Apple rejects Steam Link app, citing "business conflicts"

D13H4RD

Well, this hasn't gone well. 

It's been reported that despite initially being approved, the Steam Link app has been rejected by Apple for distribution on the App Store, citing "business conflicts". 

On Monday, May 7th, Apple approved the Steam Link app for release. On Weds, May 9th, Valve released news of the app. The following morning, Apple revoked its approval citing business conflicts with app guidelines that had allegedly not been realized by the original review team. Valve appealed, explaining the Steam Link app simply functions as a LAN-based remote desktop similar to numerous remote desktop applications already available on the App Store. Ultimately, that appeal was denied leaving the Steam Link app for iOS blocked from release. The team here spent many hours on this project and the approval process, so we're clearly disappointed. But we hope Apple will reconsider in the future.

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/apple-rejects-steam-link-app-for-ios/

Personally, I can't help but feel something is up. The Steam Link app in essence is basically mirroring what's displaying on your PC and streams it over a local network to a device that has the app installed or a dedicated Steam Link system. And if Apple cites that it rejected it due to business conflicts, why is Splashtop, an app that mirrors the display of a PC running Windows or macOS and then streaming it onto a device, on the store for a long time already? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Either this is Apple being assholes like always, or Apple is planning to come out with some sort of gaming system or gaming Mac. I would guess the former.

Would Apple even make a Mac dedicated for gaming though? 

Many Mac users aren't the gaming type. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Would Apple even make a Mac dedicated for gaming though? 

Many Mac users aren't the gaming type. 

Hence why I said I suspect the former.

This is worrying. Apple lets all sorts of apps go on the app store when there are already almost duplicate version out there. I hope they don't release a 'gaming mac' because the amount of people who will fall for it, and pay ridiculous prices when they could build an awesome PC instead will be quite high (cough, cough, Razer). I really hope what @Max_Settings said is right, and they're just being a-holes.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Hence why I said I suspect the former.

Probably or just the guys who don't really understand it

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Probably or just the guys who don't really understand it

Apple is not a bunch of dummies, there's a reason they are the most valuable company in the world, they know what they are doing. I'm sure they understand what it is.

That angle does not apply here. Teamviewer is up and running on the store, and that is a multi-platform mirroring service. This is not so much an issue of what the app is, but rather what it has in order to make it work. There is something specific in how Steam Link works that Apple does not like, though since Apple is not giving any kind of useful information, all we can do is speculate.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

Apple is not a bunch of dummies, there's a reason they are the most valuable company in the world, they know what they are doing. I'm sure they understand what it is.

Yeah. And even if some of the higher-ups don't, there are plenty of tech-savvy employees who know exactly what it is.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

3 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

That angle does not apply here. Teamviewer is up and running on the store, and that is a multi-platform mirroring service. This is not so much an issue of what the app is, but rather what it has in order to make it work. There is something specific in how Steam Link works that Apple does not like, though since Apple is not giving any kind of useful information, all we can do is speculate.

TV is not suitable for gaming though, I think it's the gaming specifically? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I kinda wish we knew tbh

Other than teamviewer, there's also moonlight stream which is available on both iOS and android but that only works on nvidia cards

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Oh wtf why? Apple isn't anywhere close to the desktop gaming market. I don't see why they would block the app on such grounds... Moonlight is even available on the store. 

This would only make sense if they had something planned. The Apple TV can't be compared as it's an iOS device on last gen SOCs.

On the other hand. Parsec is even better as it doesn't need any configuration for steaming over the world wide Web.

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

20 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

gaming Mac

HERETIC!

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

TV is not suitable for gaming though, I think it's the gaming specifically? 

What I suspect is that there is something with the technology, for instance how exactly the connection is established between the phone/tablet and a Steam-equipped computer that Apple has an issue with. Apple generally does not like the idea of using Bluetooth to directly communicate in parallel with another end device. Or perhaps the way that the application runs an internal virtual machine makes Apple interpret it as an emulator, which the company has a zero-tolerance policy on.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

4 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

What I suspect is that there is something with the technology, for instance how exactly the connection is established between the phone/tablet and a Steam-equipped computer that Apple has an issue with. Apple generally does not like the idea of using Bluetooth to directly communicate in parallel with another end device. Or perhaps the way that the application runs an internal virtual machine makes Apple interpret it as an emulator, which the company has a zero-tolerance policy on.

