Apple knew the iPhone 6 would bend before they released the product

Master Disaster
9 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Which is how my friend busted her first iphone 6... She was laughing at the fact I fell on my ass on my steps and same shit happened to her.

Kinda the case of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object isn't it? Apple isn't to blame for users falling on their phones that are not designed to be fallen on. 

You aren't going to blame IKEA when you drop and break their Vases are you? You can criticize them for making a fragile vase, but ultimately it is not their fault that it broke. 

"Oh no! My iPhone couldn't withstand hundreds of pounds of tensile pressure! Its all Apples fault!"

/s

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Which is how my friend busted her first iphone 6... She was laughing at the fact I fell on my ass on my steps and same shit happened to her. My el cheapo blu studio was fine but her phone was phone for.... Fast forward to when I got my lg v10, my phone dropped when I took off the case from about knee height and got a few scratches while her iphone looked like someone took a mallet to it. She now has an iphone 7 and I continuously tease her that she had 3 phones in the span of 2 years

I bought my friend an Otterbox for her own iPhone 7, which I consider a very good investment due to her klutziness.

I find it difficult to want to carry such an expensive device in my pocket all the time, though I also like performances, so I went with a china flagship phone for my current device.  However, I've never lost a phone to accidental damage and tend to take care of my stuff, so ironically, I may be a very good candidate for an expensive flagship.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Kinda the case of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object isn't it? Apple isn't to blame for users falling on their phones that are not designed to be fallen on. 

You aren't going to blame IKEA when you drop and break their Vases are you? You can criticize them for making a fragile vase, but ultimately it is not their fault that it broke. 

If my lg v10 and a cheap blu can survive a short drop like that, why couldn't the iphone not bend either ? Most phones if not all can survive minor falls

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I bought my friend an Otterbox for her own iPhone 7, which I consider a very good investment due to her klutziness.

I find it difficult to want to carry such an expensive device in my pocket all the time, though I also like performances, so I went with a china flagship phone for my current device.  However, I've never lost a phone to accidental damage and tend to take care of my stuff, so ironically, I may be a very good candidate for an expensive flagship.

All my phones cheap or expensive take the same kind of abuse... Either my nephew or baby cousin drops it a lot or I just toss in on my computer desk or chest of drawers a lot. Not to mention my phone regularly drops off my bed onto a tiled floor when me and my gf play fight

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

If my lg v10 and a cheap blu can survive a short drop like that, why couldn't the iphone not bend either ? Most phones if not all can survive minor falls

The answer is simple. Design choices. In engineering there are always tradeoffs with whatever design you choose. It is up to the designers of the product to decide if those trade offs are worth it. 

The iPhone 6 design was worth it. Sure a few people bent their phones, but that design inspired the lineup for the next 3 years and the design was improved on from the bad PR of the first design. 

The situations in which the iPhone 6 would bend were just too rare to be of any consequence. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The answer is simple. Design choices. In engineering there are always tradeoffs with whatever design you choose. It is up to the designers of the product to decide if those trade offs are worth it. 

The iPhone 6 design was worth it. Sure a few people bent their phones, but that design inspired the lineup for the next 3 years and the design was improved on from the bad PR of the first design. 

The situations in which the iPhone 6 would bend were just too rare to be of any consequence. 

So rare Apple started re-enforcing the phone and adding under fill to some components

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

So rare Apple started re-enforcing the phone and adding under fill to some components

Yep. They were tired of being under scrutiny from idiotic YouTubers manually bending their phones. 

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yep. They were tired of being under scrutiny from idiotic YouTubers manually bending their phones. 

They will allways be under scrutiny from "idiotic" youtubers that manually bend phones. Just like any company.

People want durable phones. And bending, fires, scratches, drops among other thing are ways to test durability. Though you could argue that the tests arent very scientific, they are better than no tests. 

Notice the lack of phones that feil bend-tests the past years?

49 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

People tried that when this "story" came to light many years ago. Unless you were significantly overweight, you couldn't bent an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus by sitting on it. 

I know someone who being only about 210 broke a S4 by sitting down on concrete with it in his back pocket. 

it isn't hard to do.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I know someone who being only about 210 broke a S4 by sitting down on concrete with it in his back pocket. 

it isn't hard to do.

So why aren't we raging and suing Samsung? Oh, because its not "hip"....

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

They will allways be under scrutiny from "idiotic" youtubers that manually bend phones. Just like any company.

People want durable phones. And bending, fires, scratches, drops among other thing are ways to test durability. Though you could argue that the tests arent very scientific, they are better than no tests. 

Notice the lack of phones that feil bend-tests the past years?

Cause ya know Samsung didn't get a shit ton of lack for  the note 7 being a pocket nuke but at least they noted it was their  fault and rectified the situation. All apple is doind here is pouring fuel on a fire that was dying.

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

it isn't hard to do.

Read my comment about friend she's about 90-110lbs and she fell on her ip6 and bent it and it wasn't even that high of a fall.

41 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Accepting a class action only means that there is potentially a problem.......the only thing that comes out of a court that is worth anything is the ruling. Which there has been none. 

I do not believe the iPhone 6 had a design flaw. Sure it bent, but if you decide to break anything you will eventually be able to do it. 

I would say that users who can prove that their phones were bent accidentally, from normal use, might be entitled to something, not anything that was worth all of the hassle of the class action, but something. That's just how these class actions work. 

I think you misunderstand what's happening here, the case has already been reviewed and allowed to move forward by a federal judge. The case is now in the discovery phase meaning the courts are reviewing Apples documentation. The judge has also already dismissed Apple motion to dismiss the case.

There's no doubt Apple is guilty in this case, the case is focusing on whether Apple knew about the problem pre launch (and we already know they did) and whether Apple waited to long to address the problem.

30 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Tens of thousands (note multiple tens) of people have joined the class action suit to date. Doesn't seem all that rare to me.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Tens of thousands (note multiple tens) of people have joined the class action suit to date. Doesn't seem all that rare to me.

Tens of thousands of people is nobody. Do you have any idea how many iPhone 6 models were sold? 

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

There's no doubt Apple is guilty in this case, the case is focusing on whether Apple knew about the problem pre launch (and we already know they did) and whether Apple waited to long to address the problem.

No ruling, no value to your statement. It's that simple. 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Tens of thousands of people is nobody. Do you have any idea how many iPhone 6 models were sold?

Remember that the huge majority of people that owned an iPhone 6 either don't know this class is happening or they don't care to get their $10 cheque in the mail. Tens of thousands is a lot for any class action.

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I can't even come up with a response to this, tens of thousands of units (that we know of) have failed and you say that's nothing? Wake up and smell the coffee.

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No ruling, no value to your statement. It's that simple. 

Gosh you really are stubborn aren't you. First I like how you cut all of the validation out of the quote. Second I'll tell you why you're wrong.

A class action suit is a civil matter, not criminal. There's no innocent until proven guilty here. There's an established routine. First the case is submitted and litigation proceeds. Apple have a chance to explain themselves and move to have the case dismissed. A judge (in this case a federal judge no less) then reviews the case and evidence and decides if the case should proceed or not. The judge not only dismissed Apples motion to dismiss but also simultaneously moved for the case to proceed. This means the judge feels Apple are in the wrong and it's in the public interest to spend the money on the investigation that will follow. The courts have subpoenaed Apples documentation and again, the courts are looking to see if Apple knew about the issues pre launch, if they lied to customers and if they took too long to offer support on the issue.

This isn't hear say, it's an established fact. How could the courts be investigating any of those things if they didn't already think Apple are guilty?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This isn't hear say, it's an established fact. How could the courts be investigating any of those things if they didn't already think Apple are guilty?

Even if they are, nothing is going to change. They’ll pay whatever measly appropriations the court thinks are necessary and they will just keep doing business as usual. 

