unlimited installs/PCs since I've seen some as 1pc (1 license)

For example I'm fairly sure I've ordered my replacement SSD from this store and maybe this one is the one I'm looking for?

Sorry for the messy/long sentence stucture and thanks in advance!

Up until recently from what I've heard, it was still possible to upgrade to Windows 10 by doing a fresh install of the OS and then activating using your previous Windows 7/8/8.1 key, even if you've missed out on the GWX app. Looks like Microsoft finally pulled the plug on this not publically known upgrade path. 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's interesting, until rather recently (a few months ago) they were still offering the free upgrade, even though officially it ended years ago

And yes, $190 does sound like quite a lot.  I don't think it's supposed to be that much...

I guess it's dependent on region. It costs 165 CAD for us in Canada from the official Microsoft site, which is 10 bucks more after conversion than the 119 USD price on the American site. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Ziggzu said:

Well what happened when I did the install is it downloaded everything but then corrupted or something right before it finished upgrading to windows 10 :( The problem is I don't have the license key for that windows 8 version either which is why I have to buy another.

I'm all for doing stuff legit but they really don't make it tempting...

Starting with Windows 8 (iirc, but 10 definitely does this), the license is recorded and tied to your hardware, so you should be able to reinstall without needing to know or manually enter the key.  You could also try just installing 10.  Perhaps the free upgrade has not been discontinued after all.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thanks all for the replies. The main issues I face are that

1. I don't think I'm going to be able to find the windows 8 key and

2. My current laptop drive (HDD) is failing so it needs to be replaced with the SSD I bought.

Having windows 8 on the new SSD would be fine but if it's not really possible without the code since I don't know how to transfer the files I'm thinking it may be easier to get a lifetime Windows 10 home DVD/USB so It would guarantee it working and I could re install it as much as I want.

Are all windows 10's that come with a DVD/USB unlimited/lifetime installs, for example this one?

Thanks.

I think Microsoft ditch the old model of FPP

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/windows-10-fpp-or-dsp/564c8104-c8fd-4730-ba26-28b3fe68a93e

Microsoft dictate the customer are they eligible for another activation on to another machine, Linus made the video back way then for his benchmark machine and he's no longer eligible after 5 activation.

I never seen any online store that claim you can activate unlimited times to different machine.

Also that pccasegear selling an OEM key not FPP key.

again, I never seen any store selling FPP Windows 10.

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Thats normal retail price. Its been that for Home edition since Vista, changing bit with £$€120-165 range. Microsoft site has the static price and you can usually get it bit cheaper from retailers. OEM versions are usually some 30-40% cheaper (these would be legit OEMs, not those super-cheap keys).

@Ziggzu, OEM means its single-use key. Once installed can't be transferred. They are cheaper than retail (1 per device but can be transferred) because they are intended for system builders, laptop manufacturers and so on. Home edition is the one you are looking for. There's one version below that, but it lacks many major features. One up would be Pro. I don't know what "Full" would mean. I would recommend you man-up and get retail or legit OEM. You can also continue with Win8 or 8.1 (requires call to MS), they have support still for few more years. There isn't at the moment any "lifetime" versions for Windows. Microsoft has support length for each OS and we can't know for sure if they do free upgrade options when new OS arrives. Or are they going for Linux and Apple route of just updating one version of OS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats normal retail price. Its been that for Home edition since Vista, changing bit with £$€120-165 range. Microsoft site has the static price and you can usually get it bit cheaper from retailers. OEM versions are usually some 30-40% cheaper (these would be legit OEMs, not those super-cheap keys).

@Ziggzu, OEM means its single-use key. Once installed can't be transferred. They are cheaper than retail (1 per device but can be transferred) because they are intended for system builders, laptop manufacturers and so on. Home edition is the one you are looking for. There's one version below that, but it lacks many major features. One up would be Pro. I don't know what "Full" would mean. I would recommend you man-up and get retail or legit OEM. You can also continue with Win8 or 8.1 (requires call to MS), they have support still for few more years. There isn't at the moment any "lifetime" versions for Windows. Microsoft has support length for each OS and we can't know for sure if they do free upgrade options when new OS arrives. Or are they going for Linux and Apple route of just updating one version of OS.

Thanks for the reply, I think I get it now, so OEM is 1-use but it will stay valid as long as you don't try to deactivate it and re activate on another machine (it will no longer be valid) but a FPP (Retail) can be used on any machine and moved at any time but only 1 simultaneously?

And don't worry about me manning up and buying the proper one; my intention was never to buy a shady/distrusted key for Windows. So this here from a store I have bought from before is the correct FPP (Retail) key that will work on any 1 machine simultaneously, and IS transferrable in the future if required (e.g to a new storage space?)

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/619985/Microsoft-Windows-10-Home-Retail-3264-Bit-Flash-Drive

Thanks in advance.

Yup.

Thanks in advance.

Just making sure. There are some cheap people out there. I admit that I have OEM copy, but at least I paid full price of €90 for it back in 2010.

Both OEM and retail will be fine with changing most part. Its the motherboard that matters. The linked one is just right. It will be valid for 1 PC at the time for as long as you wish to use it. Even when MS finally pulls the plug and stops security updates.

Last, if there's next time possibility to register key for free upgrade, I can recommend doing some research on conditions. I also thought that it would mean I have to change OS right away. Instead I did register key and turned all automatic updates off. I had the right to upgrade reserved for 1.5 years until this January when I finally moved from Win7 to Win10.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks all for the input, looks like I will be buying another of the same I already have on my desktop PC, as that seems to be working perfectly at the moment.

Topic marked as solved.

14 hours ago, Ziggzu said:

Thanks all for the replies. The main issues I face are that

1. I don't think I'm going to be able to find the windows 8 key and

As I said in my previous post, I believe Windows 8 works the same way as Windows 10 when it comes to keys - that is, it detects your motherboard and remembers it was licensed, so you don't need to actually have or know your key to reinstall.  It should just detect it automatically.

14 hours ago, Ziggzu said:

2. My current laptop drive (HDD) is failing so it needs to be replaced with the SSD I bought.

That doesn't change anything about reinstallation.  The key is tied to your motherboard or other "critical" components, not the HDD/SSD.

@Ryan_VickersHmm... I downloaded Windows 10 and installed it on my laptop yesterday with the new SSD in it; didn't enter an activation code and it seems to be working fine, it even did what I think were 3 updates/restarts... Does this mean that I'm not going to have to buy another key/code, however I though it might be something to do with me signing in on it with my Microsoft account, or being on the same network as my Desktop (with Windows 10 home)

4 hours ago, Ziggzu said:

@Ryan_VickersHmm... I downloaded Windows 10 and installed it on my laptop yesterday with the new SSD in it; didn't enter an activation code and it seems to be working fine, it even did what I think were 3 updates/restarts... Does this mean that I'm not going to have to buy another key/code, however I though it might be something to do with me signing in on it with my Microsoft account, or being on the same network as my Desktop (with Windows 10 home)

Could be MS account one. But you do get 30-day full trial period anyway. You can go to settings -> Updates & Security -> Activation and check what it says. Also, if the account has key from another activated PC on it, check the other PC too to be sure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Ziggzu said:

I'm not sure if it just detected and upgraded the license on that PC (to be clear, by "upgraded", I mean granted an additional license for Win 10 on that computer, without affecting your Windows 8 license), or if it got the license from your MS account, but regardless it sounds like it's all fully working and legit.  No need to buy anything, just as I suspected ;)

On 5/25/2018 at 2:11 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

So you can still use old keys, but you need to do a fresh install and only activate once you can go through the desktop.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :(