Windows XP Embbeded upgrade to Win 10 embbeded ?

gbergeron

Hi,

I am the IT in a small business. We have 20 Thin PC's with Windows XP Embedded.

I am wondering if it's upgradable to win10 embedded ?

To begin with, does win10 even have an embedded version ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Hi,

I am the IT in a small business. We have 20 Thin PC's with Windows XP Embedded.

I am wondering if it's upgradable to win10 embedded ?

To begin with, does win10 even have an embedded version ?

There's no embedded version of Windows 10. Theoretically, windows 10 "IoT" could be used in situations where Embedded XP is being used right now, but it's only available to OEM's for preloading.

In any event, there's no upgrade path directly from XP to Windows 10. You would have to upgrade interim to Windows 7 Embedded enterprise first.

If you want the easiest upgrade path and want to stick with Embedded, you may have no choice but to stick with Windows 7 embedded, which can be upgraded directly from XP. No guarantees on success however, XP is pretty crusty by this point.

13 minutes ago, userzero said:

11 minutes ago, Tabs said:

There's no embedded version of Windows 10. Theoretically, windows 10 "IoT" could be used in situations where Embedded XP is being used right now, but it's only available to OEM's for preloading.

In any event, there's no upgrade path directly from XP to Windows 10. You would have to upgrade interim to Windows 7 Embedded enterprise first.

If you want the easiest upgrade path and want to stick with Embedded, you may have no choice but to stick with Windows 7 embedded, which can be upgraded directly from XP. No guarantees on success however, XP is pretty crusty by this point.

Thanks for help guys

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Well there is W10 WTSC but it's not very easy to get.

But the thing is, XP and W10 are so different you should check if the software keeps working. It's a massive jump.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you company uses XP embedded, I'm assuming nothing is done on the machines except logging onto a Terminal Server / RDSH? If so, there's no need to upgrade the software as there is no actual interaction with the system from the internet. Thin clients that run this OS don't even have write access or persistence typically.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 5/25/2018 at 8:12 AM, NelizMastr said:

If you company uses XP embedded, I'm assuming nothing is done on the machines except logging onto a Terminal Server / RDSH? If so, there's no need to upgrade the software as there is no actual interaction with the system from the internet. Thin clients that run this OS don't even have write access or persistence typically.

Yeah they just connect to a remote desktop server so nothing done on the local machine...

Thing is they now need sound and internet on the local machine and in RDS they don't, and they don't have it neither in the local machine so either we are going to replace them with PC's which are i5 first gen 4 gb ram 500gb hdd or I find a solution.

So if something not too sketchy come in your mind...

Please note that our servers are hosted by a hosting company so I don't have access to change settings that much in the RDS and they are poor service so gotta be something else

On 5/25/2018 at 7:31 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

Windows IoT Enterprise is the current one targeted for thin clients in a business organization setting.

I have seen on Microsoft Website that it seems we would need to buy licences for IoT ?

Seems like there is no upgrade paths from win7 or xp ?

On 5/26/2018 at 8:05 PM, gbergeron said:

Seems like there is no upgrade paths from win7 or xp ?

Thin clients aren't meant to be upgraded. They're there to connect to RDS servers until they need to be replaced. I'd also advise against buying more old hardware. Why not buy some entry level business desktops with current gen i3s or pentiums? Should be fine.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I work in an environment where we have about 100 thin clients give or take. Most of them are running Embedded 7 and it works great for what it's designed to do. We had a few XP thin clients here and there, but I just threw them all out. I didn't wanna bother trying to install 7 on it. they're old and slow. 

I suggest you talk to your manager and talk about buying new thin clients. or you can try to install an embedded version of 7 ( or 8 if there is one) on them. Make sure to upgrade the ram though. most XP machine have 512mb or even a gig. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

17 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Thin clients aren't meant to be upgraded. They're there to connect to RDS servers until they need to be replaced. I'd also advise against buying more old hardware. Why not buy some entry level business desktops with current gen i3s or pentiums? Should be fine.

I don't make that choice unfortunately.

I am forced to order i5 first gen with 4 gb ram and 500gb hdd to replace the thin clients...

8 hours ago, gbergeron said:

I am forced to order i5 first gen with 4 gb ram and 500gb hdd to replace the thin clients...

Yay for old refurb hardware that'll kick the bucket in a matter of months...

8 hours ago, gbergeron said:

I've looked into upgrading some of our thin clients aswell, but I couldn't find a good image for Windows 10 Iot core for a thin client. Also found out that it might not be a good idea to upgrade the OS of a thin client to an OS that it isn't designed for. Drivers are gonna be a pain in the ass.

Just buy a small shitbox refurbished computer with a dual core and some ram just enough to run Windows 10. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p