New EU data laws started today and complaints have already been made against Google and Facebook.

Everyone in the EU had been getting emails from every company they have signed up to in the past informing us of their updated privacy policy and trying to get us to opt in to marketing in preparation for GDPR which came into effect today 25/05/2018. Non EU citizens have likely been getting them too.

GDPR is the EU's new flagship regulation designed to limit companies power over your data and how they can use it. It also is enforced by huge fines of up to 4% of a companies global turnover.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44252327

Google and Facebook accused of breaking GDPR laws on the first day the came into effect.

Complaints have been filed against Facebook, Google, Instagram and WhatsApp within hours of the new GDPR data protection law taking effect.

The companies are accused of forcing users to consent to targeted advertising to use the services.

Privacy group noyb.eu led by activist Max Schrems said people were not being given a "free choice".

If the complaints are upheld, the websites may be forced to change how they operate, and they could be fined.

What's the issue?

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new EU law that changes how personal data can be collected and used. Even companies based outside the EU must follow the new rules if offering their services in the EU.

In its four complaints, noyb.eu argues that the named companies are in breach of GDPR because they have adopted a "take it or leave it approach".

The activist group says customers must agree to having their data collected, shared and used for targeted advertising, or delete their accounts.

This, the organisation suggests, falls foul of the new rules because forcing people to accept wide-ranging data collection in exchange for using a service is prohibited under GDPR.

"The GDPR explicitly allows any data processing that is strictly necessary for the service - but using the data additionally for advertisement or to sell it on needs the users' free opt-in consent," said noyb.eu in a statement.

"GDPR is very pragmatic on this point: whatever is really necessary for an app is legal without consent, the rest needs a free 'yes' or 'no' option."

Privacy advocate Max Schrems said: "Many users do not know yet that this annoying way of pushing people to consent is actually forbidden under GDPR in most cases."

Also sites that are not targeted at EU citizens (such as US news outlets) are starting to block EU citizens from accessing their services though fear of being fined by the EU. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44248448

A number of high-profile US news websites are temporarily unavailable in Europe after new European Union rules on data protection came into effect.

The Chicago Tribune and LA Times were among those posting messages saying they were currently unavailable in most European countries.

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives EU citizens more rights over how their information is used.

The measure is an effort by EU lawmakers to limit tech firms' powers.

Well, this was to be expected. I won't be surprised if nobody at facebook exactly knows where all the data of everyone is going to and how it's all connected.

edit: funny detail. If a non-eu company has data from eu citizens. And they deny access now like LA times, they are also violating the GDPR because you need to be able to ask them to delete everything.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Well well what a surprise. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So now it's either leave or share data. What if options were share data or pay subscription fee, would that comply with GDPR? 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I don't see the point of us news sites blocking EU citizens. Can't they just not collect any more info other than the number that visits and be ok (not linked to those that visit)? 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Fooshi said:

If they can't data mine you to shit for revenue, you're essentially just wasting their bandwidth. We can't have any of that now, can we?

They can still garner revenues through advertising the old fashion way though. That does not necessitate tracking of any sorts.

My dear newpage-extension for Chrome Toby is also doing a "opt in or gtfo!" thing.  Haven't decided what action I will take put probably delete my account and file a complaint and find another new page extension..

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 16.51.15.png

4 hours ago, Fooshi said:

If they can't data mine you to shit for revenue, you're essentially just wasting their bandwidth. We can't have any of that now, can we?

They only really need the number of visitors to get add money right?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Oh this is going to be fun.

Especially with Facebook as Zuckerberg really didn't impress the MEP's very much on his hearing.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

6 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

My dear newpage-extension for Chrome Toby is also doing a "opt in or gtfo!" thing.  Haven't decided what action I will take put probably delete my account and file a complaint and find another new page extension..

-snip-

The fact that you have to agree to receive spam emails to use something is fucked up.

8 hours ago, Qwickshot said:

Also sites that are not targeted at EU citizens (such as US news outlets) are starting to block EU citizens from accessing their services though fear of being fined by the EU. 

Unfortunately, I've noticed it today as well.