Wait, maybe it's the Steam Controller? 

But then, Logitech sells an iPhone case that has physical game controls

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Wait, maybe it's the Steam Controller? 

I have not seen the Steam Link app, and I did not test it with a dummy Android phone just yet, so I cannot tell you for certain how this or that works. With that being said, the only reason I can see with the Controller being the cause of the rejection is if the controller connects to the PC instead of the iDevice. That would effectively make the iDevices secondary screens for the games in question, which gets into murky licensing grounds.

Time to sue Apple. Please do it, Valve. While you're suing Apple, stop attacking small indie visual novels for "nudity" unless* you're going to get rid of the big-ticket games that are similar. 

* "Unless" means "don't do it at all". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

ohh so that's why I couldn't find it.

Wait so why is moonlight allowed then?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Time to sue Apple. Please do it, Valve. While you're suing Apple, stop attacking small indie visual novels for "nudity" unless* you're going to get rid of the big-ticket games that are similar. 

* "Unless" means "don't do it at all". 

On what grounds could they sue? Is there really a case for being anti-competitive when Apple offers no such service? 

The App Store is their store after all, Valve does not have the right to be on the App Store. 

Not saying I agree with the repeal of the approval, but there could be something that we are missing in the code that isn't being reported on. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

On what grounds could they sue? Is there really a case for being anti-competitive when Apple offers no such service? 

I don't believe in coincidences. 

On Monday, May 7th, Apple approved the Steam Link app for release. On Weds, May 9th, Valve released news of the app. The following morning, [MAY 10], Apple revoked its approval citing business conflicts with app guidelines that had allegedly not been realized by the original review team

Either they became selective over their approval overnight once news of Steam Link was released or they think it's a blow for their business to allow its existence. We can already use Teamviewer and GoToMyPC for remote gaming, yet Steam Link is not approved by their guidelines?

Also, I didn't say anything about anti-competitive practices; Apple cited "business conflicts". Clarification within a court of law is going to be necessary. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

14 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Also, I didn't say anything about anti-competitive practices; Apple cited "business conflicts". Clarification within a court of law is going to be necessary. 

I still don't really see Valves case. They would need to be able to prove that Apple did this as a direct response to them, and right now, its only circumstantial. 

And I do believe in coincidences, they happen, that's just fact. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

gaming Mac

yea that aren't going to happen because of one thing:

Metal (their rendering api)

from memory if developers want to render 3D graphics on a mac they have to use metal, only one problem:

it's notoriously inefficient doing the thing it was designed for

it's so bad that anything using it has horrible performance even with a huge team working with it (even competent ones have a hard time)

a gaming mac would be some much of a commercial failure that it would rival the apple newton!

and i'm not even going to bother to talk about the price, as it would be an understatement of people said it would be expensive

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

13 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

yea that aren't going to happen because of one thing:

Metal (their rendering api)

from memory if developers want to render 3D graphics on a mac they have to use metal, only one problem:

it's notoriously inefficient doing the thing it was designed for

it's so bad that anything using it has horrible performance even with a huge team working with it (even competent ones have a hard time)

a gaming mac would be some much of a commercial failure that it would rival the apple newton!

and i'm not even going to bother to talk about the price, as it would be an understatement of people said it would be expensive

A) Metal is just the low level API they allow. There's also OpenGL for a high level API. The only thing really not allowed directly is Vulkan.

B) Metal has just fine performance. It's pretty much on par with DX12 and Vulkan, and substantially better than OpenGL. Not sure what you're talking about.

C) MoltenVK is now available for free to impliment applications written in Vulkan on top of Metal. It has a slight performance hit and a few design limitations, but it will work fine for the vast majority of applications.

D) Yeah... it's harder to write applications for a low level API than for one that does everything for you. I'm not sure why that's a surprise.