The only peole thay win in a class action like this are the lawyers. Anybody who bent their phone already lost years ago and they are going to lose even if they win....

Thats why this whole topic was just pointless to begin with. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Even if they are, nothing is going to change. They’ll pay whatever measly appropriations the court thinks are necessary and they will just keep doing business as usual. 

The only peole thay win in a class action like this are the lawyers. Anybody who bent their phone already lost years ago and they are going to lose even if they win....

Thats why this whole topic was just pointless to begin with. 

That's probably the only thing you've said in this thread that I agree with, other than the last sentence that is.

FTR I believe Apple have already begun the process of settling out of court.

3 hours ago, XenosTech said:

All my phones cheap or expensive take the same kind of abuse... Either my nephew or baby cousin drops it a lot or I just toss in on my computer desk or chest of drawers a lot. Not to mention my phone regularly drops off my bed onto a tiled floor when me and my gf play fight

I take measures to avoid direct sunlight on my device, let alone tossing it around.

Growing up in a household with widly varying income levels, I learned to take care of the stuff I get.

My eyes see the past…

I heard about this when the 6 came out I had one it didn't bend. It seemed to require a decent amount of force to bend the phone i saw online. Mock ups of the iPhone 6 showed a bent display at the time. Sounds like some got an undocumented feature. Everyone's wanted curves after the Samsung galaxy s7 edge.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It hopefully stops Apple and other manufacturers from trying to cheap out on materials for the sake of "material design" or "sleekness". It doesn't matter if the lawyers win so long as a message is sent to these companies to "stop making cheap s#it". You're paying $800 for a phone that bends just because you placed it in your back pocket, which some people do, or by holding it (we aren't allowed to touch our phones, according to Apple). Seeing Apple guilty will set a nice precedent for Samsung (Note 7 combustions) and other manufacturers that they'd better not make a device that isn't up to par with consumer needs. 

And before you volley "what about this" at me, I've had a Motorola Razr that has survived multiple falls, dunks in water, you name it and it probably happened to the phone. Its hinge and screen still worked until the day the battery held no charge and was forever attached to the wall.

This is ~20 years later and we're regressing on longevity. This should not be happening to devices that cost this much.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I take measures to avoid direct sunlight on my device, let alone tossing it around.

Growing up in a household with widly varying income levels, I learned to take care of the stuff I get.

I usually buy a phone every 2 years so I don't excessively abuse them, well except for when I'm tracing network lines lol

9 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I usually buy a phone every 2 years so I don't excessively abuse them, well except for when I'm tracing network lines lol

I pretty much keep my stuff until it no longer serves what I need it to do, which can be quite a long time.

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

I pretty much keep my stuff until it no longer serves what I need it to do, which can be quite a long time.

Sounds like me in the days of blackberries... speaking of which I have to see if that bold I found still work

On 5/26/2018 at 7:40 PM, ARikozuM said:

It hopefully stops Apple and other manufacturers from trying to cheap out on materials for the sake of "material design" or "sleekness". It doesn't matter if the lawyers win so long as a message is sent to these companies to "stop making cheap s#it". You're paying $800 for a phone that bends just because you placed it in your back pocket, which some people do, or by holding it (we aren't allowed to touch our phones, according to Apple). Seeing Apple guilty will set a nice precedent for Samsung (Note 7 combustions) and other manufacturers that they'd better not make a device that isn't up to par with consumer needs. 

And before you volley "what about this" at me, I've had a Motorola Razr that has survived multiple falls, dunks in water, you name it and it probably happened to the phone. Its hinge and screen still worked until the day the battery held no charge and was forever attached to the wall.

This is ~20 years later and we're regressing on longevity. This should not be happening to devices that cost this much.

There's a very big difference between a modern phone and a twenty year old flip phone. One is a tiny and very thick phone with a lot of plastic and very little screen where the screen is mostly enclosed and/or plastic itself. Modern phones are slim slabs of glass because that's what people want -- Motorola has made several durable smartphones over the years, but they never win because people overall aren't too interested.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.