Certain US sites simply blocked me :/

Their "agree to our ToS or get the F**k out" policy is simply ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, NMS said:

The fact that you have to agree to receive spam emails to use something is fucked up.

In theory, @Cheezdoodlez could simply accept it and afterwards simply block the incoming emails (spam filter).

That being said, he shouldn't be obliged to accept it in the first place if he doesn't want to.

51 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Their "agree to our ToS or get the F**k out" policy is simply ridiculous.

Not sure I agree, you don't have to use their service nor is it a public service (aka state funded for all citizens). Your choice is to use the service or not.

49 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

In theory, @Cheezdoodlez could simply accept it and afterwards simply block the incoming emails (spam filter).

That being said, he shouldn't be obliged to accept it in the first place if he doesn't want to.

Again your not obliged to use the service if you don't like the conditions you are signing up to. Companies that offer the 'free' model have to generate revenue somehow. Targeted ads are worth so much more $ than generic ones to the sites that serve them.

Would you pay actual $ every week or month to use it? Imagine you had to pay for every site and service used online, it would add up real fast and people would just move back to the free option if it still existed.

51 minutes ago, NMS said:

44 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Yeah. I could just block it but the fact they leave me no choice to opt-out of receiving spam is bullshit. Sad to see my absolut favourite extension go. I guess I could file a complaint to someone official and/or write to the developers telling them they are breaching GDPR but I dont think it will get anywhere but a response from the devs "dont like it? fuck off!"

2 minutes ago, Qwickshot said:

Not sure I agree, you don't have to use their service nor is it a public service (aka state funded for all citizens). Your choice is to use the service or not.

Again your not obliged to use the service if you don't like the conditions you are signing up to. Companies that offer the 'free' model have to generate revenue somehow. Targeted ads are worth so much more $ than generic ones to the sites that serve them.

Would you pay actual $ every week or month to use it? Imagine you had to pay for every site and service used online, it would add up real fast and people would just move back to the free option if it still existed.

if you re-read the OP you can clearly see that this is in violation of the new GDPR, hence the lawsuits against Facebook and google.

2 minutes ago, Qwickshot said:

They can generate cash in many ways other than by using pervasively data.

I'm not really sure it's really more juicy for companies to do targeted ads. I am fairly confident that normal ads work just as well as targeted ones. Solely because normal ones target websites for what they display, so you can still get your ad to the right people anyway.

Targeted ads are probably just a made up way to make extra cash for something that'll have the same return value anyway.

The only difference is how intrusive Google and the likes are with everyone s privacy.

I had to write this brief privacy policy last weekend for work

pp.PNG.d65248992dbb97103af97bc82da1fff6.PNG

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

There was a mini-discussion at work on whether we had to worry about the GDPR if we're using a mailing list through mailchimp. Still couldn't come up with a verdict, though I have seen emails from lists I subscribe to that ask you to update your settings.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Just now, VegetableStu said:

image broken for me ._.

it's uploaded to the forums wtf lol here's a different one 

pplargeblur.thumb.png.df5b1a3d0b3418ecaa2bff2caf2487c2.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

47 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I had to write this brief privacy policy last weekend for work

pp.PNG.d65248992dbb97103af97bc82da1fff6.PNG

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it's uploaded to the forums wtf lol here's a different one 

- snip -

Not readable

Wouldn't call this brief though :P

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Not readable

Wouldn't call this brief though :P

Not meant to be readable, lol I dont want to link where I work to a shitposting account on a forum 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Not meant to be readable, lol I dont want to link where I work to a shitposting account on a forum 

Already figured that out xD

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

mods can get you location or IP which will then allow them to know where you are logged in from, i'm almost certain you logged into it a work at least once. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

mods can get you location or IP which will then allow them to know where you are logged in from, i'm almost certain you logged into it a work at least once. 

into a work? 

Yes, I dont always use a vpn at work. No, I don't care. The mods aren't gonna go posting where I work all over the forum for giggles. I'm pretty sure with some work anyone can dox this name. Just dont literally wanna post my PP on here lol. 

And the location they would get would lead them to my city not my work lol 

muh specs 

All parts black